Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Here's the car back home, a bit more than 3 months after delivery to the body shop, and about 13 months since I started.

Still does not look true, but the color is current Porsche Racing Yellow.
bkrantz
Back in the work space--ready for the next phase.
bkrantz
I feel a bit paranoid about the lids and doors, so I borrowed some space from the coat/utility closet.
jaredmcginness
Man! I havn't clicked this thread since late last month. INSANE Paint!!!!! So excited for you. Looks absolutely amazing, I love the yellow. first.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Oct 9 2020, 06:30 AM) *

Man! I havn't clicked this thread since late last month. INSANE Paint!!!!! So excited for you. Looks absolutely amazing, I love the yellow. first.gif

Thanks, Jared. The paint is way cool, as is the outer surface final smoothing done by the pros at the shop. Of course, the paint shows all the less than perfect metal work I did on inner surfaces.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, other new parts are arriving. Rebuilt front calipers from PMB look sexy.
bkrantz
And more new parts.
bkrantz
Back to some body work. After sand blasting, I could see a few small dents.
bkrantz
Got to play with my hammers and dollies again.
bkrantz
Next up: starting on the body again. There are a few spots to touch up before I can start assembly.
Gint
My valances could use a good hammer and dolly guy. Beautiful paint!
bkrantz
Thanks. On a good day I can get the metal 95% straight--enough for valences that are almost invisible!
bkrantz
A few easy steps today. First, clean up the overspray on the inner fender VIN.
bkrantz
And re-attaching the VIN tag to the A-pillar.
bkrantz
I also starting fooling with the rear emblems. The PO had these mounted on the engine lid, with lumps of putty.
bkrantz
But these will need some help.
bkrantz
And some decisions before re-drilling the mounting holes on the rear panel.
Gint
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 8 2020, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 7 2020, 10:21 PM) *

Nice progress and great documentation! Hi Bob wavey.gif I'm just putting 2 and 2 together now. We didn't get to meet at the Moorman's during RRC. Apologies for that. Perhaps my wife and I will be back down in Durango soon or in the spring and we can remedy that and I can see your progress first hand.

Hi, Mike. I am sorry too. We got caught up in a few conversations before we could meet everyone. Let me know if you head this way again. And I hope to have my 914 running in time for next September.

@bkrantz - As it happens, Shar and I are headed back through this next Sunday. I have a valance for @Kansas 914 . I'll send Mike an email with some details. I'd love to get a first hand look at your progress.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 27 2020, 08:12 PM) *

@bkrantz - As it happens, Shar and I are headed back through this next Sunday. I have a valance for @Kansas 914 . I'll send Mike an email with some details. I'd love to get a first hand look at your progress.

Hi Gint - I will be here all day Sunday. You guys are the best - thanks!
bkrantz
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 28 2020, 06:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 27 2020, 08:12 PM) *

Hi Gint - I will be here all day Sunday. You guys are the best - thanks!

I should be around Sunday, too. Been out of town a bit so not much progress lately.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 28 2020, 05:27 PM) *

I should be around Sunday, too. Been out of town a bit so not much progress lately.

We can meet at Bob's if it works out for you.
Gint
I'll call Sunday afternoon when we're driving down.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 28 2020, 10:15 PM) *

I'll call Sunday afternoon when we're driving down.

Sounds good. Sent you a PM.
bkrantz
Back in town and ready to make some progress.

First, an inventory of stuff that arrived recently from PMB and other sources.
bkrantz
I had the seat belt webbing replaced by Safety Restore. More yellow!
bkrantz
I vacuumed and blew out all the tubes and ducts.
bkrantz
I found a fair amount of sand in the heat tubes.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 31 2020, 06:35 PM) *

I reversed my shop vac thru my heater tubes and a shop towel came flying out of one side along with a bunch of nasty dirt/stuff.
Definitely a good idea as you don't want all that stuff heading back towards the cabin. wink.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 1 2020, 01:03 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 31 2020, 06:35 PM) *

I reversed my shop vac thru my heater tubes and a shop towel came flying out of one side along with a bunch of nasty dirt/stuff.
Definitely a good idea as you don't want all that stuff heading back towards the cabin. wink.gif

That sounds exciting. All I got was sand.
bkrantz
More post-paint body prep. While I am still very satisfied with the quality work the shop did, I found a few problem areas. First, after the dustless blasting, they missed a few small places where the abrasive was caked into seams or other sheltered places. And the blasting missed a few areas, and left a layer of the undercoat that the PO applied everywhere.

Worst was the upper right rear part of the engine compartment. A few spots of new paint had flaked off, and some gentle probing took off more. After that I got aggressive with a wire brush and sand paper.
bkrantz
Another trouble spot was the right suspension ear, with the same problem where blasting left undercoat.
bkrantz
After cleaning and primer.
bkrantz
I then applied additional seam sealer in a few places the shop missed (or did not use enough).

Some extra on the front floor plugs.
bkrantz
Inside the right front fender.
bkrantz
Same fender along the top.
bkrantz
And the rear edge.
bkrantz
Next was the right rear fender, starting along the top.
bkrantz
And the rear corner. I added a length of tubing to the cartridge tip to get sealant into the top recess.
bkrantz
And extra seam sealant in the hell hole.
bkrantz
After all that work, I had a fun visit with Kansas914 and Gint. Not sure how encouraged I should feel when they both revealed 914 projects underway for more than 10 years.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 1 2020, 07:22 PM) *

After all that work, I had a fun visit with Kansas914 and Gint. Not sure how encouraged I should feel when they both revealed 914 projects underway for more than 10 years.

You are doing an amazing job and staying focused. I could probably get one of my projects done but oh look a squirrel! biggrin.gif
FlacaProductions
Amazing work - looking great! Instead of drilling holes for the 914 and 2.0 badges, have you considered double-sided taping them? The one post looked like it would need some attention anyway....maybe just snip em off, sand down flat, paint/polish and stick em on? Just a thought...
djway
I used emblem tape for this
Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 1 2020, 07:36 PM) *
You are doing an amazing job and staying focused. I could probably get one of my projects done but oh look a squirrel! biggrin.gif
Damn squirrels anyway...

Show us how it's done Bob. Inspire me. Be the outlier. Let me know if I can help, even if just to provide motivation.
bkrantz
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 1 2020, 08:21 PM) *

Amazing work - looking great! Instead of drilling holes for the 914 and 2.0 badges, have you considered double-sided taping them? The one post looked like it would need some attention anyway....maybe just snip em off, sand down flat, paint/polish and stick em on? Just a thought...

Fortunately, this idea looks better--and before I drill any holes.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 2 2020, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 1 2020, 07:36 PM) *
Damn squirrels anyway...

Show us how it's done Bob. Inspire me. Be the outlier. Let me know if I can help, even if just to provide motivation.

Thanks, Gint. Pressure is good, right?
bkrantz
Finally getting around to sorting parts to be plated. Any suggestions for vendors?
bbrock
Just sent you a PM but I don't think the torsion bar adjusters were plated. At any rate, I wouldn't send any cast iron parts for plating. Torsion adjusters, caliper bodies, and early headlight pivots come to mind. I had to helicoil my headlight pivots after they came back from the plater and I PM'd what happened to my caliper bodies.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 4 2020, 06:42 PM) *

Finally getting around to sorting parts to be plated. Any suggestions for vendors?

Hi Bob,

Check with Eric at PMB - now doing yellow and silver zinc plating.
bbrock
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 4 2020, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 4 2020, 06:42 PM) *

Hi Bob,

Check with Eric at PMB - now doing yellow and silver zinc plating.

Oh hell yeah! Didn't know he was offering plating now but that's a no brainer. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.