Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
bkrantz
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Nov 2 2021, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 29 2021, 09:35 PM) *

Alternator ready to install.

Bob,

Are you using the gaskets with the rebuild?
There is one for the back cover and another kind for the front where it mates with the Tin. This front one I cannot locate.

Also, I have read on here, some alternator rebuilds can have an issue with the stud for the harness inside the back grounding on the cover. Confirm there is sufficient clearance. Wouldn’t want any surprises with all that new shiny stuff.

Love your build!

Sean

Thanks, Sean. I made a rear gasket, and have a front gasket (plastic ring) in-bound. Good reminder on the stud--mine has good clearance (and a new rubber boot).
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 2 2021, 05:04 PM) *

Alright....when does this baby get cranked alive....that's what I'm wondering?
Keep 'er going there Bob.
Looking good.

Doug, you trying to jinx me?

Anyway, I am aiming for Jan 1, when my son should be here and can help with the first round of programming.
bkrantz
Just a bit of garage time today. Here is the hole in the sheet metal for the oil pressure sensor, and now the lead for the CPS Hall sensor. This needs to be closed to contain the cooling air. Note the odd shape, with the hole centered on a fold in the sheet metal.
bkrantz
Let's try this: a 35 mm hole plug.
bkrantz
This could work, if it stays in place with air pressure inside.
bkrantz
That takes care of most things on the previous lists!
bkrantz
This could be the last set of lists.
bkrantz
Of course, the lists for the EFI and ignition are a bit longer. dry.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 1 2021, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Nov 1 2021, 07:55 AM) *

Bob,

The eye candy shots are making me drool, all over my key board...lol

Sorry for the mess. If you go back to some of my earlier posts, with lots of rust and crud, that might help.

I just went out to the garage and looked at mine, dried that drool right up. I follow your posts daily and cant wait till your list dwindles down to putting that key in the ignition.
TRS63
Thanks for sharing these progress ! Looking forward to the updates on the EFI system, as it might be on my list in the future !
Cheers

Antoine
914werke
Since you are in there why not replace the sender with a whip & remotely mount the OE sender &/or possibly pressure sender ?
bkrantz
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 3 2021, 10:31 AM) *

Since you are in there why not replace the sender with a whip & remotely mount the OE sender &/or possibly pressure sender ?

Hi, Rich--are you trying to get me into more trouble?

But good idea, and maybe something for the future.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 2 2021, 09:40 PM) *

Bob,

There is one for the back cover and another kind for the front where it mates with the Tin. This front one I cannot locate.

Also, I have read on here, some alternator rebuilds can have an issue with the stud for the harness inside the back grounding on the cover. Confirm there is sufficient clearance. Wouldn’t want any surprises with all that new shiny stuff.

Love your build!

Sean

Thanks, Sean. I made a rear gasket, and have a front gasket (plastic ring) in-bound. Good reminder on the stud--mine has good clearance (and a new rubber boot).

Of course you've got this covered!
Where did you source the front gasket (plastic ring) from?

Thanks,
bkrantz
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Nov 4 2021, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 2 2021, 09:40 PM) *

Bob,

Love your build!

Sean

Of course you've got this covered!
Where did you source the front gasket (plastic ring) from?

Thanks,

I put a WTB notice in the classifieds, and a kind 914Worlder had one for sale.
bkrantz
This arrived via Fedex yesterday.
bkrantz
That's 3 yards of 72 inch wide Perlon, in gray. I want enough to take care of the frunk, headliner, and more.
bkrantz
Laying out frunk pieces. That's the original bulkhead cover and my new custom floor.
bkrantz
Masking off the frunk bulkhead.
bkrantz
Another job for Weldwood contact adhesive spray.
bkrantz
It takes a double coat on the Perlon.
bkrantz
Stuck on, and upper rubber gasket replaced.
bkrantz
Floor with the Perlon stuck on the top side (I hope). The floor is not symmetrical, due to notches for the wire bundle and the frunk release.
bkrantz
I folded the Perlon over the edges, and glued onto the underside.
bkrantz
It fits! And a snug fit, like I was hoping.
bkrantz
Now the frunk is really done.
Arno914
Awesome detail, awesome work! aktion035.gif I really do enjoy to follow your built.

Just to be picky: The SILVER VIN PLATE is still missing in this beautiful front trunk. biggrin.gif

Arno
kroelofsen
Incredible work you are doing! Realy nice…
bkrantz
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Nov 5 2021, 01:38 AM) *

Awesome detail, awesome work! aktion035.gif I really do enjoy to follow your built.

Just to be picky: The SILVER VIN PLATE is still missing in this beautiful front trunk. biggrin.gif

Arno

Yeah, the original(?) headlight box did not have one, and I spliced in another with the front right corner from a donor--also lacking the plate. I might have to get a repro.
Puebloswatcop
As always your work looks awesome Bob. The frunk floor is a piece of art.
bkrantz
Today, I started on the doors, beginning with the right side. First step was to rinse the inside, which still had some blasting media inside.
bkrantz
That means sorting through all the hardware, including the stuff I had replaced.
bkrantz
First piece: the door stop.
bkrantz
Got the ball rolling!
bkrantz
Door lock.
bkrantz
Plus some spray grease.
bkrantz
Installed.
bkrantz
Actuating rods with new rubber stand-offs.
bkrantz
Installed.
bkrantz
Outer door handle and new rubber bits. I swapped the lock cylinders from the original handles into these repros months ago.
bkrantz
Installed.
bkrantz
Winder mechanism, after some clean up.
bkrantz
Installed.
bkrantz
Next up, the (non) vent window. I cleaned 50 years of crud from the glass.
bkrantz
To start, the glass, the front window track, and the new rubber seal, from 914Rubber.
bkrantz
First mod: the grooves for the guide channel do not extend across the "block", so I cut those.
bkrantz
Second problem: as discussed by others, the 914Rubber piece lacks a groove for the tab on the window retainer.
bkrantz
So I cut a slit for the tab, between the window channel groove (red lines) and the outer edge.
bkrantz
Not too much trouble to get the guide, window, and seal together, plus the retaining fixture.
bkrantz
Then a new top cap.
bkrantz
Installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.