Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 11 2020, 09:34 PM) *

Full coverage (except for seat belt mounting areas). I plan to cover this with carpet, just not sure yet what type.

WOW, great work and thank you for posting. Our project is still in the selective demo phase. Good thing we have RD or we would be lost
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 12 2020, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 11 2020, 09:34 PM) *

Full coverage (except for seat belt mounting areas). I plan to cover this with carpet, just not sure yet what type.

WOW, great work and thank you for posting. Our project is still in the selective demo phase. Good thing we have RD or we would be lost

Agreed. I am grateful to all our dedicated 914 suppliers. And I show that gratitude by sending them lots of money! biggrin.gif
bkrantz
A slight detour. Before I install the wiring harness, I need to install the washer pump switch from Carmagic. No more spare tire pressure and fluid flowing through the steering column.

Anyway, I will install this with a round relay and socket.
bkrantz
A detour on the detour: getting the wiring harness out reminded me that I still need to clean the fuse-relay panel, and the connecting wires.
bkrantz
Partial disassembly and cleaning. Not sure I dare unplug all the connectors!
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 12 2020, 07:00 PM) *

As long as you have a schematic handy, I would. It's a good time to make sure all the connections are clean and tight and some DAPO didn't get creative with where they routed circuits.

I labeled mine with little zip tie tags before pulling them off but in the end I didn't really use the labels and just followed the schematic because sure enough, a few wires had been switched around over the years.
bkrantz
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 12 2020, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 12 2020, 07:00 PM) *

As long as you have a schematic handy, I would. It's a good time to make sure all the connections are clean and tight and some DAPO didn't get creative with where they routed circuits.

I labeled mine with little zip tie tags before pulling them off but in the end I didn't really use the labels and just followed the schematic because sure enough, a few wires had been switched around over the years.

Thanks, Brent. When I refurbished the harness I checked and repaired everything, from shorted and melted wires to corrosion to DAPO stupidity. I can't remember why I did not clean the fuse-relay panel then, probably got distracted by something more fun.
bkrantz
A personal milestone today: I installed the first hard parts! Yay, me! cheer.gif

I started with the brake line in the tunnel. This has a short segment that goes through the firewall.

bkrantz
And the long section that goes to the front. Here it is on top of the tunnel. The Sharpies show the locations of the tabs to hold the line to the top of the tunnel. I transferred the locations to the brake line to locate some rubber tubing for protection.
bkrantz
The two lines come together at this union--first time using a wrench on the rebuild!
bkrantz
Next, SS fuel lines, from Tangerine. These get fed in from the rear.
bkrantz
I had a moment of panic, when I could not find the double-hole rubber grommet for the front bulkhead. After looking in the "right" box and not finding it, I went through all the other boxes. Of course, it was in the right box after all. Good think, since this grommet is NLA.
bkrantz
Grommet in place.
bkrantz
And a single grommet in one rear hole. I used some teflon spray lube, and fed the fuel line in. Once started, it was actually easy to push it to the front.
bkrantz
Repeat for the second line.
bkrantz
Front end of the tunnel, with the lines fed through the double-hole grommet.
bkrantz
Future connections for the fuel tank and relocated pump.
bkrantz
One more detail for the fuel lines: fixing them in place using the tabs on the floor of the tunnel, with some rubber hose as protection.
bkrantz
Bonus detail: some more rubber hose collars to keep the lines from vibrating on the rear tunnel floor.
bkrantz
Out with the old list (I will get to painting under the side grills later, and clean the threads as I go).
bkrantz
In with the new list. Progress already!
bkrantz
Finishing up this detour. The fuse-relay panel is clean, and I wired the washer pump switch and relay. The new relay is the one lower left.
bkrantz
I then re-taped the harness, including new wires to the future pump (coil of white and brown). I will cut to fit and add necessary connectors once the pump is installed.
bkrantz
Now for the big job--installing the harness. Not really looking forward to this. dry.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 14 2020, 05:49 PM) *

I then re-taped the harness, including new wires to the future pump (coil of white and brown). I will cut to fit and add necessary connectors once the pump is installed.

wow! congratulations and nicely done on your wiring too!
Can you also share the wiring along the center tunnel all the way to the rear wiring?
I’m also going to fix my wiring for my 74. thank you!

ooops there you go complete wiring except hardly can look at it because of the floor dynamat color.
djway
beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 14 2020, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 14 2020, 05:49 PM) *

wow! congratulations and nicely done on your wiring too!
Can you also share the wiring along the center tunnel all the way to the rear wiring?
I’m also going to fix my wiring for my 74. thank you!

ooops there you go complete wiring except hardly can look at it because of the floor dynamat color.

If you mean showing the rear part of the wiring harness and individual connections, look back on this thread for when I had the harness laid-out during and after when I cleaned and repaired it.

If you mean showing the installation in the car, stay tuned.
gereed75
In All likelihood you have seen it but RD has a pretty good video out there on installing the harness.

Really enjoy your threads. Nice work.
bkrantz
OK, here we go. Prep: good mood, cold beverage, calm music.

Everything on the cardboard is the rear "half" that goes under the cross brace and all the way back to the tail lights.
bkrantz
To start, I used (mostly) the strategy of feeding the biggest thing through the obstruction first, even if not on the far end of the harness. So here goes the relay board connector under the center tunnel brace.
bkrantz
Then the far end of the rear harness, with the right tail light connectors leading.
bkrantz
After pulling the tail light branch, I started the battery leads.

Note the red spots.
bkrantz
I pulled both branches through until the snorkel got to the tunnel.
bkrantz
Snorkel started.
bkrantz
And through.
bkrantz
All done! (with the first obstacle). I also fed the wires for the heat lever to that opening.
bkrantz
Now comes the real fun. All the rear harness now has go into the tunnel and out the hole in the lower firewall into the engine compartment.
bkrantz
I violated my "big things first" strategy by starting with the far end tail light lead.
bkrantz
This was pretty easy to sneak into the tunnel and then feed out into the engine compartment.
bkrantz
I continued to pull that branch, and got more side branches through.
bkrantz
Now the test for my current strategy: will the big plug have room to get through?
bkrantz
It took a bit of fiddling, but it worked.
bkrantz
Now for the battery leads.
bkrantz
Using long shop tweezers helps to get the lead ends through the hole.
bkrantz
And the rest of the leads.
bkrantz
Now for the snorkel. Into the tunnel!
bkrantz
All in.
bkrantz
Gently pulling from the engine side and pushing from the tunnel side, and here it comes.
bkrantz
And fully through, with the grommet seated.

But--THIS WAS A MISTAKE--see lower down.
bkrantz
Now feeding things through the hole in the forward engine shelf. This time the big plug goes first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.