Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
bkrantz
Now time to move on. Here is the middle layer patch for the top of the sill, final fit.
bkrantz
And welded in place.
bkrantz
And here is the top layer patch, nearly fitted.
bkrantz
Started welding on the last layer, beginning with the flange against the inner fender wall. Nice to have the car on the rotisserie, so I could weld with the flange and fender wall horizontal.
bkrantz
I ground down the welds along the flange and they looked good, so went on the weld the main part of the patch. Mostly straight-forward, except along the seam against the remaining original pitted metal. That led to some more ugly welds.
bkrantz
I still have to grind this down and check the weld success, but I am happy to be close to done on closing up the hell hole, only 6 months after I cut a hole in the top to explore for internal rust.
tygaboy
A bit of sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

And now some piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Super job! Isn't it a great feeling when it's "job done"? Keep up the great work and detailed documentation.
bkrantz
Thanks. Milestones are good for my mental health, as are my documentations and posts.

Anyway, here is the finished (for now) product. A bit lumpy, but it should be functional and look OK, especially after prep and paint.
bkrantz
On to the firewall. Here's a cardboard template fit for the lower patch.
bkrantz
Small patch cut and formed, with holes in the flanges for plug welds.
bkrantz
Final fit.
bkrantz
After welding and grinding. Now time for the bigger hole...
bkrantz
And from the engine side.
bkrantz
Spent about an hour today working on forming the upper firewall patch, including the diagonal raised ribs. Still needs more work in the complex corner on the right side.
FourBlades

Looking good!

You are making good progress.

John
9146C
Very impressed with your fabrication work!
tygaboy
Fabricationlous! smash.gif Nice looking patch piece. You're making great progress. smilie_pokal.gif
bkrantz
Thank, guys. Just a bit of time to play body shop today. The corner fold looks better, and I am ready to trim this patch.
bkrantz
Spent a couple of hours fitting the new patch. After the initial cut, I had it in and out about a dozen times--definitely trying to attain the Zen level of patience. Here it is near the end of fitting trials.
bkrantz
And after tack-welding. Time for more patience.
bkrantz
Welding done, and initial grinding. Might be a few spots to touch up.
bkrantz
On to the last thing in the hell hole area: the right engine shelf. Here is the piece from RD.
bkrantz
First fit check after my initial trim. I need only the front half of the shelf, and a bit more of the rubber seal channel.
bkrantz
And after about a dozen cycles of check, trim, bend, repeat. About 90% fitted.
raynekat
Looks good Bob.
bkrantz
Thanks, Doug. Still lots to do on the body shell (finish the shelf, remount the front fender, straighten the rear fender and rear panel, miscellaneous brackets and braces) and then both doors and the replacement trunk lid need a bit of work.

But we do this for fun, right?
bkrantz
Had a couple of hours of garage time and worked to finish the fit. I could not get both ends just right, so I tried tack welding one end and working the fit as I welded towards the other end. Seemed to work OK.
Lilchopshop
Bob, I'm really enjoying your thread! Thank you for the excellent documentation! Its great to see that top-level workmanship can still be achieved without a fully-outfitted fabrication shop. This will be a great reference for me as I go through my project.

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I'm going to start calling you Bob "Dunwright".

Thanks for saving your car and installing so very much love into it. Great stuff. smilie_pokal.gif
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. Encouragement always helps.
bkrantz
Got the engine shelf welding done. I am pretty happy with results except where I fumbled the grinder inside the groove for the rubber engine shelf seal. I will probably splice in a piece to fix this.
bkrantz
On to the rest of the issues in the engine compartment. First is the right trunk hinge bracket. Grinding out the old, torn bracket resulted in a couple of small holes (and some brass from the brazing done by the PO).
bkrantz
After welding the grind the holes.
bkrantz
And after measuring, and re-measuring, I tack-welded the new bracket in place. I will triple-check the position tomorrow and finish the welds.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I started the next task. Both the left and right engine lid hinge brackets were torn out. The PO "fixed" these by bolting through the firewall. Left side.
bkrantz
Right side.
bkrantz
I cut out just enough to get straight edges, and did a bit of metal work to even things up. Left side.
bkrantz
And right side. I will cut some patches tomorrow.
bkrantz
When I measured the right trunk hinge bracket today, I found it to be about 1/8 inch low. So I cut off the tack welds, repositioned, measured about 5 more times, and welded it in for good (I hope). My MIG welder is acting funny, so I may grind these semi-ugly welds and redo it once I figure out what is wrong.
bkrantz
Back to the engine lid hinges, here's the patch for the left side.
bkrantz
And the right side.
bkrantz
Left side bracket in position.
bkrantz
And welded.
bkrantz
And right side.
raynekat
Yeah, those engine lid brackets need to be in the correct position. If too low, your engine lid will be too low and have a big gap on the leading edge. If too hight you could use some washers to space the lid down to the correct height.

Moral...better to be too high than too low.
bkrantz
I will find out before too much longer. Before any final body and paint work I plan to mount all the lids and doors to check alignment.
bkrantz
Last task in the engine compartment area is dealing with the festival of holes in the firewall, left by POs.
bkrantz
Here's my favorite. How and why did somebody do this?
bkrantz
After straightening the sheet metal at some holes, I got the grinder with the paint stripping disk busy.
bkrantz
Looking ahead to the next job: repairing the sides of the cowl panel where it meets the tops of the front fenders. The front trunk lid opened too far, probably many times, and made contact with the cowl weatherstrip channel. This deformed the channel and tore the corner joint.

Here is the right side, where I have previously removed the fender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.