Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value added
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DblDog
This is a question of value added for the sale of a 914 that is still owned by to original purchaser. 914’s are now 49 to 43 years old, so an original owner car is fairly unusual...

The car in question is a 72. The window sticker shows a non-appearance group car, model 473024, with tinted windshield and black paint as the only options.

Current condition...

Not numbers matching and not running, so a ‘roller’.

All documents from new...110,000 miles.

It has been garaged continuously except for one or two years...some rust in the hell hole but other wise very solid including floor pans and longs. One respray and needs another.

Engine and transmission: engine is a stock 73, 1.7 with SSI 2 liter heat exchangers. Transmission has been rebuilt and has M - S third and fourth gears.

Wheels are Fuchs (5), brakes and suspension need upgrading. Shocks are red Koni’s.

Interior...except for after market radio, all original. All original glass, dash has no cracks, a complete carpet set in good condition except for left pedal rest, no tears or rips in the upholstery or speaker cut outs in doors.

Would like to hear comments from this most unique community...
Chi-town
So it's a 1 owner project car that has rust and needs a lot of work?

$1000-3500 depending on color and actual condition
GregAmy
"Roller" means no drivetrain installed.
mepstein
I’d rather have a nice 10 owner car than a one owner pos.
Mikey914
Only worth a small premium if it's in great shape or has a story. Even then, only what it's worth to you. Documents also add to the value. Is there a paper trail of service going back to the factory sticker?

Missing engine kind of negates some of the "added" value (at least in my mind).

At the end of the day it's mostly what's in front of you.
Very little rust a big adder ++
some hell hole work=at par,
lots of rust / project=??? maybe run

I bought a roller with a busted engine, low mileage, but German delivery with docs from the factory, even a passport for the cars. Great interior.Technically a one owner car for $1600

The kicker is that it's a MI car a lot of rust. I'll dump another 15k min into making this a great car again. But sometimes it's the journey.

The real question is the rust on your car any your ability to deal with it

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2019, 09:13 AM) *

Words of wisdom, well spoken !
IronHillRestorations
Condition (X3). Ownership only adds value to a valuable car. A one owner heap of rust is no more valuable than a 10 owner heap of rust. A very clean one owner, is another story
Larmo63
Pictures of this car would help a lot.

I think it sounds pretty good, but photos will say a lot about the car.
Tdskip
IMHO one owner only helps for a premium sale of a car already worth a premium.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 19 2019, 01:25 PM) *

agree.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
excellent point and eloquently stated.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 19 2019, 10:25 AM) *

brcacti
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 19 2019, 11:06 AM) *

excellent point and eloquently stated.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 19 2019, 10:25 AM) *

Yes, seems very logical to me agree.gif
Amphicar770
If you find a one owner gem, that gives you some reassurance that it was well loved throughout it's life. A one owner junker, just the opposite.
914forme
Never a premium for a one-owner car unless the owner is in some way connected to the creation or somehow famous enough that it supports the higher price due to prominence.

Example: One owner car from Stephen Jacobs = market value, most likely less as that jerk modifies all his cars.

One owner car from Steve McQueen = significantly more than market, and if it was a movie car it goes up from there.

One owner car that you have direct relationship with the original owner = priceless, but you still have to get it for a price, to be fair, I would say market value with condition wrapped in.
DblDog
Here are some pics of the car. Not a premium specimen, so it won’t return a premium...but a very complete original car with no modifications. Thoughts?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=716
878]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
I like it but the only two things that really matter is that you like it and it's not too rusty. beerchug.gif
914forme
agree.gif

I just purchased this car one owner, low miles, very rare color etc.... I paid a slight premium for it. I paid for the low miles, unique color, and rarity / documentation. I would not have cared if it had 12 owners as longs it was this nice in my driveway.

Click to view attachment
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2019, 09:13 AM) *

agree.gif

Bob B
Unobtanium-inc
One owner only carries weight if the car is damn near perfect. I'll give two examples.

First one was a 69 911E, bought by an Army Copter pilot, picked up at the Factory, where he special ordered it. Parked in 72, where I pulled it out of the barn. That's a special car.

2nd example, 1999 Mercedes C43 AMG, bought it from the original owner, a DR in Atlanta, so everything was dealer maintained, all records, and completely stock. I've maintained it for 13 years, it still looks really good, for a 20 year old car.

But the car you're describing the original owner angle doesn't help much because it needs a full restoration and isn't original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.