Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
And I took a quick look at the rear panel. More work to do.
BeatNavy
Ok, that helps fill in the gap, thank you! I've got a small version of one of those profile gauges, but nothing like that for car body work. The tool whore in me may need to acquire one of those.

Appreciate it beer.gif
bkrantz
Never enough tools!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C06BB...=UTF8&psc=1
bkrantz
First job today was to weld up the "extra" holes in the rear panel, and then give it another pass of metal work.
bkrantz
I then gave the other panels another smoothing pass. I might be getting these as good as I can. The photos might not show that the highs and lows differ by only about a mm or less.

Front left
bkrantz
Front right
bkrantz
Left cowl
bkrantz
Right cowl
bkrantz
And I made a first check of the right rear fender. More work to do here.
bkrantz
I took a break from panel work today. The first task was replacing a broken stud for the trunk lid torsion bar bracket on the right side. The PO repair was a hole drilled and tapped "nearby".
bkrantz
First step was to cut off the remains bit of stud, and then drill through the flange inside the long.
bkrantz
Then I tapped the new hole (M8 x 1.0).
bkrantz
Here's the new stud screwed in place.
bkrantz
And then tack-welded (along with the PO hole) and ground down to accept th bracket.
bkrantz
Next, I went to work on the trunk lid. As I previously reported, this replacement lid had a rust-through in the inner rib along the trailing edge. I had cut out the rusted section and cleared out some of the inner foam.
bkrantz
Today, I went after more of the foam. I managed to clear it from the side with the access hole and through the center latch area.
bkrantz
I broke out the bore scope to see the degree of rust and remaining foam.
bkrantz
Here's a shot from inside the space between the rib and the trunk lid skin. Looks like the worst rust is where I cut out the original spot. But still lots of foam to extract from the other side.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 7 2020, 07:31 PM) *

Here's a shot from inside the space between the rib and the trunk lid skin. Looks like the worst rust is where I cut out the original spot. But still lots of foam to extract from the other side.

Now that's something you don't see everyday!

The "money" shot.
Well done there Bob.
Kansas 914
I wonder if there is a chemical that would "eat" the foam and not damage the metal?
bbrock
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 8 2020, 08:32 AM) *

I wonder if there is a chemical that would "eat" the foam and not damage the metal?

Not fun to work with but toluene or xylene would probably do it. I'm no chemist but that stuff seems to like to eat foam in my limited experience.
BeatNavy
Is that the same foam used in the body above tail lights (and in sail panel)? I think @ClayPerrine recommends just spraying brake cleaner on it. He says that dissolves it pretty nicely. At least I think it was brake cleaner.
bkrantz
Not sure. The foam in the trunk lid rib is yellow, very rigid, and somewhat porous. What I dug out of one rear fender is white, slightly flexible, and rubbery.
bkrantz
In any case, I made a foam scooping and pulling tool out of a piece of 1/4 inch steel rod. Stiff enough to work but bendable to change the angle of the "head" inside the rib.
bkrantz
After a couple of hours:
bkrantz
I got 99% of the foam. And the rust looks minimal.
gereed75
Some brake cleaners may work to dissolve foam, but there are various formulations.

Generally acetone is effective for dissolving most plastics and foams. It is readily available at big box stores. Never really tried it on Porsche foam. Also very rough on paint. Use carefully.
Dion
I don’t know how I missed this thread, maybe the title threw me off.
Just read it to here. FANTASTIC WORK. I’ll be following now.
Awesome that your son is involved too. Look forward to more.
Cheers
bkrantz
Thanks, Dion. Doing the work, and the documentation, keeps me going.
bkrantz
Speaking of foam, has anyone replaced the foam in the trunk lid rib? With what?
bkrantz
More work on the trunk lid today. Here's the hole cleaned up.
bkrantz
The patch requires a double curve, one sharper and one constant radius. I got pretty close.
bkrantz
Fit in place.
bkrantz
Tack-welded in place. The thin metal around the edge of the hole behaved better than expected.
bkrantz
And all welded in place. Grinding tomorrow.
bkrantz
I also welded a small crack in the rib along the right side.
bkrantz
And I welded two holes in the middle of the trunk lid skin, probably from a luggage rack. I guess that was a thing at some time.
bkrantz
Got back to work on the trunk lid today. Grinding down the luggage rack holes I filled:
bkrantz
Grinding down the crack welding in the right side rib:
bkrantz
And grinding down the welding around the patch. I am pretty happy with this one.
bkrantz
I then set the trunk lid back on the car, propped in rough alignment. The next step is to straighten out all the dings, including the trailing edge. From 10 ft it looks pretty good, but...
bkrantz
The trailing edge has been bent inward. I suspect it got set down hard enough on that edge to roll it under a bit. From the right side to the center, I see a gradual drop of the edge.
bkrantz
On the left side, the bend is more abrupt. I need to invent a lever that can clamp onto the edge, and ease it upward.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I finished up the metal work on the right rear fender. The sanded spots in the guide coat make it look worse than it is. The highs and lows differ by only about 1 mm.
bkrantz
I worked more on the trunk lid today. First I made a tool to grab and pry the trailing edge. (some of the notch fell out during work--the clamp kept the 2x4 from splitting)
bkrantz
After some gentle prying, plus some more hammer work with a soft-face mallet, I got the edge close to straight, and equally distant from the rear panel along the arc.
bkrantz
Looks good by eye.
bkrantz
And even better from a few feet away.
raynekat
I'd say just slap some paint on that baby Bob. tongue.gif
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 11 2020, 10:16 PM) *

And even better from a few feet away.

Love this thread B. Such an inspiration to redo my rear end!

Also love how flat the rear decks of these look. No wheels and all... Like a spaceship or something
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.