Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: REPOP Speaker pods for the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
So I though Id take this opportunity to provide a review from a service'r perspective of one of the aftermarket parts being reproduced. smile.gif
In this case its the new speaker pods made by URO.
These are intended to be OE replicas for those folks restoring their cars.
Factory part # 914.551.505.10 L. & 914.551.506.10 R. "Bracket for Loudspeaker"

This OE design has some limitations (described in threads here and on other boards) with regard to the size/power of the speaker that can be installed.
The challenge is that the newer speaker offerings that CAN be fitted to these pods are designed with deeper cones & larger magnets.
The problem with that is once attached to the stock chassis fasteners/location, they tend to crush & restrict the paper foil tubes directly behind that directs heated air from the HE's for defrost ect.

For those that aren't concerned with originality but are interested in current audio offerings in the relative stock speaker location
(vs cutting & installing in the door panels mad.gif), Id direct you to one of the options allowing the installation of 6" round speakers.

Anyway the (pair of) items were received well packaged & undamaged.
Each Pod were delivered in simple plastic bags.
First impression is that they are PRETTY faithful reproductions.
Dimensions are spot on and the ABS material appears to be identical.
The outside of both the OE & URO pods have a molded "grain" to them, & it is really the only area Id say isnt exact.
But as these items did/do come in black only, IMO the most discerning (and anal) judge would be hard pressed to tell the difference once installed. sunglasses.gif

For this customer I installed a pair of still functioning decades old OE speakers biggrin.gif screwed them back in and fired up the old Blaupunkt AM/FM & was rewarded with the sounds of some 70's era quality audio aktion035.gif

For those interested these can had at the usual sources. URO Speaker Cover -013336 & -013337

bye1.gif
scallyk9
Thank you for the review. Has URO provided more options regarding the mounting hole spacing or are they "faithful" to the rather odd measurements between screw supports for the OEM speakers?

There are several excellent speakers on the market that provide enough rear clearance but they won't mount directly to the original pods screw positions.
914werke
@scallyk9 @UROPartsman
These are "faithfull" reproductions of the OE pods
StarBear
Great to know! Thanks so much.
Mine are cracked (at both usual places) and the old Radio Shack replacements are still a-crankin'. Had The Byrds and The Doobie Brothers (cassette tapes) on yesterday! Livin' the dream....
gms
I also put these on a 6 restoration and they are spot on
Top is OEM, bottom Uro

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914werke
Good Photos. Thanks Glenn.
Rob-O
Wow, very nice. The grain spacing is a tad different but from the driver or passenger seat it’s probably difficult to tell. Besides I’d rather have nice new pods with a slightly different than stock grain than stock grain and a cracked pod. That I CAN see from the drivers seat!

I just sent my circa 1973 Blaupunkt Frankfurt in for refurbishment at Vintage Blau (Long Island, NY I believe). Now if I could just find some speakers that fit depth wise...
horizontally-opposed
I decided to try a pair of these based on this thread—thanks for the excellent pics and comments, @914werke —and have to say I'm glad I did.

The factory speaker pods in my 914 were so brittle that two grille bars broke as I carefully removed the factory cloth. I thought about trying to save/reinforce them, but realized they're just too brittle—so I started looking at this thread. The repops are exactly as represented in this thread; if anything, the match is even better than the photos suggest. The grain and finishes are superb, as is fit.

The only issue I see is the four tiny/slight dimples where the brass inserts were presumably melted into place. But that's a very minor criticism. I decided to order these from Summit Racing, and they arrived less than 48 hours later, as other shipments from Summit have. Impressed on that front, too.
Yogimd
Does anyone have any advice on viable modern speakers that will fit / mount well?

Thanks
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Yogimd @ May 5 2021, 12:35 PM) *

Does anyone have any advice on viable modern speakers that will fit / mount well?

Thanks

@yogimd

I really like @bbrock 's solution.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2784430

More generic thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...335247&st=0

I also have a set of 914Rubber.com 's round speaker pods that I have on hold in case I decide to go more modern 6 1/2" round.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335653
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.