Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
bkrantz
Another day without 914 progress. My excuse is that I played tire shop today, and swapped out snow tires for summer or off road rubber on my 991, Benz wagon, and Suburban.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 7 2020, 06:57 PM) *

Another day without 914 progress. My excuse is that I played tire shop today, and swapped out snow tires for summer or off road rubber on my 991, Benz wagon, and Suburban.

Well Done!

My goal is too wake the cars up today - uncover - start them up - get them in the sunshine and fill them with fresh gas!

bkrantz
I had a couple of hours today for 914 work. That was enough to finish up the left trunk corner.

Here is the gusset/trunk lid bumper stop in place.
bkrantz
After welding and grinding. I have to fill some gaps and build up missing metal.
bkrantz
And a quick check with the tail light in place.
gms
The car is coming along nice!
frostyf
Just wanted to say, I'm stuck in due to COVID and was browsing through the world (as a favourite past-time) and have just gone through your thread from start to finish. Its really inspiring to see your approach and welding skills - thank you for the detailed photos. Might make me consider approaching some of the welding my 73 is going to need before too long. Great work and can't wait to see the rest!

bkrantz
Thanks, guys. I always appreciate the encouragement.
Bmw635
Need to find a house with a shop like yours. Life would have been easier.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 7 2020, 09:57 PM) *

Great Job. If only more people would run the appropriate tire for the season. Don't get me wrong I've run all season tires too but the fact is all season tire = stromberg.gif They are just a compromise at everything.

And on a serarate note, the car is coming along nicely! aktion035.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 11 2020, 06:10 AM) *

Great Job. If only more people would run the appropriate tire for the season. Don't get me wrong I've run all season tires too but the fact is all season tire = stromberg.gif They are just a compromise at everything.

Wait... what? All-season tires are my go-to SUMMER tire. No way would I run a true summer tire around here. Here it is Easter weekend and I'm getting ready to go outside to hook up the snow plow. Expecting up to 9 inches over the weekend and we already have a good start on it.

Love the progress on the build. You've done a couple years of work here since what... October? Amazing. pray.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 11 2020, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 11 2020, 06:10 AM) *

Wait... what? All-season tires are my go-to SUMMER tire. No way would I run a true summer tire around here. Here it is Easter weekend and I'm getting ready to go outside to hook up the snow plow. Expecting up to 9 inches over the weekend and we already have a good start on it.

Love the progress on the build. You've done a couple years of work here since what... October? Amazing. pray.gif

@bbrock

In your locale, you should probably just have two cars. One with summer tires to be used Jul-Sep, and one with winter tires for the rest of the year. Easier than swapping tires. av-943.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 11 2020, 07:10 AM) *

And on a serarate note, the car is coming along nicely! aktion035.gif

I was semi-dedicated to running real snow tires until I lived in Alaska, and then I became a true believer. Now my challenge is the variable seasons around SW Colorado, depending on elevation and which way I head. This time of year, it can feel like summer down low, but the high passes still get snow.
bkrantz
Today, I started on the right trunk corner, with bigger challenges than the left side. I have the same crude welding and gaps at the upper edge junction.
bkrantz
But a bigger issue is where the inner and outer fender panels meet around the tail light opening. The edges are pretty chewed up.
bkrantz
View from the inside.
bkrantz
My plan is to start with a patch strip around the opening on the inside. This should give me something to work with.
bkrantz
Check fit with tail light.
tygaboy
I feel for you, brother! I did a similar repair in that area. A bit of contorting to get in there.
Just keep knocking it out - you're doing great! aktion035.gif
bkrantz
Thanks. My mantra when things get tough is to slow down. And keep going.
bkrantz
Got back at it today, with the car still sideways.

I started by welding in the top edge, that has a flange with variable angle.
bkrantz
The lower piece is flatter, with some holes for plug welds.
bkrantz
And welded in place (inside).
bkrantz
With the car rotated back to horizontal (love the rotisserie!), here's the view from the outside. Now I have something solid to work with.
bkrantz
After welding the ragged edges and building up metal where missing, and then grinding, I got it at least 80%. Still needs some touch-up, but better than I hoped.
bkrantz
Test fit with the tail light. Sits straight.
bkrantz
View from inside.
bkrantz
Got the right side done today. First some touch-up welding around the tail light opening.
bkrantz
Ground down and god enough (for now).
bkrantz
On to the top. Here's the corner gusset in place.
bkrantz
And after a bunch of welding and grinding, and more welding and grinding.
bkrantz
With the trunk corners done, I am on to the list of remaining small tasks.
bkrantz
Headlight box drain tube.
bkrantz
Bottom side of engine lid hinge mounts.
bkrantz
Next up, the muffler shield.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 14 2020, 06:53 PM) *

Next up, the muffler shield.

Bob....mine is removable.
Plus I had it ceramic coated to keep the heat out of the rear trunk.
Unsure if that worked or not, but the theory was sound. wink.gif

I'll have to see if I have pics from my build.
But just think....screws to hold the shield to the standoffs.
bkrantz
Thanks, Doug. I remember that from your build, and it has me thinking.
bkrantz
No real work today, but I did look over the body shell again, and found a few more things for the list.
bkrantz
I got started on the muffler shield. I want this to be bolt on, but no holes in the trunk floor. I removed the 6 original legs and fabricated 2 brackets with bolts welded in as studs.
bkrantz
Here's the shield with the new brackets bolted on for placement on the trunk floor.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 16 2020, 08:43 PM) *

Here's the shield with the new brackets bolted on for placement on the trunk floor.

I really like this idea and glad you made the extra effort to do it this way.
bkrantz
Thanks, me too. The shield sits in the stock location +/- 1/4 inch. And it seems plenty rigid.
bkrantz
Here is one of the new brackets welded in place.
bkrantz
Both brackets.
bkrantz
And the shield bolted on. Done with this and crossed off the list.
Bmw635
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 17 2020, 09:21 PM) *

Both brackets.

Are you putting seam sealer in the pan seams?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 17 2020, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 16 2020, 08:43 PM) *

I really like this idea and glad you made the extra effort to do it this way.

agree.gif I've been contemplating best way to do as well. I've been running without it for the last few weeks, but it probably needs to go back on. I like this approach.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Bmw635 @ Apr 17 2020, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 17 2020, 09:21 PM) *

Both brackets.

Are you putting seam sealer in the pan seams?

That is part of my plan, both brush-on and spray-on.
bkrantz
I decided to weld the U-holes in the passenger floor. I would rather have the simplicity than the original details.
bkrantz
And now onto the channel for the weatherstrip around the frunk opening. First, identifying all the rusted segments. These include the front edge (pretty much all on the inner side):
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.