Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Here's the overall look. I like it.

I will finish the top edge. My first idea is a plastic U-channel, on order.
bkrantz
I also got replacement targa latch hooks, from AA.
bkrantz
Compared to the worn original.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 15 2021, 06:02 PM) *

That does look good Bob.
Likely should have done something this on my build.
Were my aftermarket GTS Classic seats fit into the cutouts in the factory firewall upholstery piece, they rub and squeak like crazy.
This setup would have nixed that.

Nice!

Yeah and those new targa latch hooks look immensely better.
Sometimes parts on these old cars are irretrievably worn out.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 16 2021, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 15 2021, 06:02 PM) *

That does look good Bob.
Likely should have done something this on my build.
Were my aftermarket GTS Classic seats fit into the cutouts in the factory firewall upholstery piece, they rub and squeak like crazy.
This setup would have nixed that.

Nice!

Yeah and those new targa latch hooks look immensely better.
Sometimes parts on these old cars are irretrievably worn out.

Thanks, Doug. I think the perlon cover makes the interior look a bit bigger and more modern--and less of a sea of black vinyl.
bkrantz
With the perlon cover in place, I got out the engine lid cable.
bkrantz
Connected to the latch, with a home-made substitute to cover the open tube.
bkrantz
Collar and knob on the inside.
bkrantz
I made similar covers for the heater control tubes.
bkrantz
Before installing carpet, I wanted to finish everything else inside, including the control cables. So I got out the bag of hardware. The wobbly connecting rod is the one I took off the car, the other is a replacement.
bkrantz
I started with the speedometer cable.
bkrantz
I started feeding it from the engine side.
bkrantz
And then I made space so I could route it the "official" way: in the tunnel aft of the cross member, and then up along side the wiring harness.
bkrantz
Cable emerging!
bkrantz
And up to the speedometer.
bkrantz
I think I got the cable laid out correctly.
bkrantz
And then I mounted the odometer reset cable.
bkrantz
Done, with the little knob mounted.
bkrantz
And sealed up at the firewall.
bkrantz
Next, the clutch cable. I bought the genuine Porsche part.
bkrantz
Easy to feed this in from the rear, and then mount the fork and lock nut.
bkrantz
A bit fiddly, but I then got the retaining pin attached.
bkrantz
Next, the throttle cable, also a Porsche part.
bkrantz
Also fed in from the rear.
bkrantz
And then I made sure it was not wrapped around the clutch cable.
bkrantz
And then I attached the ball joint, and mounted that onto the pedal crank.
bkrantz
Then I installed the covers for the tunnel. I dug these out of the powder-coated box.
bkrantz
Rear cover installed.
bkrantz
Threaded captive nut threads cleaned.
bkrantz
And front cover installed.
bkrantz
I have not shown a shot of my white board in a while, but these lists are pretty much done.
bkrantz
I got out the drains and plugs for the frunk floor.
bkrantz
Along with a few standard rubber grommets, all the holes are filled.
bkrantz
And a larger grommet in my lumpy front panel.
bkrantz
I got this kit for 2 pin waterproof connectors. It has all the components and weather sealing.
bkrantz
For these plugs to work on the left fog light, I had to add a single wire to the double lead (positive).
bkrantz
Shrink wrap insulation. And don't forget to put the wire seal stoppers on.
bkrantz
All the left side leads with male and female pins. I soldered these on for extra reliability.
bkrantz
Inserting the pins into the female connector requires removing the red locking tab.
bkrantz
Female connector done. These things are a bit fiddly, but might be worth the effort if they keep water out.
bkrantz
I then make an effort to seal all the leads with a combination of standard tubing and heat-shrink stuff.
bkrantz
The fog lights still work!
bkrantz
With the lights done, I can get going on completing the front. I got out my lower valence, a bit lumpy but its powder-coated and should resist chips.
bkrantz
Some new hardware.
bkrantz
After some minor twisting, I got the valence mounted. That included some home-made spacers for the side bolts, between the valence and the lower fender edges.
Puebloswatcop
Good Morning Bob. As usual your work is incredible. I like the idea of the waterproof plug for the fog lights, as it serves the primary function, but also allows for pulling the wires back if needed in the future without hacking the wires again. I was wondering where you sourced the standard wire sheathing? I cant seem to find a resource here in east Texas.

Keep up the great work.
bkrantz
Thanks. I can't remember the source for the standard cable tubing. At least some of it has been in my electrical supply box for years.
bkrantz
Today was bumper day. I had these re-chromed in Tucson last year. Lots of hand smudges.
bkrantz
Here's the front bumper top I took off the car, one of the few parts I found that is actually in good condition.
bkrantz
I cleaned it with Simple Green, and then gave it a rubber treatment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.