Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
bkrantz
Right side sheet metal.
bkrantz
Instead of the stock cheese head screws, I got the bag of Allen head bolts from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
It took a bit of twisting and shoving, but I got the right side installed. Maybe the sheet metal warped a bit when the powder coating shop sand-blasted it.
bkrantz
Left side sheet metal.
bkrantz
This side went on easier.
autopro
Looks great, especially with all that nice new hardware.
bkrantz
More sheet metal today. Here's the rear piece.
bkrantz
Sheet metal is almost complete--or is it?
bkrantz
I tried to fit the manifolds--should have done this earlier.
bkrantz
The right side was OK, but the left side sheet metal interferes with the manifold flange.
bkrantz
That led to several attempts to file the opening, test fit, and then finally paint the raw edges.
bkrantz
I also filed down the washers.
bkrantz
In the end, everything fits on both sides.
bkrantz
Now all these pieces are on for real. I hope.
bkrantz
I also got my second replacement for the alternator vent rubber elbow. My old original is on the left, 914 Rubber repro in the middle, and new (repro) on the right. Note the new one shipped with a cheesy worm drive clamp.
bkrantz
I transferred the original clamp to the new elbow.
bkrantz
Installed into the rear of the blower housing.
bkrantz
And retaining clip in place.
Puebloswatcop
I admire your attention to detail. You've gotta be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and this time its not a train coming the other direction. Great work Bob
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 29 2021, 07:08 AM) *

I admire your attention to detail. You've gotta be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and this time its not a train coming the other direction. Great work Bob

Thanks. To get to the light, I figure I have these remaining jobs:

Mock up the EFI and ignition on the engine while on the stand
Also mock up EFI component on the body, and lay out wiring
Install clutch
Mate engine and trans, install in car
Install EFI and ignition, complete all plumbing and wiring
Build up half shafts and install
Install heat exchangers, muffler, and all ducts
Set up initial EFI/ignition program and test star
Tune program
Bleed and adjust brakes
Mount new tires
DIY wheel alignment
Install door hardware, glass, and trim
Go for a drive?
bkrantz
Time to install the front half of the blower housing.
bkrantz
A smear of grease on the locator pins. Sorry for the blurry photo.
bkrantz
I used a mix of original hardware and stuff from the shelf, but will replace these with Allen head bolts when they arrive.
bkrantz
With the housing together, I can install the alternator. First to put together the rebuilt unit with all the other parts, including a new wiring harness.
bkrantz
Connections on the alternator.
bkrantz
Alternator ready to install.
bkrantz
Brackets, sheet metal, and alternator installed, with the new cables routed through the side sheet metal.
bkrantz
Now, for the new EFI fun. Just to get started, I temporarily installed the twin manifolds.
djway
popcorn[1].gif
bkrantz
Last stock engine component: blower fan components.
bkrantz
Ready to install. I reused the original mounting bolts since they are an unusual length.
bkrantz
But I did not used the original A/C washer, since the Hall sensor trigger wheel replaces that.
bkrantz
Trigger wheel in place. I double checked the clearance with the sensor, which is about 1.5 mm (spec is less than 2.0).
bkrantz
Fan installed.
bkrantz
But then I saw that the fan belt grooves were not aligned, and I had installed the alternator pulley backwards.

(And nobody noticed? What good are you guys?)
bkrantz
Now, this is correct.
bkrantz
Grooves now line up.
bkrantz
Checking the engine underside. Looks good to me.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 30 2021, 08:44 PM) *

But then I saw that the fan belt grooves were not aligned, and I had installed the alternator pulley backwards.

Sorry, I was blinded by all the shiny parts.
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 31 2021, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 30 2021, 08:44 PM) *

Sorry, I was blinded by all the shiny parts.

Me too (at least that's my excuse this time).
bkrantz
The last of the sheet metal, front pieces.
bkrantz
Fully dressed.
bkrantz
Time to get serious about the new EFI system. Starting with an eye-candy shot.
bkrantz
But more seriously, I hope to get as much plumbing and wiring, plus the throttle linkage, done with the engine out.
Puebloswatcop
Bob,

The eye candy shots are making me drool, all over my key board...lol
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Nov 1 2021, 07:55 AM) *

Bob,

The eye candy shots are making me drool, all over my key board...lol

Sorry for the mess. If you go back to some of my earlier posts, with lots of rust and crud, that might help.
bkrantz
So here are the major components of the EFI and ignition system I need to install.

On the left, vacuum lines, fuel lines, and fuel pressure regulator.

Next, plug wire kit and electronic coil.

Next, air-fuel ration gauge, lamda kit, cables, and O2 sensor (with bung to be welded into exhaust).

Right, the ECU, relay board, and cable to connect them.
bkrantz
Plus a bunch of wires to connect them all.

Looks like fun, right?
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 29 2021, 09:35 PM) *

Alternator ready to install.

Bob,

Are you using the gaskets with the rebuild?
There is one for the back cover and another kind for the front where it mates with the Tin. This front one I cannot locate.

Also, I have read on here, some alternator rebuilds can have an issue with the stud for the harness inside the back grounding on the cover. Confirm there is sufficient clearance. Wouldn’t want any surprises with all that new shiny stuff.

Love your build!

Sean
raynekat
Alright....when does this baby get cranked alive....that's what I'm wondering?
Keep 'er going there Bob.
Looking good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.