Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Cover installed, with new sealing nuts.
bkrantz
And then the impeller hub and crank nose seal.
bkrantz
Before installing the hub, I dressed the sealing surface with some emery paper.
bkrantz
I also cleaned up the small Woodruff key.
bkrantz
Seal and hub installed.
930cabman
Bob, what grit did you use to clean the sealing surface of the hub? and did you use a "seal installer"
thanks
iankarr
Did you put the o-ring around the nose of the crank before installing the seal? Just backing ya up since i don't see it in the parts pic wink.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 29 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Bob, what grit did you use to clean the sealing surface of the hub? and did you use a "seal installer"
thanks

I used some 1000 grit emery paper. And then rinsed the hub with solvent.

For the installer, I used a Jeep hub socket.
bkrantz
QUOTE(iankarr @ Aug 29 2021, 10:52 AM) *

Did you put the o-ring around the nose of the crank before installing the seal? Just backing ya up since i don't see it in the parts pic wink.gif

Thanks for the reminder, Ian--I forgot the O-ring. I think I had it for the first build attempt, but lost it in the shuffle. I just ordered a new one.

I owe you one!
bkrantz
I also realized I forgot a couple of the oil galley plugs. Here are the two galleys on the side of the oil cooler mounting flange.
bkrantz
And the remaining NPT plugs in the kit.
bkrantz
After some thread sealant...
bkrantz
Both plugs are in place.
bkrantz
Now I have one very small plug left over. I don't see any of the small galleys that were opened and threaded.
bkrantz
My next project is creating and installing a new oil dip stick tube, since the original was pretty beat up.
bkrantz
I bought a 1mm and then a 0.5mm wall tube, both 8mm OD (original on the right).
bkrantz
That was based on my measurement of the original tube main section.
bkrantz
But the part that inserts into the engine case is larger, about 8.4mm. Now I have to figure out how to expand the base of the tubing.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 29 2021, 08:16 PM) *

Now I have one very small plug left over. I don't see any of the small galleys that were opened and threaded.

Probably 1/8" NPT, would be installed on the face of the case near the dip stick tube. Take your time, don't get too anxious and miss a step or two.
Thanks for posting, many of us are following your build
iankarr
Got your six smile.gif though in this group that could take on other meanings! Your build is spectacular.
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 29 2021, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Aug 29 2021, 10:52 AM) *

Thanks for the reminder, Ian--I forgot the O-ring. I think I had it for the first build attempt, but lost it in the shuffle. I just ordered a new one.

I owe you one!

bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 30 2021, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 29 2021, 08:16 PM) *

Probably 1/8" NPT, would be installed on the face of the case near the dip stick tube. Take your time, don't get too anxious and miss a step or two.
Thanks for posting, many of us are following your build

Thanks--as soon as I get back to my garage I will check that.
930cabman
Bob,

have a look at post # 3605, it would be directly to the left of the fan hub. The factory plug appears to still be in place.
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 3 2021, 05:50 AM) *

Bob,

have a look at post # 3605, it would be directly to the left of the fan hub. The factory plug appears to still be in place.

Yes. As far as I can tell, all the very small plugs are still in place (and look solid).
raynekat
Bob....did anyone ever tell you that you act like an engineer?

Ha! I almost forgot, you are an engineer.
Love watching you get into the minutia of it all.
Well done man.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 3 2021, 08:51 PM) *

Bob....did anyone ever tell you that you act like an engineer?

Ha! I almost forgot, you are an engineer.
Love watching you get into the minutia of it all.
Well done man.

To be fair to all actual engineers, I am only a scientist by training. But maybe an aspiring engineer by compulsion.
bkrantz
Speaking of which, I tried again to make my new oil dipstick tube.

Here are two hardened steel rods (from McMaster-Carr): 7.4 and 7.5 mm.
bkrantz
Got my bench grinder onto my bench. Some day in my dream shop I will have more bench space.
bkrantz
I ground the end of the 7.4 mm rod, so I can use it as a mandrel for the 8.0 mm tubing.
bkrantz
I first tried to force the rod into the tubing cold, but that did not work.

So I used a propane torch to heat the rod and tubing.
bkrantz
That worked, especially after I refined my technique to heat the tubing a small section at a time.
bkrantz
But the end result was too much enlargement. I need the end of the dipstick tube to have an OD of about 7.35 mm, but got 7.45.

So back online to order a smaller diameter rod.
bkrantz
Still waiting for several parts to arrive, so I can fool with some miscellaneous stuff, like the hidden antenna that will connect to my hidden audio system. I have no idea how well this will work, but I will find out eventually.
bkrantz
Here is my current plan: mounting the antenna pad inside the upper corner of the windshield.
bkrantz
The wire goes along the A-pillar.
bkrantz
And through the gap at the side of the dashboard.
bkrantz
I re-installed the A-pllar pad, the left the antenna ready to mount to the windshield. (Reminder: I need to get on sourcing the windshield.)
bkrantz
At the bottom end, I connected the antenna lead. And then the harness for the center console gauges.
bkrantz
And then I worked on the replacement console panel. I took the custom cover that had been mounted on the original (cracked) panel. Staples in the MDF did not work well, so I decided to use spray adhesive.
bkrantz
Not my neatest effort, but I got the vinyl glued on evenly, and the underside edges eventually stuck in the right place.
bkrantz
Once everything dries, I will clean up the mess with 3M adhesive remover.
930cabman
Looks great, how close is the vinyl to the original, was is readily available?
raynekat
Meant to say you're one of them "earth" engineers. Ha
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 6 2021, 05:15 AM) *

Looks great, how close is the vinyl to the original, was is readily available?

Reasonably close. I had the upholstery shop recover all the console pieces, the arm rest, and door panels at the same time, so at least they all match.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 6 2021, 05:06 PM) *

Meant to say you're one of them "earth" engineers. Ha

Yup, a pebble pup.
bkrantz
I cleaned up both sides, first with 3M and then a vinyl cleaner.
bkrantz
This should do.
bkrantz
I spent some time refining fits. Here is the left headlight after the last quick adjustment--not quite right.
bkrantz
This is better, and the best I can do without enlarging some of the mounting holes.
bkrantz
I then tackled the sagging hood. Initially, I put the springs in the middle notch.
bkrantz
I put my special tool back together, and moved the spring to the "longest" notch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.