Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Then I made my own jumper for the indicator lamps, following Spoke's design.
bkrantz
Plus a 2 into 1 spade connector.
bkrantz
The new ground jumper installed, connecting the indicator lamps to the ground terminal on the back of the tach.
bkrantz
Success! Here are both indicators on with the emergency flashers on. They also work individually with the turn signals on. And I had to invert the left and right wires to reconcile the circuit change in the new flasher relay.
bkrantz
I then checked out just about every other switch and component, and it looks like everything works--so far.
bkrantz
One last detail today: I got out the new front fender gap seals.
bkrantz
I installed them both, but left them uncut to see if they shrink a bit with time.
Cairo94507
Looking beautiful. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
Fantastic progress Bob. I just back from Colorado and sent my badly butchered wiring harness back here to Texas. Will be referring back to your wiring build to hopefully make a working harness.

Hope the head rebuild goes well. Cant wait to see the next phase.
Root_Werks
Also still dealing with a butchered wiring harness. It's very frustrating when people don't understand what they are messing with.

Very nice! Love catching up on this thread.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 7 2021, 07:15 PM) *

Success! Here are both indicators on with the emergency flashers on. They also work individually with the turn signals on. And I had to invert the left and right wires to reconcile the circuit change in the new flasher relay.

Our project has both turn signals and the 4 way flashers working, but not the indicator lights are not lighting. is there a separate feed for the indicator lights.

BTW: looks great
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 8 2021, 01:02 PM) *

Our project has both turn signals and the 4 way flashers working, but not the indicator lights are not lighting. is there a separate feed for the indicator lights.

Sounds like you have the same problem I had. The positive feeds to the left and right indicator lights in the tach (black/green and black/white wires, from the hazard switch) were working but the ground was not. I added the ground as per the design of Spoke and got the indicators to work.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 8 2021, 10:46 AM) *

Also still dealing with a butchered wiring harness. It's very frustrating when people don't understand what they are messing with.

Very nice! Love catching up on this thread.

Thanks. The wire harness work was the most tedious part of the project so far. But now I am happy that I spent weeks with the harness laid out on a big table, and traced every wire and connection, and fixed everything that looked bad.
bkrantz
Fuel pump runs (with the correct connection tab on the relay board grounded).
bkrantz
Here's my idea for moving the interior light to the ashtray slot. Seems like a good place for a cabin light.
bkrantz
I mocked up an insert that will hold the light fixture.
bkrantz
This could work.
bkrantz
Now to fab this, starting with some aluminum sheet metal.
bkrantz
Here's the new bit of harness to extend the interior light leads. I already re-routed the existing wires from up between the seats to forward along the center tunnel.
bkrantz
I ran the extension to follow the existing harness, behind the pedals and up under the dash.
bkrantz
Ending up by the ashtray slot.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 8 2021, 08:44 PM) *

Sounds like you have the same problem I had. The positive feeds to the left and right indicator lights in the tach (black/green and black/white wires, from the hazard switch) were working but the ground was not. I added the ground as per the design of Spoke and got the indicators to work.

Thank you Bob, could this be as simple as pulling the speedo and adding a ground wire?
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 9 2021, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 8 2021, 08:44 PM) *

Thank you Bob, could this be as simple as pulling the speedo and adding a ground wire?

On mine, I pulled the tach, and removed the "ground" from the indicator lights (blue and white wire). I then added a ground jumper connecting both lights and the ground connection at the main bus on the tach.
bkrantz
Here's the new interior light ash-tray fitting in aluminum. The second piece will attach the lamp holder to the underside of the original ash tray slide.
bkrantz
More electrical testing. I could not get any voltage from contact in the cig lighter, and so pulled it out.
bkrantz
I guess I had "temporarily" installed it without checking or cleaning it. Pretty nasty inside.
bkrantz
And here it is all apart. Time to let the contact plate soak in Evaporust.
bkrantz
One mark in the loss category, at least for now: my clock stopped working.
bkrantz
Clock follow-up: when I connected the battery today, at first the clock did not run. Later it started ticking. So, I have a part-time clock?
bkrantz
Back to the cig lighter, I pulled the lighter section apart, and cleaned the components.
bkrantz
With all the rust and crud gone, I re-installed the lighter socket and tested the power--success!
bkrantz
Now I have a functional cig lighter. I never expect to light any cigs, but it might be handy as a power outlet.
bkrantz
And then back to my new interior light holder. Here is the internal bracket piece, screwed into the underside of the slide.
bkrantz
One more temp fitting.
bkrantz
To get the two pieces to stick in the right position temporarily, I got out my gallon of contact cement.
bkrantz
Here are the two pieces stuck together.
bkrantz
Final test fit. I think this will work, but it looks kinda plain.
bkrantz
I found something that fits--what do you guys think? I would use a black logo over brushed aluminum.
bkrantz
Moving along my shelf of parts, I checked the key in the door latches I removed way back in the beginning. I have 2 keys. The more warn key opens one door lock, but only the less warn key opens the other. Both keys work in the ignition.
bkrantz
Next on the shelf was the box of seat belt parts. I had the original webbing replaced, and with a little color for the interior.
bkrantz
First, I got the order of parts correct.
bkrantz
I then made sure the internal spring in the reel was fully wound, and then inserted the belt end.
bkrantz
This pin retains the belt end in the spool center.
bkrantz
Here's the spool all set with the new belt.
bkrantz
I also got new labels for the release buttons.
bkrantz
Better. Note that I removed the plastic sheath and wires for the belt interlock warning system.
bkrantz
Now to sort out the mounting hardware. I think I have the correct parts for the buckles.
bkrantz
And for the shoulder yokes.
bkrantz
But the correct pieces for the belt anchor are a mystery. Here are parts that came off the car, plus some others that I sourced.
bkrantz
And to add to the confusion, I dug through my old parts for the box of belt hardware, including eye-bolts from my racing days. In the bag I found 3 more 914 mounting bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.