Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chuck Stoddard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
I just read that Chuck Stoddard passed away. He was a major player back in the 70s when it came to Porsches, and his catalog was the Bible when looking for parts.
Unobtanium-inc
A true Porsche man in full! RIP!
HAM Inc
Very sorry to hear this.
I did some work for Chuck about ten years ago for one of his personal 356's. I found him to be a very gracious and interesting gentleman. I really enjoyed doing business with him. He shared some great stories from his long history in the world of Porsche.

God Speed Mr. Stoddard.
SO.O.C914er
Sad news. Someone we owe a great deal of respect to. sad.gif
914Sixer
He really was the man that was all about Porsche.
Lucky9146
Sad to hear. I was fortunate to meet him at a Stoddard swap meet in the late 90's and I bought a 356B Workshop Manual from him that was in new condition. Still have it and a picture of him and I with that manual. He told me it was his personal manual that he brought back from Germany in his suitcase. Humble guy and I don't think he thought of himself as the icon he was. He will be missed.
SKL1
Just heard it today from a mutual friend. What an icon. When I started in this Porsche ride back in the late 60's his dealership was mecca. I remember drooling over his "outlaw" 914-6 (before there were outlaws!) at Lake Geneva Parade (my first) in 1972.
A friend and I drove his 911 from IA to OH to have him fix a fender bender as he trusted no one in Iowa City at the time...

You probably ate ice cream in a modded GMC motorhome as he was known for hotrodding them!!! Lots of great memories..

RIP
Cairo94507
RIP Mr. Stoddard. beerchug.gif
stownsen914
When I was a kid back in the 1970s, Chuck brought his 917 to a couple PCA DE events at Watkins Glen. Wow, was that cool! I spoke to him once as well when he answered a wanted ad I'd placed in Panorama. We spoke for a bit, and he seemed like a nice guy. He certainly was a pillar of the Porsche community. RIP.
cdn914
Has always been a pleasure to buy parts over the years from his business.
rgalla9146
My brother bought a 356 C cab in Willoughby down the road from Stoddard
(around 1976.... he still has it ) we spent the day enjoying a tour of the shop and
parts department with Chuck.
Great guy, great enthusiast. RIP
Racer
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 15 2019, 03:37 PM) *

When I was a kid back in the 1970s, Chuck brought his 917 to a couple PCA DE events at Watkins Glen. Wow, was that cool! I spoke to him once as well when he answered a wanted ad I'd placed in Panorama. We spoke for a bit, and he seemed like a nice guy. He certainly was a pillar of the Porsche community. RIP.

I recall seeing his 917 at the PCA Parade in 1979. Even watched him spin it coming into Turn 5 at Summit Point.

Certainly a lifesaver in the early days of US Porche-dom, particularly the 356 crowd. Stoddard and Holbert were two of the best "east coast" places to ask questions and get parts/support for these weird German cars. Sad to see another pioneer slip away.
campbellcj
RIP Chuck. May you row the gears happily for eternity. Stoddard Parts customer over 25 years - one of my main "go to" suppliers - never a single hassle with them.
Rusty
Damn. RIP. sad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a Porsche community icon and a great guy RIP Chuck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.