Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
Morph914
Just went through this entire thread over the last couple of days... Amazing! You have done a great job with this car, and at a pace that seems hard to believe.
We are almost at the same stages in our builds, but I’m sure you will pass me up at the speed you work at.
I was fortunate to start with a dry straight car, so I didn’t have to do nearly as much work as you have. Even if I wanted to, I don’t have near the skill set you do. pray.gif

Keep up the great work and thank you for taking the time to post it.

Cheers,
John

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Jan 14 2021, 04:14 PM) *

Just went through this entire thread over the last couple of days... Amazing! You have done a great job with this car, and at a pace that seems hard to believe.
We are almost at the same stages in our builds, but I’m sure you will pass me up at the speed you work at.
I was fortunate to start with a dry straight car, so I didn’t have to do nearly as much work as you have. Even if I wanted to, I don’t have near the skill set you do. pray.gif

Keep up the great work and thank you for taking the time to post it.

Cheers,
John

Click to view attachment

Thanks, John. Your car, in that sneak peek, looks amazing. My only secret is working on it almost every day, for an hour or eight. Since I am retired (or supposed to be), I can do that.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 13 2021, 08:57 PM) *

Check this fresh air fan switch for continuity on all 3 speeds before installing. I didn't so didn't have all the fan speeds once installed and had to remove the switch again with all the associated cuss words to sort the issue.

Looking good.....

Thanks, Doug--I will do that ASAP. Gotta save my cuss words for other things.
bkrantz
More cleaning paint and undercoating from headlight buckets and ventilation pieces, still a tedious and unhappy job. That includes stripping undercoating from everything, like small hardware and hose clamps. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate undercoating? headbang.gif
bkrantz
So I treat myself to other jobs, like installing and plumbing the brake reservoir. Here are the feed lines as I left them a few weeks ago. These are rather stiff. And not the right shape to clear the gas tank.
bkrantz
Out comes the trusty heat gun, set on medium.
bkrantz
I tried to focus the heat on the outside of the bends, so the plastic could stretch rather than buckle on the inside of the bend. The result is not quite stock but should work.
bkrantz
Here's the replacement reservoir with the nasty original. Know what I hate?
bkrantz
Reservoir mounted to measure for cutting the feed lines. I will get to this tomorrow.
bkrantz
While checking the feed lines into the MC, I noticed a problem with the front output hard line. The way I installed this it rubs against the steering rack bellows (that I mounted after running the brake lines).
bkrantz
Easy to turn the banjo fitting and tweak the hard line to get some clearance. Note the feed line fitting looks close to the bellows but there is clearance.
930cabman
What do they say, the devil is in the details. Too bad major restorations have a million of these details, everyone needs to be perfect or close. Thanks for posting, great work
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 15 2021, 04:44 PM) *

What do they say, the devil is in the details. Too bad major restorations have a million of these details, everyone needs to be perfect or close. Thanks for posting, great work

Thanks. At least a million details. And I can invent more without trying hard.
bkrantz
Just a quick trip to the garage today. I finished connecting the brake reservoir lines.
bkrantz
And I started cleaning the crud from the headlight motors.
iankarr
Awesome work as usual. Where did you get those short hoses? The only ones I can find that are brake fluid rated are blue. Would love gray...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 16 2021, 10:30 AM) *

Awesome work as usual. Where did you get those short hoses? The only ones I can find that are brake fluid rated are blue. Would love gray...

Funny - I had to look everywhere for blue...
9146C
@bkrantz : Always enjoy following your thread...the quality of your work is terrific!

@iankarr , @Kansas 914: If you google part number N203501-5 you should find plenty of options for blue, grey and black cloth brake line.

For what it's worth, my reservoir didn't look too much different than the "coated" one in the photo. I soaked mine for about 4 days in sulphamic acid (Lowe's stock # 643484) and it came out perfect...some paint overspray did not soak off but could be removed by fingernail after it's bath.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(9146C @ Jan 16 2021, 11:49 AM) *

@iankarr , @Kansas 914: If you google part number N203501-5 you should find plenty of options for blue, grey and black cloth brake line.

Thank you!
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 13 2021, 08:57 PM) *

Check this fresh air fan switch for continuity on all 3 speeds before installing. I didn't so didn't have all the fan speeds once installed and had to remove the switch again with all the associated cuss words to sort the issue.

Looking good.....

I checked the continuity today--all good. Thanks, again, Doug.
bkrantz
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 16 2021, 10:30 AM) *

Part of the brake supply line kit from PMB.
bkrantz
While I have easy access to the fuse panel, I rewired the fog light switch, so the fogs can come on without headlights.

Following multiple instructions from other 914 Worlders, I disconnected the white/blue wire for the fog relay from the fuse feed #1, and grounded it, disconnected the black/blue wire from the fog switch (and isolated it), and ran a new lead (here, green/white) from the switch to fuse feed #9.
bkrantz
After fun stuff, I went back to cleaning parts. Here are the defroster ducts, mostly free of undercoating an overspray.
bkrantz
One mixer box cleaned, one to go.
bkrantz
Got all the fresh air system components cleaned, and ready to install (I hope). As soon as I have the dash face mounted, I can continue with all the ventilate stuff.

Meanwhile, a few trivial bit, like the plugs for the front nose panel.
bkrantz
Now for some shiny new Hella horns, to replace the originals (with one not working). And the new horns don't have undercoating.
bkrantz
Fit is exactly like the originals. And should be louder.
bkrantz
Then I went down a rabbit hole with the headlight motors. Both ran when tested, but both have broken wires.
bkrantz
I repaired one lead, but there is a small contact widget that allows the armature to spin in one direction only. Is this normal?
bkrantz
The other motor has been opened before, and is missing some hardware that holds the top casting to the case. And this one spins freely in both directions, so I can't unscrew the manual knob.

I think I need to source some replacements.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 17 2021, 05:38 PM) *

Now for some shiny new Hella horns, to replace the originals (with one not working). And the new horns don't have undercoating.

No, no, no, noooooooo......

After all the trouble you've gone to on this build, you're not going to clean up and rebuild/repair your horns?
Oh the horror.

Not that hard and the undercoating will clean up like a champ.
The non-working horn is likely the "points" inside that are easily cleaned with an emory cloth or some very fine sandpaper (I did this) and some satin black paint.
You'll end up with this.

And they are LOUD horns when working correctly. Ask me. Ha
Mine below.
Just saying and throwing out the gantlet.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

See post #663 on my build.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9327&st=640
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 17 2021, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 17 2021, 05:38 PM) *

No, no, no, noooooooo......

After all the trouble you've gone to on this build, you're not going to clean up and rebuild/repair your horns?
Oh the horror.

Not that hard and the undercoating will clean up like a champ.
The non-working horn is likely the "points" inside that are easily cleaned with an emory cloth or some very fine sandpaper (I did this) and some satin black paint.
You'll end up with this.

And they are LOUD horns when working correctly. Ask me. Ha
Mine below.
Just saying and throwing out the gantlet.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

See post #663 on my build.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9327&st=640

Sorry to be SUCH a disappointment. sad.gif

I guess I just wimped out. But the new horns are sexy red. wub.gif

Wait til you see what I have in mind for the fog lights.
bkrantz
Some other diversions.

I pulled out the aluminum trim again. I did order new pieces for the targa sails, but want to see if I can rescue the window trim strips. I cleaned off the PO black paint.
bkrantz
With all the half-a** work they did, why did they have to be dedicated enough to sand the trim before painting it black?
bkrantz
My plan is to sand out the grooves as much as possible, polish, and seal. And this is just for the outer edges.
bkrantz
And I finally started with the dash. I will replace the vinyl on the top (stock black) and the face (gray perf, to match my new doors and seats).
bkrantz
Just a little bit of metal working done, mostly around the radio opening.
bkrantz
Sorry for the delay, but 914 World will not let me post photos--I keep getting error messages.

If anyone has ideas about how to fix this, please let me know (or nudge whoever can help).
bkrantz
I have made progress, but reporting is still on hold. I need some guidance from the site admins on how to fix my photo posting issue.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 22 2021, 06:33 PM) *

I have made progress, but reporting is still on hold. I need some guidance from the site admins on how to fix my photo posting issue.

Since others are posting it is most likely on your end. Could be your firewalls or something in your history.
I am not tech literate so hopefully someone out there can help.
raynekat
My computer (big iMac) does automatic updates a lot. After one of those, I lost the ability to pull up a file listing for pics I wanted to post by hitting the "choose file" button. Now I have to drag the pic onto this button and release. It's a pain, but I've not been able to figure out the problem with my limited computer skilz. Ha Something to do with "pop ups" I'm told. I don't get the "pop up" to choose my pic from anymore. It's all crickets. And I've been unable to find a new software app that's shutting down my "pop ups." So I just live my current go around. I feel your pain in not being able to post pics for your project.
messick
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 22 2021, 10:29 PM) *

My computer (big iMac) does automatic updates a lot. After one of those, I lost the ability to pull up a file listing for pics I wanted to post by hitting the "choose file" button. Now I have to drag the pic onto this button and release. It's a pain, but I've not been able to figure out the problem with my limited computer skilz. Ha Something to do with "pop ups" I'm told. I don't get the "pop up" to choose my pic from anymore. It's all crickets. And I've been unable to find a new software app that's shutting down my "pop ups." So I just live my current go around. I feel your pain in not being able to post pics for your project.

Enabling or disabling the popup blocker in Safari
djway
Allow pop-ups from a site
On your computer, open Chrome.
Go to a page where pop-ups are blocked.
In the address bar, click Pop-up blocked Pop-up blocked.
Click the link for the pop-up you want to see.
To always see pop-ups for the site, select Always allow pop-ups and redirects from [site] and then Done.
mb911
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 20 2021, 06:02 PM) *

Sorry for the delay, but 914 World will not let me post photos--I keep getting error messages.

If anyone has ideas about how to fix this, please let me know (or nudge whoever can help).

Your error message is because your pictures are too big.. Are you taking pictures with your phone? If so just edit them buy shrinking the picture just a bit and save. Delete the original as to not get confused then upload.. when I was busting your chops a while back it was because you were posting 1 picture per post. Thats because you had to because of the size of the picture.
bkrantz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 23 2021, 06:14 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 20 2021, 06:02 PM) *

Your error message is because your pictures are too big.. Are you taking pictures with your phone? If so just edit them buy shrinking the picture just a bit and save. Delete the original as to not get confused then upload.. when I was busting your chops a while back it was because you were posting 1 picture per post. Thats because you had to because of the size of the picture.

Thanks, everyone. AFAIK I made no changes in my laptop (MacBook Pro) or any of my home network.

Ben, I also did not change anything in my process. Yes, I have been using my phone (iPhone 7). Photo file size has always been under the size limit per post.

Anyway, I tried again today--and it works! Thanks to anyone who helped fix things.
bkrantz
Now to back up and report on the past week.

I finished stripping the old padding and glue from the dash board.
bkrantz
And a bit of final dolly work around the radio opening.
bkrantz
I got a batch of small parts from Fosterjoejr.
bkrantz
The cable retaining clips went on the relay board.
bkrantz
The double-shrouded connector went on the heat blower fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.