Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Back to wire work today. I started wrapping the harness with new tape, working forward from the rear firewall.
bkrantz
But working forward, I encountered segments that still have the genius PO undercoating, plus remnants of carpet glue and foam padding.
bkrantz
Unwrapping the original tape leaves spots of undercoat crud. Time for more GoofOff.
bkrantz
I got as far forward as the brake pedal switch. More fun tomorrow!
Frankvw
looking good. I bet this is a job (wire cleaning/wire wrapping) where you are alone and play your favourite music and work away the hours,,,,,
bkrantz
You are correct. I alternate between music and audio books depending on my mood.
bkrantz
Back to work today, cleaning and wrapping "forward" from the brake pedal switch. I am still carrying the leads for the relocated fuel pump forward.
bkrantz
Coming to the "big junction" near the fuse-relay panel. The wires for the fuel pump continue forward, through the big rubber grommet.
bkrantz
Wrapping all the branches at the junction.
bkrantz
I continued with all the wiring under the dash. That finishes everything in the interior and rear.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 20 2020, 07:14 PM) *

I continued with all the wiring under the dash. That finishes everything in the interior and rear.

nice! good job @bktantz!
bkrantz
More forward progress today. Here are all the leads for under the cowl done, except for the wires that will go to the relocated fuel pump. I will finish these after I mount the pump.
bkrantz
I made some progress on the last section, that feeds all the front lights. Slow going due to lots of spots of PO red overspray.
autopro
You are doing some great work wow! How are you removing the paint from the wires? Does it remove the markings on the wires when you do it? My harness is in very bad shape similar to yours and I will have to go through this process like you are doing.
bkrantz
QUOTE(autopro @ Aug 21 2020, 08:50 PM) *

You are doing some great work wow! How are you removing the paint from the wires? Does it remove the markings on the wires when you do it? My harness is in very bad shape similar to yours and I will have to go through this process like you are doing.

I have tried and use different things. The undercoating and greasy dirt come off easiest with GoofOff, but that does not work on paint. For light overspray, acetone works pretty well. For small spots of thicker paint (like between the original tape wrap), I scrape lightly with a new, sharp utility blade, and then use acetone. For really thick paint, I use a standard paint remover, but this does soften the sleeve material, so I use it carefully.

See the example below.
bkrantz
Onto the final section today, working towards the front lights. Here's some nasty PO red (and gold???) overspray.
bkrantz
After scraping and cleaning with acetone.
bkrantz
And the final bit has even more paint.
bkrantz
The last section all wrapped up.
bkrantz
That's it! The main harness all done, except for a few connectors that I will mount when I install the harness in the car.
bkrantz
While on a role, I attacked the ignition harness. This had a crimp connector in the middle of the power lead. In order to pull a new wire through the sleeve, I soldered it to the end of the old wire.
bkrantz
After squirting some soapy water in the first sleeve, I pulled the new wire through.
bkrantz
And then did the same with the second sleeve, to get the new wire to the multi-pin plug.
bkrantz
And then I moved the pin connector from the end of the old wire...
bkrantz
to the new wire.
bkrantz
Here's the pin back in the correct hole in the plug (I hope).
bkrantz
And the plug cap back in place.
bkrantz
And the ignition harness is ready to go (I will install the ring connector on the new wire when I have everything back on the engine).
djway
I don't remember, have you used a continuity tester on each line to confirm first you have a good circuit and that you have the correct wire to each point?
Easiest to check while out.
Excellent work on the harness.
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Aug 22 2020, 11:53 PM) *

I don't remember, have you used a continuity tester on each line to confirm first you have a good circuit and that you have the correct wire to each point?
Easiest to check while out.
Excellent work on the harness.

To be honest, I did some testing when I first inspected the harness, but found problems only where I could also see visible damage. After that I got lazy and did not test every wire or connector.
bkrantz
Another day another harness, this time for the alternator. The wires look very good, but the grommets are a bit crusty, and the sleeving is hard and stiff in placement.
bkrantz
I soaked the rubber with 303. I will see if things improve. And I ordered some new sleeve material, and may rebuild this entire harness.
bkrantz
I also started poking around the gauges, and popped them out of the panel.
bkrantz
The speedometer has some spots on the inside of the glass.
bkrantz
And the trip odometer reset does work, but the center digit does not roll consistently with the others. The bezel shows some evidence of prior opening. I may open it up again.
bkrantz
I took a close look (and more) at the center console today. It is basically solid, but needs some work. Check out the PO speaker holes. How else can you get 4 speakers in a 914?
bkrantz
BTW, if anyone wants some vintage electronics, just let me know. Installation not included!
bkrantz
Back to the console. All the original hardware is there.
bkrantz
Here are all the pieces, ready for repair and recovering.
bkrantz
The gauges look OK from the outside, and the bezel rings have never been opened. But the temp gauge has something loose inside rattling around. Oops.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 24 2020, 06:41 PM) *

I took a close look (and more) at the center console today. It is basically solid, but needs some work. Check out the PO speaker holes. How else can you get 4 speakers in a 914?

Back in the 80s I had a 914 with two 200watt amps, 2 crossovers, 2 six inch, 2 four inch and two tweeters. All speakers were in the doors.
It was like sitting inside high end headphones. smile.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Aug 24 2020, 10:38 PM) *

Back in the 80s I had a 914 with two 200watt amps, 2 crossovers, 2 six inch, 2 four inch and two tweeters. All speakers were in the doors.

This car was close, plus a complicated alarm system (with remote) and at least 2 hidden start-defeat switches.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 25 2020, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Aug 24 2020, 10:38 PM) *

This car was close, plus a complicated alarm system (with remote) and at least 2 hidden start-defeat switches.

Clifford alarm with micro kill switch, thats the combo smile.gif
bkrantz
I had some good luck today (I think). Before opening the temp gauge I rotated and tilted it, and a light bulb fell out of the lamp hole. The holder did have another bulb, so this happened some time in the past.

And when I applied some current to the gauge, it responded.
bkrantz
But less luck with the clock. I applied 12 volts but got nothing.
bkrantz
While I was testing my luck, I grabbed the horns. One makes good noise, the other is silent. So, .500 overall.
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 26 2020, 07:53 PM) *

But less luck with the clock. I applied 12 volts but got nothing.

There are some good articles on repairing the clocks. Looks like yours is the early, self-winding version. There is a low temperature solder joint inside the clock that acts as a fuse which is where they usually fail. On my clock, I just had to remelt the existing solder to reconnect the fuse. After that, a good clean and re-lubricating with clock oil and she has been ticking along just fine. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Thanks, Brent. I was looking at the info online this morning. Yes, I have the early version, with the access cover on the back attached with 3 nuts (one covered with a tamper-resistant cover).
bkrantz
Opened up, and with the classic "blown fuse". The small ring is part of a spring-loaded lever, and has pulled away from the soldered connection, presumably when it over-loaded and heated up.
bkrantz
Like Brent did, I re-attached the ring with the existing blob of low-temp solder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.