Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
bkrantz
I remembered the cover for under the steering rack. A pretty ugly bit of metal.
bkrantz
I think I am addicted to metal work. I enjoyed an hour or so with hammer, dolly, and other stuff, and got to this. It still needs welding on a couple of cracks.
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 24 2020, 11:24 PM) *

I am curious about the paint. One trailing arm has reasonably intact black paint, but this side is almost paint-free.
IPB Image

So odd, mine had what I imagine to be the same "5" on the drivers side arm. I taped my off and kept it when I repainted it.

IPB Image
bkrantz
And not much paint on yours, too.
bkrantz
A bit of welding and grinding today, to finish up the steering cover panel.
bkrantz
And then one more round of hammer work and straightening. Ready for blasting, and paint or powder-coat (TBD).
bkrantz
With the table cleared, I got back to electrical work today. First up was the alternator.
bkrantz
This might be the original unit.
bkrantz
I pulled the rear cover. Pretty nasty.
bkrantz
Not sure this is even worth getting tested.
bkrantz
To warm up, I started with the ignition harness. First step was some cleaning to remove dirt, grease, and corrosion.
bkrantz
After a bit of work, it looks pretty good.
bkrantz
Anyone know where to source these hard plastic connector boxes?
bkrantz
The one problem to fix is a splice and non-stock connector.
bkrantz
Since the distance is short, I want to replace the entire wire, starting at the plug.
bkrantz
So that got me motivated to organize all my electrical tools and supplies. The trusty soldering iron.
bkrantz
My new crimp tool with multiple crimp dies.
bkrantz
My trusty old tool box filled with connectors and miscellaneous parts.
bkrantz
And my supply of wire, looking a bit low. And no heavier gauge yellow wire.
bkrantz
Before ordering more wire and parts, I need another look at the main harness. So out of the box again...
bkrantz
Laid out for tomorrow.
djway
Wolfsburg West has the dual male insulated connectors. Something like $3.50 each.
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Jul 28 2020, 11:29 PM) *

Wolfsburg West has the dual male insulated connectors. Something like $3.50 each.

Thanks!
bkrantz
More careful diagnosis of the main harness today. A few problem spots have extra wires spliced in, sometimes soldered...
bkrantz
Sometimes crimped.
bkrantz
Other places are missing connectors on the ends of wires.
bkrantz
And the mouse damage continues.
raynekat
Isn't electrical harness stuff fun?
Hate it, but it's always there.
Previous hack jobs where people have no idea what they are doing.....

I always use the non-insulated spades like what Belmetric carries:
https://www.belmetric.com/noninsulated-spades-c-19_164_200/

Plus some shrink sleeve to make it as "factory like" as possible.
Many times I don't have the exact color/stripe wire, so that's my compromise.

Good luck with this part of the job.
I'm currently going through the front trunk of the 911 correcting a lot of the same kind of nonsense.
Incorrect spades, connectors, etc.
I was fortunate on my 71 914 project to be able to purchase an NOS chassis wiring harness.
It was so much better than what was in the car.
There were a couple of mistakes in the harness that did need correcting still.
Hard to believe with an NOS harness, but Hans must have had one too many at the Haufbrau Haus the night before he built mine. Ha

And that looks like a great crimper you've got there.
I have a similar one.
They are indispensable when doing this kind of work.
bkrantz
Might be fun (or maybe what my PhD advisor called "sick fun"). I am still feeling optimistic--we'll see how long that lasts.
bkrantz
I stopped by the body shop today, and caught them shifting cars around. They had my 914 outside but all wrapped up. Should have gone into the paint booth after lunch and will be in primer by tomorrow.
76-914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 28 2020, 08:03 PM) *

So that got me motivated to organize all my electrical tools and supplies. The trusty soldering iron.

That damp sponge at hand tells me your no novice. shades.gif
djway
I order connectors at Digi Key in bulk and 100ft rolls of shrink tube. 2 to 1 shrink. I also use marine 3 to 1 when I need some heft around the area. It is amazing how quick you go through supplies doing a complete harness.
I used old hacked wire harness' for color matching wire.
One thing I learned is when a wire has been hacked near the terminus add extra wire and don't put the connector on until in the car. Guessed too short a couple of times....
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. I learned about soldering from my late FIL, who was a EE and ran his own component fabrication company.

And great tip about leaving new wires long until assembly.
bkrantz
More harness work today, still mostly in cleaning and inspection mode. The undercoat spray comes off quickly with GoofOff. It also takes off red paint overspray, but only after LOTS of rubbing.
bkrantz
Of course, as I clean wires I find more issues, ranging from tiny nicks in the insulation to more significant holes.
bkrantz
While sorting through the interior parts I rediscovered the hand written number under the dash. This does not match the car VIN, and the blue overspray does not match the original Bahia Red.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 31 2020, 07:17 PM) *

Of course, as I clean wires I find more issues, ranging from tiny nicks in the insulation to more significant holes.

You can use Plasti Dip on those small nicks
Cairo94507
That is the chassis number (not to be confused with he VIN) and that number should be stamped into the rear trunk floor of your car. Additionally, the dash frames rarely match the actual color of the car. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 1 2020, 03:26 AM) *

That is the chassis number (not to be confused with he VIN) and that number should be stamped into the rear trunk floor of your car. Additionally, the dash frames rarely match the actual color of the car. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the clarification. The original trunk floor was rusted away where the number was, so I have no record of that. It does make more sense that this was the original dash front.
bkrantz
My left replacement strut arrived from 914 Werke. A perfect replacement for the original strut that had mangled internal threads. Now I have all the parts ready for the powder coat shop next week.
bkrantz
I finished my main harness survey today, and found more "minor" problems.

Here's some evidence of a short circuit and some melting insulation.
bkrantz
And, hiding under some old tape, evidence of high quality PO mods.
bkrantz
Altogether, I found 30 problems to repair (so far). Look for the blue tape.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 1 2020, 07:03 PM) *

I finished my main harness survey today, and found more "minor" problems.

Here's some evidence of a short circuit and some melting insulation.

These are the areas I like to use the 3 to 1 marine grade shrink tube.
bkrantz
Trying to gather all the parts I will have powder-coated.

Here's my awesome red air filter housing.
bkrantz
Complete with moldy air filter.
bkrantz
While in a red mood, I pulled out the transaxle. I need to figure out how to clean this (and remove the red paint).
bkrantz
After muscling the trans into and around the parts cleaner, here is the red glory revealed.
bkrantz
One more item in the Red Collection: the intake runners.
bkrantz
At least the injectors are all green. Time to send these off for servicing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.