Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
bkrantz
Extra-strong 3M adhesive tape.
bkrantz
Mounting plate in place.
bkrantz
Just a bit more progress. When I get down with these lists (plus the engine and trunk lids), the car will be essentially done.
Maltese Falcon
Superb restoration and some modern efi/mgmt upgrading , should be a Fun Ride !
bkrantz
Thanks--still having fun!
bkrantz
Getting ready for fuel system leak test #2. I added a T-fitting (temporary).
bkrantz
The T allows me to connect a pressure gauge.
bkrantz
I also confirmed that the lead from the new relay box can power the fuel pump, and I cycled the pump 2 or 3 times.

Good news: the fittings I re-sealed on the injector rails did not leak.

Bad news: I found a leak on the new pressure regulator.
bkrantz
My bad. When I first installed the regulator, I did not seal the small plugs for auxiliary ports.
bkrantz
So I used the same hard-setting sealant, re-installed the regulator, and put the fuel system back together.
bkrantz
So, with (almost) all the hardware in place, and all the wires connected, its time for the next step.
bkrantz
We got my Mac laptop connected, after a few minor bugs. The other laptop belongs to my IT wizard son. We started going through the initial set up and calibrations.
bkrantz
Here we are, running MegaLog Viewer, and checking sensors and settings.
djway
Cant wait for the initial fire up.
BUT
What am I going to read every night for my bedtime story when you finish???
bkrantz
To set up the O2 system we needed a program that seems to be available only on Windows, so I got out my old Dell.
bkrantz
Next, the first oil fill, with straight 30 weight, plus a bottle of Lucas break-in additive, mostly for the boost in zinc.
bkrantz
I pulled the plugs I had installed while the engine was out. My first reminder of some of the fun things about wrenching on a 914 engine.
bkrantz
A few more things before start-up. I got out my annealed exhaust gaskets, and sprayed them with copper gasket stuff.
bkrantz
This is sticky enough to hold the gasket rings in the exhaust ports.
bkrantz
I also got new copper-coated, locking flange nuts.
bkrantz
Heat exchangers in place. The rear ends are sitting on a prop for now.
raynekat
Yes, we are definitely having fun now....watching you of course.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(djway @ Dec 28 2021, 08:48 PM) *

Cant wait for the initial fire up.
BUT
What am I going to read every night for my bedtime story when you finish???

I'm with DJ, This is how I start my day...every day, reading your post, It is so inspiring.....How will we make our days pleasant once you are done? beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
You're getting so close. Can't wait to see this one back on the road!
bkrantz
Well, you guys could buy me another 914, a bunch of parts, and see what happens. smash.gif
bkrantz
I installed the Macfarland muffler, along with the gaskets and hardware that Ben sent.
bkrantz
View of the center bracket from underneath. It mounts to the same studs on the transaxle tail, and has 2 ledges for the circular clamps.
bkrantz
Tail pipe clearance. It might be a little close to the rear valance cut-out.
bkrantz
O2 sensor, with some anti-seize.
bkrantz
Sensor installed in the muffler. The position and clearance look good. But that is just as much luck as skill.
bkrantz
We made a quick run to NAPA for a new timing light, since my 30+ year old Sears light gave out. This one seems to do just about everything.

It was enough to confirm, and then tweak, the Hall sensor timing.
bkrantz
My first attempt to send the exhaust mostly out of the garage. Did I mention that the temp outside is below freezing?
bkrantz
So, time to re-install the spark plugs, connect the wires, including the lead for the fuel pump. I turned the ignition on, so the pump could pressurize the system--and no obvious leaks. I then cranked the starter a bit, and got some oil pressure (at least the dash light went out). And then, I cranked it for real...
bkrantz
It runs!!!

It actually fired right up, on the first attempt. It sure sounds loud in the garage!

And I was able to do this on the last afternoon of my son's visit, so he gets more credit.

With breaking in the cam in mind, we revved it up to around 2000 rpm. But after around 7 of the target 20 minutes the engine speed got over 3000 rpm--with no foot on the pedal, and the throttle plates essentially closed. So we shut it down, and I need to check for vacuum leaks.

But still a happy day!
nivekdodge
Excellent!!!! what do I do now?
raynekat
A beautiful day as they say.....

drunk.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif santa_smiley.gif

Well done.
It will be interesting to see what the source of your vacuum leak is.
Hard to imagine what Dr. Bob could have missed along the way?
Hmmmmm
stirthepot.gif
Krieger
Congratulations! That gotta feel really good!
kroelofsen
Impressive work man!
930cabman
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Enjoy this baby in good health Bob

Quite a story
Van914
Congrats!
Cairo94507
Outstanding! What a way to end 2021. I look forward to a video clip of the engine running. Your car is just stunning and I would not be at all surprised if you were to hear from members who wanted you to restore their cars. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations Bob. What a great reward for all of your hard work. I'm sure you will resolve the vacuum issue and be driving it very soon.....
brant
congrats...
that is awesome
great work
iankarr
Bob! This is so awesome. I'm thrilled for you. Can't wait to see how you dial everything in. Please don't forget to have someone shoot video of your permagrin on that first drive!
bkrantz
Thanks, everyone. It feels like a good reward for effort so far. Still lots to do!
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 30 2021, 06:30 AM) *

Outstanding! What a way to end 2021. I look forward to a video clip of the engine running. Your car is just stunning and I would not be at all surprised if you were to hear from members who wanted you to restore their cars. beerchug.gif

I will try to remember to get video (and audio!) next time.

The next restoration slots are already reserved--both my son and I have some candidates in mind.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 29 2021, 08:17 PM) *

A beautiful day as they say.....

drunk.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif santa_smiley.gif

Well done.
It will be interesting to see what the source of your vacuum leak is.
Hard to imagine what Dr. Bob could have missed along the way?
Hmmmmm
stirthepot.gif

Thanks, Doug.

I can imagine any number of things; time to start looking tomorrow.
djway
Thinking about your increased idle, doesn't look like many places that you could have a vacuum leak.
Your case vent came to mind but not sure how this FI system would be affected.
Did you have your fancy linkage connected? Did you check airflow for each intake. My first instinct would be to check flow first to make sure all is flowing equally.
Good Luck
gereed75
Caution on the 2000 rpm 20 minute cam break in. Without airflow the engine temp may get too high. I glazed the cylinders due to over temp when I did it. I call the result engine rebuild number two!

No expert but I suggest doing it in 5 - 10 minute segments

Oh and big congrats on an amazing resto - incredible detail!
930cabman
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 31 2021, 10:04 AM) *

Caution on the 2000 rpm 20 minute cam break in. Without airflow the engine temp may get too high. I glazed the cylinders due to over temp when I did it. I call the result engine rebuild number two!

No expert but I suggest doing it in 5 - 10 minute segments

Oh and big congrats on an amazing resto - incredible detail!

No intentions to hijack, but how was there no airflow? would a cyl head temp gauge helped?

Waiting for an audio Bob, great project and looking forward to .... for the next restoration?

Happy New Year to all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.