Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Here's the filter and some oil from the initial startup. I might cut open the filter and check for crud.
bkrantz
Time for some more holes! This hole in the right engine shelf is for the O2 sensor cable. I am trying to follow the logic of where cables and hoses go, along with disconnects, so that the engine can drop in the future with minimal fuss.
bkrantz
And this hole is for the intake vacuum line.
bkrantz
And of course I need to paint the new raw edges.
bkrantz
Holes painted and time for grommets.
bkrantz
Hole ready for the vacuum tube.
bkrantz
Vacuum line connected.
bkrantz
O2 sensor cable fed from below.
bkrantz
Have I mentioned that my speed cable is about 1.5 inches too short? I need to create more slack from the cable run under the dashboard.
bkrantz
Just about ready to start trimming cable lengths and making permanent connections.
bkrantz
Before I forget, I refilled the crankcase. More break-in oil, SAE 30.
bkrantz
Plus more zinc additive.
bkrantz
More progress on the last checklist.
bkrantz
Next task: the speedometer cable. When I installed the cable in the interior, I did not leave enough projecting from the fire wall to reach the angle drive on the transaxle. Looking under the dash, I ran the cable straight forward from the gauge.
bkrantz
Once I removed the pedal board and pulled the carpet partly off the front firewall, I changed the route of the cable and fed excess into the tunnel.
bkrantz
Now, another problem. The cable retaining nut does not want to screw straight onto the angle drive.
bkrantz
I spent almost an hour on this. First I chased the threads, but no luck. Then I used my Dremel to chamfer the first threads in the cap and on the angle drive. I got it started straight, and it held for about two turns--yay! But as I screwed it tight, it cocked twisted again. Fudge!

I will probably hold just fine, but this will bother me and my OCD.
bkrantz
With the speedo cable attached, I bundled it with the O2 cable and the clutch cable, and used some plastic cable cover. I want to get some high-temp wrap over this.
bkrantz
Inside buttoned-up.
bkrantz
Another item off the last(?) list.
Montreal914
Beautiful work and meticulous installation smilie_pokal.gif

What brand of speedometer cable? sad.gif
Morph914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 6 2022, 10:38 PM) *

I spent almost an hour on this. First I chased the threads, but no luck. Then I used my Dremel to chamfer the first threads in the cap and on the angle drive. I got it started straight, and it held for about two turns--yay! But as I screwed it tight, it cocked twisted again. Fudge!

I had the same problem with mine, tried several times with no luck and the same issues as yours. headbang.gif Finally one day I crawled back under held my tongue a certain way, the planets aligned, the Speedo Gods had mercy and the damn thing went on correctly. piratenanner.gif I was so happy for this small issue to be behind me.
So don’t give up on it just yet.

Cheers,
John
ndfrigi
wow! been watching your build and give us encouragement and learned a lot from your detailed informations.
I just want to ask if the bolt/nut for tranny mount is better that the nut is on top or the usual from various 914 that the nut is at the bottom?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 6 2022, 09:38 PM) *

I am with you on this. I would be awake nights wracking my brain about why it is not going on straight.....
bkrantz
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 7 2022, 09:46 AM) *

wow! been watching your build and give us encouragement and learned a lot from your detailed informations.
I just want to ask if the bolt/nut for tranny mount is better that the nut is on top or the usual from various 914 that the nut is at the bottom?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I followed the geometry shown in the factory parts catalog. And with the nut on top, I can remove the bolt without removing the mount--not sure if this will be helpful in the future or not.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 7 2022, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 6 2022, 09:38 PM) *

I am with you on this. I would be awake nights wracking my brain about why it is not going on straight.....

Gee, thanks. Now I will never sleep. blink.gif
bkrantz
With a few more parts, I am ready to start the "final" wiring for the EFI system. Here the dual bus and cover I got from McMaster-Carr, and some small gauge ring terminals.
bkrantz
I decided on this layout, L to R: the tach signal adapter, the O2 sensor controller, and the double bus.
bkrantz
Now its just one wire at a time, after confirming which wire goes where. I am soldering the terminals on to avoid future problems.
bkrantz
And first connection on the ground bus.
bkrantz
I added some electrical tape along the exposed edge of the relay box, since the wires will hang over the edge.
bkrantz
That's enough for today, with the connections done for the O2 system and the coil.
bkrantz
Just a few more wires run today. The device on the left is the rpm signal converter, with the cover removed.
bkrantz
Tach signal converter all wired up.
bkrantz
So that's all the various boxes and components connected. Now for the cables from the engine sensors.
bkrantz
Whew. After a solid 5 hours, everything is connected. For each cable, I trimmed back the mesh cable cover, then covered the raw mesh end with heat-shrink, and trimmed and tinned each wire end before making the screw connection on the relay board.

Once I confirm that the engine runs again, I will tidy this up a bit.
bkrantz
And here's the waste from shortening the cables.
bkrantz
Another task crossed off.
bkrantz
One last wire had to be resolved, and the Dub Shop schematics did the trick. I am 99% confident I have every connection as Mario designed. (But when my son helped with temporary connections for the first engine start a couple of weeks ago, we had 2 wires from the Hall sensor reversed. Hmm)
bkrantz
With everything connections, I turned the key to Run--no flames or explosions. But since I changed the oil and filter, I want to get oil circulating again.
bkrantz
After about 10 spurts of running the starter motor (with the coil disconnected) the oil light went off. That makes me feel better that the engine is ready for start-up again.
bkrantz
Because of the mix-up with the Hall sensor wires, I want to go through the calibration again. Last time I had a hard time seeing the timing mark on the blower cage, so I added a paint dab to the notch. (Note to self: next time do this during engine assembly.)
bkrantz
I also added a mark on the flywheel, 180° opposite of the standard mark, with a shallow drill mark and then paint.
bkrantz
One more thing before starting the engine again: install the air filters (and stop worrying about something falling in the throttle body stacks).
bkrantz
Mounting studs.
bkrantz
Air filter.
bkrantz
And top cover. I still need to decorate that blank rectangle.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 10 2022, 09:04 PM) *

And top cover. I still need to decorate that blank rectangle.

I think you should put BA-914 on them....BA? Bad Ass
jesse7flying
Looking great! Would you mind showing a better shot of how you set up your throttle cable system? Thx
Jesse
bkrantz
Hi, Jesse. Here is a top view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.