Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 31 2021, 08:04 AM) *

Caution on the 2000 rpm 20 minute cam break in. Without airflow the engine temp may get too high. I glazed the cylinders due to over temp when I did it. I call the result engine rebuild number two!

No expert but I suggest doing it in 5 - 10 minute segments

Oh and big congrats on an amazing resto - incredible detail!

Thanks for the tip. According to the Tuner Studio dashboard, the head temp got up to 190F. I will keep my eye on this.
bkrantz
I had a bit of garage time today. First, I checked the fuel line pressure. It shows 8 psi after 48 hours, so I take that as a good sign of integrity.
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Dec 30 2021, 11:08 PM) *

Thinking about your increased idle, doesn't look like many places that you could have a vacuum leak.
Your case vent came to mind but not sure how this FI system would be affected.
Did you have your fancy linkage connected? Did you check airflow for each intake. My first instinct would be to check flow first to make sure all is flowing equally.
Good Luck

I agree--not many places for leaks:
mating surfaces of intakes and cylinder heads (installed with gaskets and sealant)
mating surfaces of throttle bodies and intakes (also installed with gaskets and sealant)
throttle body vacuum ports or lines

I started by getting a wrench on the nuts for the intakes, and tightened them just a bit more.

Then I did the same for the nuts holding on the throttle bodies.

I checked the new vacuum lines, and all connections (throttle body ports to a T, T to a Y, Y to the fuel pressure regulator and to the ECU) look tight.
bkrantz
I then backed off the throttle stop screws pretty much all the way. I had them screwed in enough so the throttle plates were visibly open.
bkrantz
Then I went underneath and tightened up the exhaust port nuts.
bkrantz
While I was underneath, I got out the clutch cable retainer clip that arrived yesterday.
bkrantz
Clip installed.
bkrantz
Last, I rebuilt my exhaust pipe-line, with more solid aluminum sections. The previous version had plastic foil after the first 8 ft, and was starting to melt through.

Too late today for another start-up, maybe next year.
Puebloswatcop
Awww, gee Bob we need to wait for whole new year.....
nivekdodge
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 31 2021, 09:19 PM) *

Last, I rebuilt my exhaust pipe-line, with more solid aluminum sections. The previous version had plastic foil after the first 8 ft, and was starting to melt through.

Too late today for another start-up, maybe next year.

OK it's next year

bkrantz
OK, OK. You guys are impatient.

Just to tease you a bit, before I tried starting I got out my old vacuum gauge. This is another Sears/Craftsman auto tool. Most of these date from my early days of playing mechanic, in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
bkrantz
I T-ed this into the vacuum line to the Megasquirt ECU.

OK, now we are ready to try starting again.
bkrantz
Here we go!

Again, the engine fired up on the first twist of the key.

Running at 2000-3000 RPM, from inside the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuYfm348BrU

Still running at 2000-3000 RPM, from the back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYFaRw3wTM

And after the total of 20 minutes to break in the cam and followers, it drops to a fast idle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5J1LzDy-Ig

Everything seems to be generally as expected. The AFR looks good at 2500, and a bit rich at idle.
bkrantz
As for the vacuum leak, I am now not sure I had one. Perhaps tightening the intake manifold nuts closed a small leak. But I think I had the throttle stop screws in too far. Without load, it takes very little throttle opening to run at 2500 RPM.
bkrantz
What else did I learn today? The cylinder head temp peaked at just under 200F after 15 minutes, with the air temp in the garage (with the doors open) about 35F.
bkrantz
But the stock oil temp gauge did not move.
bkrantz
At least the voltmeter showed some volts.
bkrantz
And the vacuum gauge showed some vacuum. (and very steady)
bkrantz
And while the engine was hot, I drained the first batch of oil. I will change the filter and refill with SAE 30 and another dose of Lucas break-in additive.
Montreal914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 1 2022, 07:05 PM) *

Here we go!

And after the total of 20 minutes to break in the cam and followers, it drops to a fast idle:

Everything seems to be generally as expected. The AFR looks good at 2500, and a bit rich at idle.

Very exciting times! smile.gif

Youtube videos are private though... sad.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 1 2022, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 1 2022, 07:05 PM) *

Here we go!

Very exciting times! smile.gif

Youtube videos are private though... sad.gif

Should be public now.
djway
beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
Aaawwwsome!!! It has been a long journey, but worth the entire trip. Thanks for sharing everything with us Bob. I learned allot along the way, but most of all the inspiration was great. Congratulations. beerchug.gif
Morph914
Great to see it running! And to have that moment with your son… priceless! beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Jan 2 2022, 06:12 PM) *

Great to see it running! And to have that moment with your son… priceless! beerchug.gif

Thanks. And I really appreciate my son's interest in car stuff--and his willingness to help. Especially since he has some real skills.
bkrantz
I finally got the correct right-angle serial plug adapter. It took 3 tries, since the variations are male/female and "left"/"right". So now I can mount the Megasquirt ECU for real.
bkrantz
Here's why I wanted the adapter. The serial connector for the laptop lead sticks out, and keeps the ECU box too far to the left.
bkrantz
With the adapter, the box can move an inch to the right, and I can still attach the cable.
bkrantz
I got out my trusty 3M adhesive tape, and some spacers for the main panel since I wanted to increase the contact area.
bkrantz
So I have the ECU and relay boxes mounted where I want them, at least for now. That means its time to start getting all the cables and wires tidy.
bkrantz
And that means I have to commit to the layout of components in the engine compartment. I have been less than happy with the access to the rear of the right throttle body. The space there is tight enough, and that's where I have all the fuel lines and EFI cables.

So I decided to swap the left and right throttle bodies, so that the accelerator cable pulleys will be on the front side.
bkrantz
So I don't have to undo the fuel lines, and swap the angle fittings in the injector rails, I decided to swap the throttle bodies but leave the rails in place. This turned out to be a bit fiddly.
bkrantz
So I got both rails detached, along with other connections, swapped the throttle bodies, and got the rails re-installed. But now dinner calls.
bkrantz
Back on task, getting the swap of the throttle bodies done.
bkrantz
Now the right rear corner is not so crowded.
bkrantz
But now I have to also switch the throttle position sensor cable (3 prong connector) to the left side, and that will take about 18" more length.
bkrantz
To do that, I have to pull the right bundle back into the engine compartment, and then pull more of the TPS cable out from the end of the bundle. And before that, I undid all the temporary wire connections at the relay box and elsewhere.
bkrantz
Once all the lengths were adjusted I snaked the bundle back through the hole and grommet. I will trim back the cable covers and route all the individual wires later.
bkrantz
Now for the throttle cable. The modified sheet metal hole position still works well.
bkrantz
With the throttle stops, adjusters, and pulleys on the front side, I have much better access. Should have done it this way to start.
bkrantz
While I had the chance, I did the rough adjustment to set and sync the left and right throttles. I used a .003" feeler gauge.
bkrantz
And set the throttle plate gap on both sides. Once the engine is running again, I will balance the airflow.
bkrantz
With the lower air filter plates and stacks back on, I am caught up to where I started. The engine compartment looks better--and easier.
bkrantz
Aerial view.
raynekat
So "sano" there Bob. Looks like an operating theater at the local hospital. Ha
Super nice!
Cairo94507
I love this entire build. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 3 2022, 08:17 PM) *

So "sano" there Bob. Looks like an operating theater at the local hospital. Ha
Super nice!

Hmm, I hope your local hospital OR looks better than this.
bkrantz
This could be the last white board list. At least when I get all these tasks done the car should be ready for the road.
bkrantz
An easy job: new oil filter.
bkrantz
Filter installed, plus a new ring on the drain plug.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.