Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Clutch fork (yes, glamorous plating that nobody will see), throw-out bearing, and new bushings.
bkrantz
A light smear of grease on the guide tube, fork pivot, and splines.
bkrantz
Fork and bearings with new bushings, and a bit more grease.
bkrantz
Installed, with a new pivot retainer.
bkrantz
Clutch cable pulley and housing.
bkrantz
Installed (and yes, needs a lube fill, since CMS emptied the initial fill after they ran the rebuilt trans on the bench).
bkrantz
Speaking of CMS, I just noticed their logo on their custom-machined intermediate plate.
bkrantz
Ready to install.
bkrantz
New clutch disk and cover.
bkrantz
Disk in place, with the alignment too (dummy shaft). Ready to install the cover, right? But something is missing--can you guess?
bkrantz
My new flywheel has no locating pins for the clutch cover. No problem, I will get the pins from the old flywheel. But that one also has no pins. Time to make another rush order.
bkrantz
So, in the time remaining, I got out the brackets for the engine support bar.
bkrantz
Pretty quick to get those installed. Snug for now, and will adjust and tighten after the engine is in place.
bkrantz
So, with more time I got out all the half-shaft parts, including new CVs from PMB. I got the version machined for the original fiber gasket. BTW, PMB was the only source I could find for new CVs with the proper 914-4 half-shaft splines.
bkrantz
Now I need to sort out the arrangement of circlips, washers, and spacers.
DRPHIL914
Looking good! thats a lot happening this week, coming together and you will be firing it up in no time. are you venting the crank case from the PVC to the fitting on the intake next to the head vent hose? Too bad you cant put the controller in a sealed box in the stock location rather than the trunk, i think thats what i would do.

Phil
bkrantz
I am still thinking about PCV venting, as well as ECU location. A weatherproof box in the engine compartment could be a solution.
bkrantz
More partial tasks today, starting with CV joints and half-shafts.

Step 1 joins the new locating pins in the new type 1 CVs from PMB, modified for the pins and the paper gasket on the flange side..
bkrantz
Easy job on the press.
bkrantz
All four with new pins.
bkrantz
I then explored the options for spacers, washers, and retaining clips. This would be the stock set-up.
bkrantz
New conical washer on the shaft, and some grease on the splines.
bkrantz
I pressed the CV onto the shaft, and then used split ring pilers on the stock type circlip.
bkrantz
But the CV center partially blocks the groove for the clip. I tried using my press to squeeze the conical washer down but that did not work.
bkrantz
The CV kits also include a thinner snap ring.
bkrantz
That fits nicely, but could be weaker.
bkrantz
I pressed the CV off the shaft.
bkrantz
bkrantz
bkrantz
And then I dug out the conical washers from the original CVs. These were already a bit flatter than the new ones, and I encouraged them to be even flatter.
bkrantz
Comparison of the flattened washer (top) and the high-relief new washer (bottom). My measurements are close to fitting with the thicker circlip.
bkrantz
I then took a look at the new boot and flange. These are also essentially type 1, with 6 bolt holes.
bkrantz
But what I don't like is the sloppy fit. The OD of the outer part of the CV is 90 mm, but the ID of the flange is about 94 mm.
bkrantz
I thought about a stock paper gasket on the inside of the flange, but this would prevent metal-to metal contact of the boot flange and leave some compressibility in the stack.

I ordered some 90/94 mm O-rings to try another way.
bkrantz
Then I got out the trans mounts. More re-plated stuff and new rubber mounts.
bkrantz
I also took the chance to set up the muffler and bracket on the rear of the trans. (And the trans mount bolts are upside down for now.)
bkrantz
This was also a chance to double-check the O2 sensor bung location. It still looks good, since I am not using the stock muffler hanger. But for good sensor clearance the bung needs to be horizontal.
bkrantz
Looks good, so off to the welder.
bkrantz
Final bit for today: bolt on the trans mounts, with the bolts correct (inserted from below).
bkrantz
I got distracted by a few other things today, including shoveling snow.

But I think I have decided where and how to mount the ECU and relay box.
bkrantz
The ECU will mount to a plate attached to the trunk wall, and the relay box will piggy-back on top of the ECU. There is enough room to attach serial cables to the right side of the ECU, and the big cable clears the jack.

I also mocked up the position of the O2 signal processor, and the tach signal adapter.

I plan a 1 inch hole for cables to pass into the engine compartment just to the right of the tach adapter.
bkrantz
With my remaining time today, I worked out the connections between all the components. I think I finally have it all sorted.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 15 2021, 08:24 PM) *

The ECU will mount to a plate attached to the trunk wall, and the relay box will piggy-back on top of the ECU. There is enough room to attach serial cables to the right side of the ECU, and the big cable clears the jack.

I also mocked up the position of the O2 signal processor, and the tach signal adapter.

I plan a 1 inch hole for cables to pass into the engine compartment just to the right of the tach adapter.

I really like your mounting solution it looks very clean and organized...
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Dec 16 2021, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 15 2021, 08:24 PM) *

I really like your mounting solution it looks very clean and organized...

Thanks--I still like it today, but I will wait to make it permanent until after I get all the wiring done.
bkrantz
More details while I am waiting for parts to finish the engine-trans mating.

I got out the pieces for the shift rod, including new bushings and conical screws.
bkrantz
New bushings pressed into the coupling.
bkrantz
Coupling on the rear rod (and yes, the screw side will face down).
bkrantz
With the rubber boot, ready to install.
bkrantz
A couple of problems I did not notice with the front rod: I installed it "sideways", and did not notice that the powder coating got onto the machined end that inserts snugly into the coupling.
bkrantz
A bit of scraping and sanding, and the rod fits into the coupling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.