Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
New sensor (on the right) ready to install and test--but dinner time.
bkrantz
Well, dinner turned into an extended absence. But I am back!

Lots of stuff delivered while I was gone, including a 3 ft length of 5 mm hex. Why?
bkrantz
This is a tool to finally repair my hydraulic press. The hex has to reach inside a 12 inch long spring in order to screw down the end retaining Allen bolt. Even the extra-long Allen wrench I have will not reach.
bkrantz
With the spring bolted to the bottom of the piston, and the piston inside the cylinder, the next trick is to pull the spring far enough to screw in the upper anchor. Definitely a three-handed job.
bkrantz
Somehow I got the second Allen bolt in with only two hands.
bkrantz
Piston and cylinder ready.
bkrantz
Nice to have the press working again--especially the auto return.
bkrantz
Back to working on the 914. A warm-up with dual outlet for the heater blower.
bkrantz
Then I moved the wire leads from the Hall sensor back to where they were in December, to match the one-page diagram of the lead connections (and confirmed by Mario).
bkrantz
Then it was time to install the replacement throttle position sensor.
bkrantz
It works! A quick calibration, and now I have consistent 0 to 100% opening.

I then tested the ignition spark with a spare plug, and now have a healthy spark with the engine cranking.

While on a roll I hooked up my timing light and tried to check the static timing, again with the engine cranking, but could not get a consistent light flash.
bkrantz
Just a few minutes to play 914 today. I did stop by a tire shop to have one tire removed, from the wheel that will be my spare. This rim has the worst curb rash.
bkrantz
The inside has many years of road crud.
bkrantz
After a quick clean, first with detergent and then Simple Green. Still some work to do.
bkrantz
Some special stuff.
bkrantz
Calendar installed easily--works great.
bkrantz
Andmore new stuff, mostly small parts.
bkrantz
Back under the car, with a new barrel clamp.
bkrantz
That goes on the left heat control box.
bkrantz
Then a length of high temp hose, cut down to fit.
bkrantz
That connects the control box and feed to the long duct on the left.
bkrantz
And another on the right. That completes all the heat system ducting, at least under the car.
bkrantz
Cross another task off the list!
bkrantz
Another detail: sealing boot for the clutch cable.
bkrantz
Boot installed.
bkrantz
While under the car, I was reminded that the speedo cable did not have a boot, so I got out some 3M rubber sealing tape.
bkrantz
Instant boot.
bkrantz
Another new boot: for the shift rod. The old one was essentially rigid.
bkrantz
To get that installed, I had to detach the rear shift rod at both ends. Hope this is worth it!
bkrantz
Time to start another task: filling and bleeding the brake system. I bought almost all components, including new stainless steel lines and rebuilt calipers from PMB. The system has been on the car complete for a year, but not filled.

I started with a simple plan, and tried gravity bleeding.
bkrantz
Here's the gravity bleed hose set up on the right rear caliper, with the free end of the hose higher than the reservoir.
bkrantz
I filled the reservoir, opened the caliper bleeder, and...nothing.

I gently pumped the brake pedal a few times and the level dropped a little bit, but then stayed the same.
bkrantz
So, I next got out the power bleeder, that has been part of my garage kit for about 30 years, with the Porsche reservoir adapter.
bkrantz
But the hose is showing its age. For today, I cut off the end with the split and re-attached the cap.
bkrantz
Then I could pump (just air) and pressurize the reservoir to about 25 psi.
bkrantz
Next problem: a puddle on the floor under the master cylinder.
bkrantz
At first I expected to see the supply lines from the reservoir leaking, but they were dry. The (main) leak was from the fitting where the front right line attaches to the banjo fitting. This was actually just finger tight--my bad.
bkrantz
So I tightened that loose fitting, pumped up some pressure, and found more leaks.

Now I was worried. I started tracing all the lines and connections, starting at the MC. None were "loose", but I was able to tighten all of them a bit more. When I installed all the lines I tightened them the way I would for "normal" steel brake lines. I think the SS lines need more pressure to seat fully.
bkrantz
That included the junction fitting inside the tunnel.
bkrantz
I was able to stop all obvious leaks except for where the line feeds into the right rear caliper. Even after what felt like too much torque it still weeped. So I removed the line.
bkrantz
A possible problem: the flare on the caliper end is a bit off-center and uneven (it looks worse than the photo shows). Time to step back.
bkrantz
Well, sitting overnight revealed a similar leak from the left rear caliper.
bkrantz
Just like the right side, the line going in to the caliper is leaking, despite a fair amount of tightening on the fitting.
bkrantz
I pulled the hard line off.
bkrantz
And just like on the right side, the flare seems off-center. (Sorry for the fuzzy photo)
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I was experimenting with cleaning the original Fuchs wheels. I got most of the ancient wheel weight adhesive off from the inside. And then I got out my new citrus cleaner from Chemical Guys.
bkrantz
About 30 minutes with the cleaner and a scotch-bite pad, and the inside is looking good--good enough at least for this wheel, which will be my spare.
bkrantz
The outside also cleaned up a bit, but still has the nasty bit of curb rash.
bkrantz
Back on the brake lines. According to some reliable sources, stainless steel lines are a bit harder, and might take more effort to get the flares to seat properly. They recommend a process of tightening and loosening a fitting, and repeating 5 or 6 times, before a final tightening.

So, starting at the master cylinder, I applied this technique at every junction.
bkrantz
Junction with the tunnel line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.