Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What clear coat to use on PPG DBC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Anyone know anything about PPG's DC3000 clear coat? That's the only PPG clear coat my paint supplier carries. The tech sheet description sounds like it is geared for high volume collision repair shops but I don't know enough to know if it will work for me. They also only carry the medium temp. hardener which is rated for 75F-95F. I'm going to be spraying the car in low 60s temps. The max I can expect is 70F and that is unlikely. I'm worried it will be too slow to get a good result, but again, I've never done this before. I just get frustrated with my one and only local paint supplier. Most of the employees have never painted a car and don't know shit about the products they sell. Hopefully I'm getting my undies in a bunch for nothing, but I don't want to spent a thousand dollars on paint and find out I got the wrong shit. Any advice appreciated.

Oh, it didn't help my confidence that they didn't have enough toner in stock to mix 3 quarts of DBC base coat today either. They are having some more shipped over from Billings. Good thing I wasn't counting on painting this weekend. huh.gif

Click to view attachment
mb911
If all they have is medium temp then just allow more flash time.. Typically its only 5-8 minutes just add a few minutes on that.. It kind of sucks they don't carry shopline as the European clear they sell is pretty darn nice but to be honest its likely the same stuff as dbc but the cheaper packaging..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 18 2019, 08:11 PM) *

If all they have is medium temp then just allow more flash time.. Typically its only 5-8 minutes just add a few minutes on that.. It kind of sucks they don't carry shopline as the European clear they sell is pretty darn nice but to be honest its likely the same stuff as dbc but the cheaper packaging..

Yeah, I asked them about Shopline and they just gave me a blank stare and said they'd never heard of it. I saw on PPG's site it is only available through select suppliers. I could save a fortune on paint if I could get it.
bbrock
Oh, and this DC3000 clear has super fast flash times at 3-5 minutes so I think you are right, not a big deal and maybe actually better. I was just worried about crap falling into it if it stayed wet too long.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 18 2019, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 18 2019, 08:11 PM) *

Yeah, I asked them about Shopline and they just gave me a blank stare and said they'd never heard of it. I saw on PPG's site it is only available through select suppliers. I could save a fortune on paint if I could get it.

I'm pretty sure our shop used to buy shopline from the local PPG dealer about 2 miles away. Now we have a real paint booth and a Glasurit mixing system.
If there is any way I can help, let me know. Our account should still be good at the PPG shop.
porschetub
Used it ,easy to apply ,at the first 3 coats found it layed very flat considering I was putting a lot on and final thinned (piss coat) was very smooth ,almost a shame to sand it,buffs up easy and had no issue but only did in the areas of trim/badges etc as new owner was buffing it completely.
Be aware I did this in cold conditions with a somewhat limited air supply speaks for the product.
Fan of PPG personally.
bbrock
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 18 2019, 11:10 PM) *

Used it ,easy to apply ,at the first 3 coats found it layed very flat considering I was putting a lot on and final thinned (piss coat) was very smooth ,almost a shame to sand it,buffs up easy and had no issue but only did in the areas of trim/badges etc as new owner was buffing it completely.
Be aware I did this in cold conditions with a somewhat limited air supply speaks for the product.
Fan of PPG personally.

Thanks very much for sharing this. I'm feeling much better about it. PPG lists a dozen clears just in their Deltron line and it is hard for an idiot like me to figure out what's what. Even worse when the paint shop can't help. At $400 a gallon it just raises the paranoia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.