Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tested my battery what do you think?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, I got out my battery tester my dad left me, (he was a car guy), I am a botanist and natural healer, never looked at it, used it but today I tested my 914 battery and it read less than 12 volts, about 11.8 or 11.9. Car would not start. I put it on 20 cca and it read 400 out of 520 I had it set for. On battery test it was in the red replace, not real far down but significant. The date on the battery said 10/13, I guess it is 6 years old. I will bring it to wal mart and have them test it also and buy a new one, do you all agree it is bad with those test results?
brcacti
I meant 520 cca
Rand
"Would not start" doesn't help. Did it crank? Before I'd throw money at a new battery I would at least jump start it and test voltage while running.
Tdskip
That is low, should be 12+ but may just need a charge. Autozone etc (or Walmart) can test and tell you if it is salavageable.

Don’t be shocked (drum roll please) if you need a new one.

I’d expect it would turn the car over as-is however...
brcacti
Did not crank was fine a couple of days ago. Appears to be 6 years old, the age and reading less than 12 volts even when connected to battery posts, not connectors plus it was in the red replace zone. I am FAR from an expert but would bet it is bad.
mepstein
The battery in my wife’s 2016 Honda died when we tried to restart her car after driving 500 miles to Maine and stopping twice. Testing at advance auto showed it was bad. 3 years. dry.gif
I do keep my Porsche batteries on a battery tender jr. it’s recommended for the optima batteries.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
check the fluid level, top with distilled water and charge it first
brcacti
What is a battery tender jr.? I did check the fluid levels and charged it many hours last night and a little this morning before trying to crank
brcacti
What is a battery tender jr.? I did check the fluid levels and charged it many hours last night and a little this morning before trying to crank
mepstein
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 19 2019, 02:12 PM) *

They are sold at most flaps and they line for $25-30
It’s a smart trickle charger. It has a chip to monitor the charge.
brcacti
THANKS to all who replied with information, I think a 6 year old battery is very old is that right? I am a novice but I think it lasted so long because it was stored some of the time?
Spoke
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 19 2019, 01:34 PM) *

Appears to be 6 years old,

Way beyond it's service life. Get a new battery. Batteries can dump in a moment. Good today..Won't start 10 minutes later.
StarBear
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 19 2019, 04:21 PM) *

Way beyond it's service life. Get a new battery. Batteries can dump in a moment. Good today..Won't start 10 minutes later.

Oh, and experience -- since most (?) originally had the clock wired directly to the battery, sitting that long running the clock would drain the battery, too. Added a battery disconnect for when not in use, and a disconnect switch to the radio, too (left it on once..); doubles as a fake kill switch to add to any potential thief's confusion.
fiacra
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 19 2019, 01:21 PM) *

agree.gif

Given what you describe, and the voltage you are getting when you test it, this is a dead battery. As almost all of us can attest, the choice of batteries is important. Lots of opinions on what to buy, but I don't think anybody would argue with a sealed battery. You can find good discussions about this, but here is one thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=323517
Rand
Just me, I'd try swapping batteries... take one from another car. See if the problem persists. I guess a new battery would be an ok investment, but I try to never spend money on parts that I'm not certain are bad.
porschetub
As mentioned don't muck around,most batteries don't last that long anyway,good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.