Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
I started on the front turn signals, now that I had two retainer brackets.
bkrantz
The rubber boots have a hole for the side markers that I shaved, and so I wanted to plug the hole.
bkrantz
I went rooting through my miscellaneous parts for something to plug the hole. Good to have almost 50 years of junk stashed away sometimes.
bkrantz
I found two of these. I have no idea what they are, but they are perfect to fill both the bigger outside hole and the small inner hole.
bkrantz
Hole filled.
bkrantz
Boot installed.
bkrantz
Wires fed through.
bkrantz
View of the inside.
bkrantz
I sprayed the inside of the turn signal housings with chrome paint.
bkrantz
New gasket, and the housing in place.
bkrantz
Bracket installed inside the fender, wires connected, and boot attached.
bkrantz
Going through the parts I removed in 2019, I found only one original screw for the lens. The PO had used a variety of other hardware.
bkrantz
Anyway, one lens in place with one screw looks good to me.
bkrantz
I also got a new tool, an official Porsche ball joint retaining ring wrench.
bkrantz
This socket has tabs that exactly fit the notches in the ring.
bkrantz
Back to my set up with torque wrench and floor jack. This time I was able to get to 25 kg-m without the socket slipping.
bkrantz
And then install a new tab washer.
bkrantz
Other things received: modified CV joints from PMB. These have splines that actually fit the 914-4 shafts.
bkrantz
I restored the trunk light.
bkrantz
And installed it.
bkrantz
And I started on installing the relocated fuel pump. This might go under the tank, inside the body shell.
bkrantz
To check for clearance, I lowered the gas tank into place.
bkrantz
There might be space, but this location will probably require removing the tank to access the pump. The other option is within the steering cavity, on the bottom of the body.
bkrantz
One other project started: painting the parts for the headlights. I found a semi-gloss gray Rustoleum spray that is pretty close to original, applied over self-etching primer.
ndfrigi
nice you’re able to fix your issue attaching pictures. I do follow your build thread and learning a lot from it. Thanks again!
bkrantz
More work on mounting the fuel pump. I am still not sure where, but I favor under the tank and inside the body cavity. To check for clearance, I made a template to show the position of the bottom of the tank.
bkrantz
Looks like the stock pump mount will fit here.
bkrantz
Clearance check.
bkrantz
Possible location.
bkrantz
In the spirit of playing with as many different things as possible, I also pulled out the trim and vinyl for the targa hoop. This lower strip is the new Porsche part, which, like some others have mentioned, has a slightly different curve radius at the rear end. I marked the upper edge with a dry-erase marker.
bkrantz
Then I marked off with tape where the edge of the vinyl should go.
ndfrigi
just want to check if you know late 914 has the fuel pump on the other side with where your test fit now is. It has access hole for 75 and 76 year.
Other member also install the fuel pump by the steering rack where you can access it by just removing the under pan cover.

Nice work again on your build!
euro911
I want to relocate the pump on 'HOWARD' to up front when it's time to dig deep into the refurbishment popcorn[1].gif
bkrantz
More work on the fuel pump mounting. To free the pump from the clamp and allow removing via the round hole (I hope) I drilled a small hole so a screw driver can loosen the clamp bolt from below.
bkrantz
While waiting for touch-up paint on the new holes to dry, I played a bit with the headlight carriers.
bkrantz
All tidy with clean hardware, and the Rustoleum satin gray paint.
bkrantz
And new speed nuts from Belmetric.
bkrantz
And and new plastic bushings from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
Carrier installed.
bkrantz
Not sure about this. The inside pivot looks high, even at the limit of adjustment on both sides. Is this right?
euro911
Trial fit the pop-up lid and see how it lines up confused24.gif
bkrantz
Tail light day.

Yesterday I finished de-corroding the replacement housing I got for the left side, especially the bulb contacts. And then I sprayed the reflectors with chrome paint.
bkrantz
Looks better.
bkrantz
Both housings ready. Not perfect but pretty good. I need to find the side diffusor insert for the right side.
bkrantz
I hope to keep at least some water out, so I got replacement gaskets from 914 Rubber. The lens gasket is an O-section, similar in size and firmness to the original, but black instead of white.
bkrantz
New gasket in the left lens--very easy.
bkrantz
The gasket for the housing is actually a foam layer with adhesive. I mounted this around the body opening. My hand-formed opening is not perfect, so this helps fill the gaps.
bkrantz
I left the original gasket in place on the housing.
bkrantz
From above, decent fit with no gaps.
bkrantz
Also OK from the side. I expect the foam gasket will collapse a bit more with time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.