Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
We got the car body onto the dolly today--a real milestone. With luck, it will go to the paint shop by the end of the week.
bkrantz
We also upgraded the wheels on the rotisserie. The paint shop will probably use it for stripping and for priming the underside. The original wheels might not survive rolling in and out of the shop.
bkrantz
Mounting the red wheels required cutting off the original plates and welding on new ones.
bkrantz
Bumper day! Mike let me try out candidates from his inventory.
bkrantz
Started on the rear, with the straightest bumper in the collection. First fit on the car, with my original top cap.
bkrantz
Left end.
bkrantz
Right end. The gap along the side fender recess looks big (but the cap is against the fender).
bkrantz
Overall the fit looks pretty good, just a bit high on the right side.
bkrantz
For the front, the straightest bumper had a small but distinct dent near the left end.
bkrantz
To mount the top cap, and have it aligned properly, I had to remove the dent. After some work with my press and hammers, I got it 90%--good enough for the fitting.
bkrantz
I also had to come up with a temporary fix for the modified dog bone, since the PO trimmed one by 2/3 to adjust for the crappy right fender repair.
bkrantz
Since I do not have a spare, I made a wood dog bone spacer.
bkrantz
Dig my temporary dog bone need to be bone-shaped? No, but why not?
bkrantz
Here is the bumper mounted, with the frunk lid propped in place.
bkrantz
The left end.
bkrantz
And the right (bad) side. Not too bad, but needs more work.
Kansas 914
I have a dog bone if you want it. I will set it out for you.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 22 2020, 06:40 AM) *

I have a dog bone if you want it. I will set it out for you.

Thanks, Mike--and thanks for the chance to look at your cars to compare bumper fit.
bkrantz
More bumper fitting today. In the rear, I elongated the holes a bit so the bumper sits lower. To get it to fit closer, I think I will need to shave some dog bones.

In the front, I redid the recess in the right fender for the top cap corner. Here is the way it was, with markings (hard to see).
bkrantz
And after a bit of hammer work, build-up MIG welding, and grinding.
bkrantz
With my son's help (and his willingness to lie on his back and weld upside down), we attached the support bracket for the center of the rear bumper cap.
bkrantz
From below.
bkrantz
We also redid part of the front panel seam, where we turned the PO lap joint into a butt seam. Welding was not solid, and multiple efforts did not improve things, so I cut a hole for a patch.
bkrantz
From the inside, after welding in new metal, and some rough grinding.
bkrantz
More bumper fitting, all on the front right fender, and mostly around the recess for the bumper cap end.

My ace assistant at work, in the second part of a welding and grinding cycle.
bkrantz
Although the recess looked good yesterday, grinding the shape made the welded metal too thin and made it crack. So today was weld-grind-repeat.

Here is the work in progress.
bkrantz
The final result, at least for today. The shapes and fit look good to me.
bkrantz
Overall top view.
bkrantz
I also started prep for transport to the paint shop. The plan is not final yet, but will require some tie-downs, preferably that do not touch the body and will work when I bring the car home with fresh paint.
bkrantz
For the front, the square tubing connects across the bolt holes for the torsion bar mounts.
bkrantz
Just enough clearance for a strap hook.
bkrantz
In the final countdown!
bkrantz
Gathering miscellaneous parts for the paint shop, I found out the car's name.
raynekat
"The cable guy".....nice.....git er done there Bob.
bkrantz
Got some bolts today, and mounted the tie-down brackets to the rear suspension points. I added some quick-links so the straps can tie off with reasonable angles.
bkrantz
The big job today was some targeted rust treatment. After testing both Corroseal and Ospho, I chose Corroseal. It did a better job at penetrating surface rust and leaving a more complete coating.

With my son's help, we started with the trunk lid. I poured about a cup of Corroseal between the inner skin and the rear internal rib. We then tilted the lid in different directions to coat the inside, and then penetrate the trailing edge. After pouring off the excess, we propped the lid upright to drain and dry.
bkrantz
We then did the same thing with the doors, pouring some Corroseal into the bottom interior and coating the internal seam.
bkrantz
Last, I injected Corroseal inside the jack point flanges, including the second drain hole I added.
bkrantz
That's pretty much it. Tomorrow we will work to prepare the car and dolly for transport. Good friends should arrive with a trailer Friday morning, and then off to the paint shop.
raynekat
Let's see what that Corroseal looks like?
Inquiring minds and all.....
bkrantz
Just for you, Doug. Not much access to see where I treated on the car.
bkrantz
Another rusty piece from a prior test. Equivalent amounts of Ospho on the left, and Corroseal on the right. I judged the Corroseal did a better job at soaking in and leaving a top film.
bkrantz
We wrapped up the loading prep today. First we tied the body to the dolly. In the rear I installed the engine cross brace support brackets, and used those.
bkrantz
In the front, I installed the suspension/steering cross member, and tied off to that.
bkrantz
We then moved the car over near the garage door. Ready to roll.
bkrantz
The doors and lids all loaded in my Suburban.
bkrantz
Today was moving day. Mike and Chuck (and Chuck's trailer) showed up around 9am. In about 30 minutes we had the car loaded and tied down. Car friends are awesome!
bkrantz
I was concerned about leaving the weight on the dolly wheels during transport, so we built a wood cradle to support the car under the longs. The cradle sat on jack stands, that in turn were screwed down to prevent shifting.
bkrantz
About an hour later the car was on the ground at the paint shop.
bkrantz
The body is now in the hands of Lin Coates and crew, in Bayfield, Colorado.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.