Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Cleaned up and almost ready to install.
bkrantz
Next step on the dash: installing the front plate. I used 3M high strength double-sided auto adhesive tape.
bkrantz
Stuck on, located by the holes for switches, etc.
bkrantz
Dash is starting to look like a dash.
bkrantz
I pulled out the original glove box. Its in pretty good shape, including the inner flocking, but has a bit of a bow along the front edge.
bkrantz
I let the fiberboard soak and absorb some water, and then clamped the bowed edge--I hope it dries straight.
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 8 2021, 06:37 PM) *

I let the fiberboard soak and absorb some water, and then clamped the bowed edge--I hope it dries straight.

I did one by holding it over a steaming pot of soup blink.gif
gereed75
I have thought of the thinned penetrating epoxies as a means of repairing fiberboard. They are designed to repair dry rotted wood by soaking in and then setting.

Seems would work on fiber board also. Get Rot is a brand name Among others https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Git-Rot-Penetra...998&sr=8-30

Have planned to use it to repair/re-enforce my back pad when I get around to it. Anyone have any experience with it?
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Mar 8 2021, 09:05 PM) *

Come on, you have to be more specific--what kind of soup?
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 9 2021, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Mar 8 2021, 09:05 PM) *

Come on, you have to be more specific--what kind of soup?

Large pot homemade garden vegetable. chowtime.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 8 2021, 09:08 PM) *

I have thought of the thinned penetrating epoxies as a means of repairing fiberboard. They are designed to repair dry rotted wood by soaking in and then setting.

Seems would work on fiber board also. Get Rot is a brand name Among others https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Git-Rot-Penetra...998&sr=8-30

Have planned to use it to repair/re-enforce my back pad when I get around to it. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've used old fashioned wood glue to reinforce and repair the fiber board. For areas that are intact but floppy, I spritzed down the area to dampen with water and then painted over with wood glue to sort of dissolve int the dampness and soak into the fibers. To repair areas where chunks of fiber have come off but I still have them, I used the same technique but reinforced the repair with torn strips of brown paper applied like paper mache on both sides of the board. I then laid wax paper over the repair and clamped to hold the shape until dry. Worked great.

I also straightened my glove box using the same process a bkrantz. Also works great but I guess I missed out on the soup going that route.
gereed75
[/quote] I’ve used old fashioned wood glue to reinforce and repair the fiber board. For areas that are intact but floppy, I spritzed down the area to dampen with water and then painted over with wood glue to sort of dissolve int the dampness and soak into the fibers. To repair areas where chunks of fiber have come off but I still have them, I used the same technique but reinforced the repair with torn strips of brown paper applied like paper mache on both sides of the board. I then laid wax paper over the repair and clamped to hold the shape until dry. Worked great.

I also straightened my glove box using the same process a bkrantz. Also works great but I guess I missed out on the soup going that route.
[/quote]

That is a great idea. I think the trick is to get the adhesive of choice to soak into the fiberboard. Any similar paper, like a brown paper bag, would supply the reinforcing fibers

Basically a composite structure - fiber elements embedded in a bonding matrix. Not that it matters, but I wonder what the original adhesive used in fiberboard was?

I’ll File the wood glue one away in the memory bank for future use!
bkrantz
Well, here's my glove box after drying in the clamps. Pretty straight. And since it only had a few small cracks, I will not try any glue or resin (for now).
bkrantz
Before I started working on the dash, I installed the "new" reflector panel I got from KevinW for the right tail light. Thanks again, Kevin.
bkrantz
After cleaning up the old glue and a bit of sanding to smooth out the mounting tabs, I glued it in place. Tail lights are now complete, except for LED bulbs.
bkrantz
Now, on to the dash. Here are the pieces for the glove box lock, and the door handle.
bkrantz
Lock installed
bkrantz
Door with handle, and mounting hardware. The "original" pivot screws are a mixed pair, so I dug into my hardware stash for some that match.
bkrantz
Here's the door installed. Much easier with the dash on the work table.
bkrantz
Viewed from the outside--looks even.
bkrantz
Also easier to install the actual box now.
bkrantz
OK, time for the 914 Rubber replacement dash top. Again, I think I prefer to install this before mounting the dash in the car, or at least see how everything fits.
bkrantz
First fitting attempt. The nylon mounting studs across the top of the dash fit well, along with the center stud on the face edge, but the stud mounts on the left and right side are a bit off. Time to enlarge the holes just a bit.
bkrantz
I also realized that the ash tray bracket has to go on before the dash top.
bkrantz
Fitting attempt number two. All the studs and holes now line up, and the front looks good.
bkrantz
The windshield side is not bad, but a few spots are less than great.
bkrantz
The match between the top and the new padded vinyl is good along the straight segments on right and left.
bkrantz
But along the instrument cowl, the gap is a bit large and shows the edge of the dash top, which is a little rough.
bkrantz
The biggest gap is on the sides of the cowl. I have a few ideas to fix this.
bkrantz
Just for fun, and to check the fit, I installed the bottom dash knee bolster.
bkrantz
I know the lower bolster has to come off to install the dash, but I like seeing how the whole thing will look.
bkrantz
A few more things to deal with. The ash tray front is low, even with the bracket adjusted all the way up.
bkrantz
And the side gaps are a bit big.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 10 2021, 06:54 PM) *

Compared to my gaps here.....yours look stellar.
Wouldn't sweat it too much.
euro911
Looks great. After the fact, there's a re-flocking kit available for the glove box. I haven't done it (yet), but I've seen the results from some other members' applications and they turned out nice.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 10 2021, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 10 2021, 06:54 PM) *

Compared to my gaps here.....yours look stellar.
Wouldn't sweat it too much.

Doug, I am way beyond being able to ignore things. (Help!)
bkrantz
Big day today--installing the dash. I got the top studs into their holes, and then bolted the underside bracket.
bkrantz
Then the top studs, accessed from the frunk side.
bkrantz
Then the side screws.
bkrantz
And done! (I hope)
bkrantz
From the front. I still need to deal with the gap around the instrument cowl.
bkrantz
One more! I am excited since I have been waiting to get on with installing the blower, all the switches and gauges, and then testing the electrical system.
ElCee
You better paint these two spots black.Click to view attachment
NS914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 11 2021, 10:33 PM) *

From the front. I still need to deal with the gap around the instrument cowl.

Bob, your work and attention to detail is amazing...you like a number of other Teeners in our World are amazing! Thanks for posting such great images as well....you have me looking to remove my Muffler Shield and now and cleaning everything up underneath for sure.

I will be sitting down over the weekend and likely longer to go back and read your whole thread!

Much thanks, Grant
bkrantz
Thanks for the tip, ElCee.

And thanks, Grant. Glad to share. Most days taking photos as I work keeps me steady.
bkrantz
OK, add another error to my record. As I started to feed all the wiring across the inside of the dash, and install the pull switches left of the steering wheel, I found this. Can you figure out what I did wrong?
bkrantz
After I mounted the front plate to the dash frame, I cut out all the holes in the dash face, without thinking. On my car, switches fill the 3 holes left of the steering wheel, and the cigarette lighter goes in the big hole on the right. But now I have 2 extra holes!
bkrantz
While I think about what to do with the dash, I got going on the targa hoop vinyl and trim. A couple of weeks ago, I polished some aluminum trim, including the pieces that mount along the window sides of the sails. But I left the metal unprotected. Rather than clear coat, I decided to try a metal polish.
bkrantz
We will see how this stuff holds up to time and weather.
bkrantz
On to installing the vinyl. I started with the top piece, and masked off the surrounding area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.