Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
jamepro
Congrats Bob. I appreciate you sharing your journey in this rebuild. I have followed from pretty early on (as I am 6 months into my rebuild, fully stripped, on Roti, and beginning floor pan welding this week). Your documentation of your ups and downs, make for a wonderful reference. Wishing you the best on the remainder of your build, all of us can't wait for that first drive this spring and the photos to follow.

James
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. Sharing has helped me keep going, and feedback and encouragement helps.
bkrantz
Eventually, it will need a battery. Based on the recommendation of @raynekat , I got an XSPower D4700 which should bolt in and use the stock bracket.
bkrantz
I also got a Ctek battery maintainer, since I expect the car will not go out every day. sunglasses.gif
bkrantz
I set up the battery to charge.
bkrantz
With the engine and trans in, its time to start connecting everything. I started with the half-shafts.
bkrantz
Left side, with a paper gasket.
bkrantz
To press the CV into the output flange, I used some M8 bolts a bit longer than the stock CV bolts.
bkrantz
CVs bolted on, with new hardware including Schnorr washers.
bkrantz
And before I forget, I connected the ground strap.
bkrantz
Next, the shift control rod.
bkrantz
Attached at the trans end, with a new conical screw. I re-used the cover, one of the few original parts in OK shape.
bkrantz
And then the coupling at the front end, with another new screw.
bkrantz
Getting the rubber boot in place was a bit of a pain.
bkrantz
And a new retaining strap for the rear cover.
djway
Its official
Even the motor is too pretty to drive
A work of Art
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 21 2021, 06:48 PM) *

Engine in!!! It took more than 2 years to get here, but it feels good! smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif

Great job Bob.
A big accomplishment and milestone.
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Dec 22 2021, 09:01 PM) *

Its official
Even the motor is too pretty to drive
A work of Art

Don't say that--I will have a hard enough time driving it outdoors. Maybe somebody should build an indoor track.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 23 2021, 01:25 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 21 2021, 06:48 PM) *

Engine in!!! It took more than 2 years to get here, but it feels good! smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif

Great job Bob.
A big accomplishment and milestone.

Thanks, Doug. Now I gotta keep the momentum, and see if the engine will start.
930cabman
Perfect timing Bob, what a great Christmas present to self.
Puebloswatcop
BEEEEAUTIFUL Bob, Merry Christmas.
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. And thanks again to my son, who came to visit and is willing to help. He has dreams of restoring a 356 and/or MG B. Could be next.
bkrantz
Latest checklist to get through before a first attempt to start.
bkrantz
Clutch cable (temporary until I get a retaining clip).
bkrantz
Here's my new routing for the accelerator cable, so it comes up near engine-center.
bkrantz
And here's my mods of the cable end: I trimmed about an inch from the nylon center sheath, and about 3/4 inch from the rigid end so it does not project from the pulley.
bkrantz
And here's the cable connected to the pulley, with good clearance. That right rear corner of the engine compartment is getting busy. Note the bundles of cables in vinyl sheaths in the body clip on the left.
bkrantz
Other stuff to connect: the stock alternator cable and my modified 12-pin cable.
bkrantz
I also connected the gas tank evaporation system hoses. I think I got the right flow direction (out of the charcoal canister).
bkrantz
The line that goes to the front connects to the port on the sheet metal, to provide "high" pressure air. I will route the other line to the left side air filter.
bkrantz
With all the fuel lines connected, it was time to test the system for leaks. And that means putting some gas in the tank (about 2.5 gallons).
bkrantz
And it also means its time to install the new battery. It fits just right.
bkrantz
To run the pump, I grounded pin #III on the factory relay board, with the stock fuel pump relay in place. When I power the pump from the new EFI relay box, the stock relay comes out.

I cycled the pump enough, with about 20 seconds per cycle, until I heard the pitch of the pump change, and then heard fuel running through the engine lines. But I found leaks at all 4 fittings that screw into the injector rails. sad.gif
bkrantz
I pulled the connectors and it looks like I did not get a good seal at the threads. Could be that I did not coat both the male and female threads, and maybe I used an off-brand aviation type 3 sealer.
bkrantz
So, out into the world but only to NAPA. I got a hardening sealer (name brand). And followed the procedure more carefully, including wrenching harder when I installed the fittings. Fingers crossed.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, my son was in charge of wires. He got all the bundles through the new holes (now 2) into the trunk, and sorted out.
bkrantz
We then decided to connect things "temporarily" before doing any final mounting of components and routing wires. Here's the first two leads attached to the new relay box, plus leads into the tach signal convertor (small black box).
bkrantz
And, one after another, we got the leads into the right slot or connected to each other. The only wires not connected are positive and negative direct to the battery, and the O2 sensor.

Note the small hose coming over the rear engine wall--that's the temporary routing of the intake vacuum line that goes to the ECU.
bkrantz
Closer view. Eventually, I just NEED to make this look tidy.
bkrantz
We ran out of time, but to get ready for completing things I got the new SS heat exchangers out of "storage", AKA the guest rom closet. The only parts left there are the windshield trim pieces.
bkrantz
Last thing before xmas break: I grabbed 4 copper exhaust gaskets and did the annealing thing, heating them up to dull red and letting them cool in air.

Merry Christmas to all you guys!
bkrantz
Another minor detour: I will replace the PCV valve with an open line, first to a catch tank, and then to one air filter. I chose one of many tanks on Amazon. This one is all machined aluminum. It has an optional filtered air vent and other stuff.
bkrantz
Here's the inside of the lid, with a baffle and dip stick.
bkrantz
Some steel wool adds surface area for oil vapor to condense on.
bkrantz
It also has a choice of hose fitting sizes, with O-rings to seal against the tank lid.
bkrantz
Tank ready to install, and a quick bracket. The tiny piece is a spacer for the recessed mounting point on the lid.
bkrantz
I mounted the tank to the battery tray edge, since I will not be using the stock FI brain.
bkrantz
While the battery was out, I added some 3/16 inch rubber strips, since the rear edge of the battery was a bit low relative to the retaining edge.
bkrantz
Battery back in place, and now held down tight.
bkrantz
16 gauge aluminum plate, based on the temporary cardboard version.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.