Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
New hole in the front sheet metal for the accelerator cable.
bkrantz
Master pulley on the left.
bkrantz
Another view of the left side.
bkrantz
Slave pulley on the right.
bkrantz
Well, today was a kinda 3 steps backwards day. I checked everything and got my laptop connected.

The first problem was a funny reading from the throttle position sensor, initially showing 100% open when it was closed. I fooled around with the cable and plug, and found one wire pulling out of the plug connector. I fixed that, and it looked to read correctly.

I then tried to check the engine timing, but could not get the timing light to flash. I tried a number of setups with the light pickup without luck. Eventually I pulled plug #1 and found no spark. Argh.

About the same time, I saw some strange throttle position readings again. Now it looks like the position sensor is misbehaving. Argh again.
jesse7flying
Perfect on the pics. Much appreciated, thx
Jesse
iankarr
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 11 2022, 09:43 PM) *

Well, today was a kinda 3 steps backwards day. I checked everything and got my laptop connected.

The first problem was a funny reading from the throttle position sensor, initially showing 100% open when it was closed. I fooled around with the cable and plug, and found one wire pulling out of the plug connector. I fixed that, and it looked to read correctly.

I then tried to check the engine timing, but could not get the timing light to flash. I tried a number of setups with the light pickup without luck. Eventually I pulled plug #1 and found no spark. Argh.

About the same time, I saw some strange throttle position readings again. Now it looks like the position sensor is misbehaving. Argh again.

Solving the problems is half the fun. Enjoy the detective work. It'll be that much more satisfying when it's all sorted.
bkrantz
Still sorting out the EFI problems, and then I decided to work on something more tangible. I ordered a factory battery clamp since the only one I had is designed for an Optima batter.
bkrantz
But the vertical side of the clamp is very tall--too tall to get a good grip on the battery flange.
bkrantz
So I trimmed about 3mm from the lower edge, and then added this to the outside. (and repainted the clamp)
bkrantz
That extra thickness pushes the clamp closer to the battery, and makes for a better grip.
bkrantz
Now I am waiting for a replacement EFI part before I can continuing trouble-shooting.

Meanwhile, I did my first 914 valve adjustment (with the engine in the car) in almost 30 years. Fond(?) memories.
bkrantz
One more item done.
Puebloswatcop
Good Morning Bob, looks like your list is getting awefully short, If you need to lengthen it up again, I can always send you one of my 914s to fill your time and build your list back up....Everything is really looking awesome.
930cabman
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 14 2022, 09:56 AM) *

Good Morning Bob, looks like your list is getting awefully short, If you need to lengthen it up again, I can always send you one of my 914s to fill your time and build your list back up....Everything is really looking awesome.

Can I get in line to have you complete a few projects??

Great project and how are you planning to bleed your brakes? assistant, vacuum or pressure?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 14 2022, 07:56 AM) *

Thanks. The list might look short but I expect many weeks (or months) before I get close to done.
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 14 2022, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 14 2022, 09:56 AM) *

Can I get in line to have you complete a few projects??

Great project and how are you planning to bleed your brakes? assistant, vacuum or pressure?

I want to first try the gravity method recommended by PMB, and go from there.
bkrantz
I have most of the parts to hook up the heating system. The duct sections I took off the car are all powder-coated. And I have one NOS heat control valve, with another on the way.
bkrantz
I also have some new bits from 914Rubber, including the baffle valves. These need a bit of trimming at corners, and the pivot pins need to be shortened.
bkrantz
First section of duct (passenger side).
bkrantz
And the section section, up through the sheet metal, with a new ring gasket. Pretty easy so far.
bkrantz
The the fun started, with the short section that connect the heat exchanger outlet with the control box. These did not want to mate at all, and look like different sizes.
bkrantz
The duct section is round.
bkrantz
But the outlet on the SS heat exchangers is not!
bkrantz
Since the ducts are loose, I tried reforming the shape to match the outlet. The was closer, but still too big.
bkrantz
Next, I had a pair of cuts to help shrink the end of the duct. Still not enough.
bkrantz
Two more pairs of cuts finally did the trick, and I was able to insert the duct into the outlet.
bkrantz
The upper hole on the outlet also needed some adjustment.
bkrantz
Finally! Duct in place, with bolts top and bottom.
bkrantz
Last bit today. I got the right side control box installed, and the control cable connected. And I confirmed that the lever inside the car opens and closes the box flapper valve.
bkrantz
Now the left side. First I modified the horizontal duct so it will insert into the exchanger outlet.
bkrantz
Flap valve modified by rounding the lower corners.
bkrantz
Ducts from the blower housing to the exchanger, and the vertical tube up through the sheet metal.
bkrantz
Upper hole elongated, just like the right side.
bkrantz
Horizontal duct forced into place. Now I just need the left side control box.
bkrantz
Yesterday, the postman delivered another NOS heat control box.
bkrantz
In case I was not sure which side?
bkrantz
So that's where I put it. Upside down?
bkrantz
I need a few more little parts to finish the heat system, so I played with some more stuff that got delivered recently.

Since I need to replace the PCV valve with an open fitting, I tried to find something that fits the holes (outer and inner) in the stock oil breather. It took about 4 tries, but I finally got a fitting (1.2 inch barb and 14x1.5 threads) in aluminum from Racetronix, and a 14x1.5 brass nut from Belmetric.
bkrantz
It fits just right, with a dab of aviation sealant.
bkrantz
Breather re-installed and the vent hoses all connected for real. We will see if this vent scheme works once the car is on the road.
bkrantz
With a bit more time to play, I got down the rear valance. It still looks a bit lumpy but I figure it will not be too visible, and I would rather have the durability of powder coating--which means no filler (and means my limited metal forming skills can't be hidden).
bkrantz
If you recall from 2 years ago, I had to weld in a patch to repair a very home-made PO hole on the right side for his custom dual exhaust. This view is the inside--the outside is not perfect but better.
bkrantz
To install the valence I removed the bumper. No big deal, except...
bkrantz
On both license plate lights, the ground wire terminals were broken. Time to re-do these before the bumper can go back on.
bkrantz
I did get the valence mounted, with a little bit of persuasion since the curve of the restored rear panel does not quite match the valence.
bkrantz
Clearance to the tail pipe is a bit less than 1/4 inch. I want to see if I can enlarge this.
bkrantz
I replaced the ground wire terminals, and stripped back some of the heat-shrink tubing I installed last year so the wires can bend more easily. And then a quick check of the lights--they work!
bkrantz
With the bumper back on the rear end is complete.
bkrantz
I finally got my replacement for the throttle position sensor, from Summit Racing. This is a Ford sensor with a Delphi (GM) plug connector--apparently a relatively common custom EFI part. But the lead positions are not the same as what I had, so I switched them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.