Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission-throw out bearing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sb914
So my car makes a grinding noise under load but if I’m just coasting the “ grinding “
Goes away. We pulled the tranny and Noel noticed the throw-out bearing is spinning
With ease and “grinding “ check out the video. Does this look right?
I really hope this is the problem. I know I could just replace it but I want to be sure beforehand. I planned on putting in a loner tranny until mine was fixed .
Hopefully it’s just the TOB !
Video is in post #2 @Dr Evil
ndfrigi
here are the youtube link of Eddy’s bearing.

https://youtu.be/YCeXWS--O_E

https://youtu.be/7zqupPeJMao

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
It is dry. Probably worn. I have several at the shop. Ask me tomorrow at the swap meet.
sb914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 19 2019, 03:34 PM) *

It is dry. Probably worn. I have several at the shop. Ask me tomorrow at the swap meet.

@bdstone914 Thanks Bruce! Did you hear it in the video? My question is,
would this make a “grinding “ noise while driving in gear, but stop while “coasting” in neutral ? It stops grinding when I’m coasting at any speed.
914Sixer
Bearing should be free floating when in gear. Only time it might make noise it when the clutch is engaged.
sb914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 19 2019, 06:54 PM) *

Bearing should be free floating when in gear. Only time it might make noise it when the clutch is engaged.

Are they supposed to spin that freely like in video ?
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 19 2019, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 19 2019, 06:54 PM) *

Are they supposed to spin that freely like in video ?

Yes pretty much, it sounds a bit dry but not heavily worn. Grinding under load would seem to me to have more to do with transmission or maybe differential.
Tbrown4x4
My vote is one of the carrier bearings is bad.

Does it make the noise in all the gears under acceleration? Like 914Sixer said, the TO bearing is only loaded when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I would put the loaner trans in and tear into the noisy one. And keep Dr Evil's number handy.

I can't remember if these have magnetic drain plugs. Drain the oil and look for metal. But surely you drained it before you removed it. poke.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 19 2019, 09:54 PM) *

agree.gif My bug has a release bearing going bad, I only hear it when I press the clutch pedal. But I say that bearing is pretty well done.

BTW never rest your foot on the clutch pedal, it will shorten the life of the bearing big time. Also it's important that you have 1/2"-3/4" free play on the pedal so the bearing releases fully.
sb914
Bummer headbang.gif I was hoping it was the TOB. I guess I’ll get a new TOB install it the the loner trans ( thanks Noel ) and see what happens from there. Thanks guys
Tbrown4x4
Keep us posted. I'm dying to know where that noise is coming from.
Dr Evil
Oooo, that dry.

For piece of mind, drain the tranz, look for metal, and pull the side cover. 19mm socket on a impact driver is easy as it is only like 9ft/lb (supposed to be), then 13mm nuts, then soft hammer and tap the side cover off. Once that is done, you can see the one diff bearing, and more importantly, the ring, pinion, one side of the input and pinion bearings, to see if that is the issue. If you really wanna go balls out, pull the stack and inspect thoroughly. A seal kit is all that should cost you if no issue and then you can KNOW how things are.

I worry that your pinion bearing in the plate is toast, though, so may wish to pull tail cone anyway and have a look for metal. Cant really see it without pulling 1st. Need a DVD? idea.gif happy11.gif
ndfrigi
finally installed a different transmission with new TOB and clutch pulley. Now Eddy’s 914-8 back on the road.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 30 2019, 02:10 PM) *

finally installed a different transmission with new TOB and clutch pulley. Now Eddy’s 914-8 back on the road.

driving.gif red914.jpg beerchug.gif

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.