Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Looks good in the car.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 3 2021, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 2 2021, 08:23 PM) *

Finally home and ready to play in my garage again. Since I brought the recovered seats and interior parts home, I could not resist seeing how these look in the car.

Those look great in the car. Once the carpet is in it will really pop

Thanks. I am waiting to test the electrical system and do a few more things before I install the carpet.
bkrantz
Among parts that arrived while I was gone are some Bilstein rubber shock bumpers.
bkrantz
These have the right ID to slide tightly onto the shock shaft, and provide about 1 inch of bump protection. Enough to avoid metal-on-metal if the shocks ever bottom out.
bkrantz
With the rear shock assemblies done for now, I was able to tighten all the hardware.
bkrantz
More parts: stainless steel screws.
bkrantz
These are for the rear brake disks, replacing the originals that were partly mangled.
bkrantz
And more stainless hardware.
bkrantz
These are for the headlamp retaining rings.
bkrantz
So now I have both headlamps installed.
bkrantz
Today was my first play time with spray adhesive (DAP Landau gunk). I started with the dash center plates, which I covered with the same vinyl on my seats and door cards.

I taped together the main left side and the radio block-off plate.
bkrantz
Here are the vinyl piece, taped to keep it straight, and the plates, both already sprayed with adhesive. According to the instructions on the spray can, for "permanent" bonds, I have up to 2 hours after spraying both sides to make the join.
bkrantz
Joined and after initial trim, and compared to the vinyl piece I took off. That looks very crude--perhaps not original?
bkrantz
The vinyl must be wrapped over the edge of the radio plate next to the glove box and around the lock.
bkrantz
A little messy but it works.
bkrantz
After cutting all the holes. Not bad.
bkrantz
Next up was the glove box door. This is a bit more complicated since the vinyl attaches to the cover plate and the door itself.
bkrantz
I also needed to make the perforations line up with the rest of the dash plate. I made a jig to position the vinyl and the glove box plate.
bkrantz
Sprayed.
bkrantz
Adhered using the jig.
bkrantz
Trimmed close for wrapping on 3 sides, and longer on the edge that will wrap onto the door.
bkrantz
Plate edges wrapped.
bkrantz
I used 3M high strength auto tape to attach the plate to the door.
bkrantz
Final product: plate attached to the door, and the vinyl wrapped over the door edge. This should work.
CptTripps
Your build looks amazing. Really well done.

Loving the 2-tone interior.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 4 2021, 08:55 PM) *

Final product: plate attached to the door, and the vinyl wrapped over the door edge. This should work.

Your attention to detail is incredible.....
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 4 2021, 06:47 PM) *

I also needed to make the perforations line up with the rest of the dash plate. I made a jig to position the vinyl and the glove box plate.

I was definitely going to "ding" ya on points if those perforations didn't line up!
Hey, who does this kind of stuff? haha
bkrantz
I had about an hour today, and felt calm, so I took on the rear sway bar link bushings. As often reported, this qualifies as a true PITA.

Note the one bushing that looks a bit yellow. This is the only "spare part" I got with the car, besides some fuses floating in the center box.
bkrantz
I tried a few things, including simple pressing, that did not work. What did work was inserting the open bushing end at an angle as far as possible, with the bushing warmed up and a bit of grease.
bkrantz
I then muscled the remaining part of the open rim into the link rink, with some assistance from my pry tool (a dull screw driver).
bkrantz
After that is was fairly easy to press the bushing through.
bkrantz
Then I pressed the links onto the sway bar. Helps to twist the link while pressing.
bkrantz
And then I pressed the other ends of the links onto the shock bolts.
bkrantz
That is the last of the chassis work, including brakes. piratenanner.gif
Cairo94507
Can't wait to see your car back on all 4 wheels. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 5 2021, 08:46 PM) *

That is the last of the chassis work, including brakes. piratenanner.gif

Man, the car looks absolutely awesome. Cant wait to see what is next.
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. It feels good to see progress, but still lots to do. The motor is still a pile of parts and boxes.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 6 2021, 09:01 PM) *

Thanks, guys. It feels good to see progress, but still lots to do. The motor is still a pile of parts and boxes.

I cant wait to see you dig into that. Your work is impeccable. So the drive train should be a real good part to follow.
horizontally-opposed
Satisfying just to see pics under the car—has to be enormously satisfying looking at them in person at this point in your journey.

Inspiring stuff!
bkrantz
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 7 2021, 10:26 AM) *

Satisfying just to see pics under the car—has to be enormously satisfying looking at them in person at this point in your journey.

Inspiring stuff!

The underside is one of my favorite views, since it looks mostly done. Then I look at the interior and feel more urgent.
bkrantz
Speaking of the interior, I made some progress towards that today and tackled the dash top. I masked off the new paint near the areas to get adhesive. More to come about the paint and adhesive...
bkrantz
First step was to spray the dash and underside of padding with Weldwood Landau adhesive.
bkrantz
Padding in place, with lots of overhang on all sides. I started adhering in the center, and then pulled the paper out gradually on both sides.
bkrantz
Padding all stuck down. Very good adhesion.
bkrantz
And then trimmed all around with a new utility blade.
bkrantz
After that, I got out the liquid Weldwood. I decided to do what the factory did and glue down only the edges of the vinyl.
bkrantz
Test fitting the vinyl. Again, lots of overlap.
bkrantz
I taped the ends to add some gentle tension.

Then I first glued along the inside edge, about 1/2 inch below the raised area (and foam padding). Sorry, no picture.

I brushed adhesive onto the dash and the edge of the vinyl. On the first attempt, I realized the adhesive solvent was lifting the black paint (Rustoleum semi-gloss rattle can). I had to clean that up with acetone, and apply another coat of adhesive.
bkrantz
Once the inner edge was stuck on, I brushed adhesive onto the leading edge of the vinyl and the underside of the dash.
bkrantz
While smoothing and gently stretching, I folded the vinyl over the edge and stuck it to the underside. For the defroster vent inner corners, I duplicated the cuts on the original vinyl (bisecting the corner angles).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.