Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
More progress in Tucson today. I dropped the fuel tank with one of the few shops that still does the "boil out" treatment.

I then visited with a local custom auto upholstery shop. Restoration purists can cover their eyes, but I am looking for something a bit different from stock. Based on the discussion and looking at swatches I might go with a stock texture vinyl for the console, center armrest-storage cubby, seat bolsters, and door card tops. Seat cushions, lower door cards, and the dash strip will be a light gray perforated artificial suede.
bkrantz
The door cards are in generally good shape, but have a bit of warping, especially on the driver side. I stripped the original vinyl so I could try to straighten the worst spots.

I sprayed both sides with water, placed them on flat concrete, and weighted them down with lumber scraps. We will see tomorrow if I made things better or worse.
Gint
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 10 2020, 07:37 PM) *
While he was working, I started painting the spots I had scraped and primed, or applied seam sealer.

How did you go about painting those areas Bob?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2020, 07:53 AM) *

While he was working, I started painting the spots I had scraped and primed, or applied seam sealer.

Lots of masking and then I deployed my custom mixed rattle cans, first base color and then clearcoat. The match was not exact, but the locations are either partially obscured, like in the engine compartment, or very hidden, like inside the fenders.

Perhaps not the ideal solution, but I did not want to go through the challenge of getting the shell back to the paint shop.
bkrantz
Back at the upholstery shop today, and I changed my mind about the alternate color material, for the seat cushions and the main part of the door panels. Instead of suede I will use vinyl, with perforations.
raynekat
Vinyl is likely a good choice for durability. The suede was pretty cool though.....
bkrantz
Yeah, suede would be sexy--but risky.
Gint
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 25 2020, 08:27 PM) *
Lots of masking and then I deployed my custom mixed rattle cans, first base color and then clearcoat. The match was not exact, but the locations are either partially obscured, like in the engine compartment, or very hidden, like inside the fenders.

Perhaps not the ideal solution, but I did not want to go through the challenge of getting the shell back to the paint shop.
What, where, who, how, on those custom rattle cans? I need to do something like that myself. Thanks Bob.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 27 2020, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 25 2020, 08:27 PM) *

What, where, who, how, on those custom rattle cans? I need to do something like that myself. Thanks Bob.

Hi, Gint. I got base color and clear coat from these guys. Paint quality seems very good.
https://www.automotivetouchup.com
Zaffer
Sorry, didn’t take time to read all 81 pages. Are you rebuilding the engine yourself? I’ have a 2.0L I’m looking to rebuild but need some of the things you had done performed (heads rebuilt, crank checked, etc.). You happy with the guys you used? Also, what pistons are you using and what are you doing to before install? Using factory FI?

The car looks great and I love the color! Wish I had the space/time to do what you’re doing. Keep it up!
bkrantz
I plan to do the engine build. I had the crank, case, and heads worked on at Competition Engineering in Phoenix. Not sure where I will source 96mm pistons and cylinders yet.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 28 2020, 08:13 PM) *

I plan to do the engine build. I had the crank, case, and heads worked on at Competition Engineering in Phoenix. Not sure where I will source 96mm pistons and cylinders yet.

These are the best money can buy in my opinion: https://lnengineering.com/products/aircoole...eQaAs6SEALw_wcB

That said - my 2143cc has P&C from AA Pistons. They are Chinese and can very from one set to the other. The engine builder for mine measured several sets for "roundness" before selecting. https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-li...sets/type-4-914
bkrantz
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 29 2020, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 28 2020, 08:13 PM) *

These are the best money can buy in my opinion: https://lnengineering.com/products/aircoole...eQaAs6SEALw_wcB

That said - my 2143cc has P&C from AA Pistons. They are Chinese and can very from one set to the other. The engine builder for mine measured several sets for "roundness" before selecting. https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-li...sets/type-4-914

Thanks, Mike. I have looked (leered?) at the LN nicks before. I was hoping to keep the engine budget less that 5 figures...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 29 2020, 07:09 PM) *

Thanks, Mike. I have looked (leered?) at the LN nicks before. I was hoping to keep the engine budget less that 5 figures...

I understand. Did I mention my motor has AA Pistons? biggrin.gif
djway
the main thing about the AA pistons is that they don't have the THIS WAY UP mark.
930cabman
QUOTE(djway @ Nov 29 2020, 10:22 PM) *

the main thing about the AA pistons is that they don't have the THIS WAY UP mark.

Great thread, thanks for posting and I am in the early stages of this madness. Our wives let us get away with this nonsense, nothing short of a miracle
bkrantz
Very true.

Good luck with yours--enjoy the journey.
bkrantz
I picked up the rest of my engine parts at Competition Engineering in Phoenix.
bkrantz
Dan checked the case for flat and square, and then drilled and tapped all the plugs.
bkrantz
They also balanced the rods.
bkrantz
A few fun cars at CE.
bkrantz
Another classic.
bkrantz
And a desert veteran.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 2 2020, 07:29 PM) *

Another classic.

Looks like the 60 Ghia that was just on bring a trailer. Did not meet it’s reserve.
I used AA Birals for my T4 Notchback.
Have fun with the engine assembly.
bkrantz
I picked up my gas tank from Performance Radiator in Tucson. No more rust inside.
jaredmcginness
I like the fabric options - I’m a ... hobby tailor I guess you could say. Love fabric. Don’t be afraid to do what you want! Good luck with the motor!
bkrantz
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Dec 4 2020, 09:00 PM) *

I like the fabric options - I’m a ... hobby tailor I guess you could say. Love fabric. Don’t be afraid to do what you want! Good luck with the motor!

Anything involving sewing is a disaster zone for me. I need to swing by the shop to see if they have started and I can get a visual impression of the combo I picked.
raynekat
I for one.....would like to see Bob do some sewing.
I'd buy the popcorn for that one.
biggrin.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 6 2020, 05:17 PM) *

I for one.....would like to see Bob do some sewing.
I'd buy the popcorn for that one.
biggrin.gif

Sure, Doug. I am only doing this restoration for the entertainment value for you guys! beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Going through more parts delivered while I was out of town. Here are the yellow zinc parts, done by Restoration Part Plating of Kenosha.
bkrantz
I also had them do some part in silver zinc.
mb911
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 9 2020, 06:15 PM) *

Going through more parts delivered while I was out of town. Here are the yellow zinc parts, done by Restoration Part Plating of Kenosha.

Kenosha WI?
raynekat
Plating looks pretty spiffy there Bob. Will look nice against the yellow paint.
bkrantz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 9 2020, 08:06 PM) *

Kenosha WI?

Yes
bkrantz
OK, time to get back to work.

I decided to start with some sound proofing, and replaced the original tar mat on the floor panels with Dynamat. I bought from a bulk supplier on Amazon, the the 18 x 32 inch sheets were delivered folded.
bkrantz
Starting on the passenger floor, making paper templates and then cutting the Dynamat with scissors.
bkrantz
Forward section.
bkrantz
I covered the inner exposure of the front fender well.
bkrantz
Ad the oval holes along the inner longs.
bkrantz
Under the passenger seat.
bkrantz
Driver floor. I snuck a piece into the forward part of the tunnel.
bkrantz
Done with the floor!
bkrantz
Now for the fire wall. I want a multi-layer system on the inside since I do not want to use a pad on the engine side.
bkrantz
The first layer is more Dynamat.
bkrantz
Now for the second layer on the fire wall. This is 1/4 inch Dynaliner.
bkrantz
Center section.
bkrantz
Full coverage (except for seat belt mounting areas). I plan to cover this with carpet, just not sure yet what type.
bkrantz
I also gathered the brake line fittings for cleaning. The master cylinder front line adapter is steel, and still needs some rust removal. Soaking that tonight in Evaporust.
mb911
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 10 2020, 06:49 PM) *

Kenosha WI?

Yes

Finishing and plating? That would now be 4 of our members that had stuff plated there.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 11 2020, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 10 2020, 06:49 PM) *

Kenosha WI?

Yes

Finishing and plating? That would now be 4 of our members that had stuff plated there.

And all tracing back to your recommendation. You should get a commission!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.