Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjusting screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
Hello,

as part of my next valve adjustment I'd like to replace the valve adjustment screws (my mechanic said my screws may be worn out unevenly). They are the 8mm ones.

My choices at Pelican seem to be made by Dansk ($2.50 ea), Kolb ($6.50 ea), or Porsche ($14.50 ea). Does anyone have experience with the Dansk ones? Is it justified to pay 3 or 5 times more for the other brands?

Also, how can I check if the ones I have are really worn out? Maybe I don't really need to replace them at all?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

A.
914Sixer
Kolb is the original supplier if that makes any difference.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the factory ones have a better finish on them

QUOTE(andreic @ Oct 16 2019, 10:28 AM) *

Hello,

as part of my next valve adjustment I'd like to replace the valve adjustment screws (my mechanic said my screws may be worn out unevenly). They are the 8mm ones.

My choices at Pelican seem to be made by Dansk ($2.50 ea), Kolb ($6.50 ea), or Porsche ($14.50 ea). Does anyone have experience with the Dansk ones? Is it justified to pay 3 or 5 times more for the other brands?

Also, how can I check if the ones I have are really worn out? Maybe I don't really need to replace them at all?

A.

porschetub
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2019, 09:06 AM) *

the factory ones have a better finish on them

QUOTE(andreic @ Oct 16 2019, 10:28 AM) *

Hello,

A.

Some say the cheap ones wear quickly due to incorrect hardening.
Mikey914
My money would be n Kolb.
The original metallurgy is important. I can machine an adjusting screw inexpensively, the cost is in the material and hardening. With the price Dansk has, I'm wondering the country of origin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.