Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Meanwhile, with the 3 screws that I have, I installed the headlight and the retaining ring.
bkrantz
And then the lid.
bkrantz
After just a quick adjustment, the fit looks OK. More adjustment to come.
raynekat
Nice gaps there man....
euro911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 16 2021, 07:54 PM) *
Nice gaps there man....
... almost as nice as this gap ... poke.gif

happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
piratenanner.gif
bkrantz
Checking the fit of the new headlight surround from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
A bit more fiddling with the fit, especially matching the lid height to fender edge.
bkrantz
On a roll, so what about the right headlight lid, even if I am missing the right hardware to install the new light.
bkrantz
Another quick fit adjustment.
bkrantz
Starting to look more like a 914.
bkrantz
More parts arrived, including a front caliper hardware kit from an Ebay supplier.
bkrantz
The pad spreader spring is one piece, instead of the original riveted two-piece, but it has the correct spread: about 51 mm.
bkrantz
This should work!
bkrantz
I also got the missing magic inner adjuster gears for the rear calipers.
bkrantz
So now I should have all the rear caliper hardware.
bkrantz
So that meant I could finish the rear brakes. Actual pad clearance adjustment will wait until I install the sub axles. Oh, and that brake bleeding thing.
bkrantz
I also got high-temp anti-seize.
bkrantz
First place to use this is on the mounting hardware for the muffler shield.
bkrantz
Last job today was to finish polishing aluminum trim, with the front and rear window weatherstrip retaining strips. These were also sanded and painted black by the PO.
bkrantz
Not perfect, and with a few local dings, but at least shiny now.
bkrantz
And I tried giving the targa hoop rear trim a polish of the anodized surface. This is a used replacement piece, not a backed-out version.
bkrantz
Last thing that arrived today is adhesive for vinyl (targa hoop and dash to start). Based on recommendations and concern for (1) good stick to vinyl and (2) heat resistance, I decided on DAP Landau contact adhesive. And I found aerosol cans to go along with the 1 gallon liquid can, for brush-on.
iankarr
Very cool that you can get it in spray cans now. Amazon?
bkrantz
https://www.yourautotrim.com
djway
From what I remember the blue label can is already thinned for a spray gun but it has been a while.
Car is so pretty now I wouldn't even be able to sit in it....
iankarr
I’ve sprayed right out of that gallon can. But def wear a respirator...it’s nasty stuff that will get you dizzy in minutes smile.gif
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. I got the liquid for if/when I need to brush some on, most likely around edges. I would have been happy to buy just a pint, but could only find the gallon size.
djway
I'm not sure how well the thinned stuff brushes on. I would test first.
I use one on the $10 HF spray guns to spray it on. Clean with gasoline.
Use it up because it disappears like magic.
Puebloswatcop
pray.gif Wow, took me almost three days to read through this post. Thanks for sharing all the hard work and detail you have put into this 914. I will be resuming my restorations as soon as I can go to Colorado and retrieve the two I have and bring them down to Texas. I am retired now, so have time to work on them each day, you are a true inspiration.
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Feb 18 2021, 10:31 PM) *

I'm not sure how well the thinned stuff brushes on. I would test first.
I use one on the $10 HF spray guns to spray it on. Clean with gasoline.
Use it up because it disappears like magic.

Thanks for the info. I will try it and report back. For spraying I got the aerosol cans--we'll see how well they work, too.
raynekat
You had already bought your glue or I would have recommended this stuff.
It was absolutely the best and most Home Depots or Lowes have it on the shelf.
Will be interested to see how the glue you purchased works.
You should be fine I would think.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
I actually have that stuff, but on the 3M web site they seem hesitant to recommend that for vinyl. Instead they recommend number 80.
bkrantz
I finally got to see my seats and other interior pieces. Not perfect (and not original) but I am very satisfied.
bkrantz
Door panels look good, too.
bbrock
Those seats look fantastic! Seeing things like that makes me curse being afflicted with CW disease. drooley.gif
bkrantz
Brent, once I broke through the Original True Restoration barrier, I felt liberated, and was able to enjoy decisions like the color change, shaving the front side markers, and messing with the interior. I still feel like I am holding true to the spirit of the original 914 but I am sure somebody will argue with that.
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 21 2021, 08:17 PM) *

Brent, once I broke through the Original True Restoration barrier, I felt liberated, and was able to enjoy decisions like the color change, shaving the front side markers, and messing with the interior. I still feel like I am holding true to the spirit of the original 914 but I am sure somebody will argue with that.

I'd say you are holding true. I'm loving the choices you've made. I did shave the warts. Some things just can't be tolerated. I've also added some modern safety features as stealthily as possible but what good is a perfectly original 914 if it gets flattened by a truck with you in it? I'm also running carbs but there is a story behind that.
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2021, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 21 2021, 08:17 PM) *

I'd say you are holding true. I'm loving the choices you've made. I did shave the warts. Some things just can't be tolerated. I've also added some modern safety features as stealthily as possible but what good is a perfectly original 914 if it gets flattened by a truck with you in it? I'm also running carbs but there is a story behind that.

once you tear one down you are freed.
100% doing the right thing.

preservation is a bit of a burden.
like having the warts on it blink.gif .

the cars are for driving for the enjoyment.
its nerve wracking driving mine around in the "family truck" traffic down here.
esp. brakes. can not class those as enjoyable if am honest.
might have been top shelf in 1974, but way short now.
having gotten it going again i wish i had the $ to build myself another one,
completely gone over and sleeper-ed for the 21st century. like you are doing.

raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 20 2021, 07:38 PM) *

I actually have that stuff, but on the 3M web site they seem hesitant to recommend that for vinyl. Instead they recommend number 80.

Had no problem using it on the sail panel trim and dashboard face.
Your mileage may vary....

Oh and about that "originality" stuff.
At times I'm a stickler....other times not.
Do your own thang as they say.

stirthepot.gif
Puebloswatcop
I think your colors for the seats and cards is bold and they look fantastic, Great choice
bkrantz
Finally home and ready to play in my garage again. Since I brought the recovered seats and interior parts home, I could not resist seeing how these look in the car.
bkrantz
I also (literally) poked around on the center console panels. This is the right side interior.
bkrantz
Months ago, I made paper templates to show all the holes for mounting hardware.
bkrantz
I was able to find all the holes easily.
bkrantz
I did the left side and other pieces, and will get on to assembly next.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 2 2021, 08:23 PM) *

Finally home and ready to play in my garage again. Since I brought the recovered seats and interior parts home, I could not resist seeing how these look in the car.

Those look great in the car. Once the carpet is in it will really pop
bkrantz
I finished the center console assembly, first with all the metal brackets.
bkrantz
And the end plate, with the original staple nails plus a bit of all-purpose glue.
bkrantz
All done, with the bottom piece and the gauge panel. I am 90% satisfied--just the top seam along the right side that is not centered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.