Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Straighten Trunk Lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
So among the many issues with my 73 2.0 is a twisted trunk lid. The left rear corner sits about 1/2 high, and the rear edge turns up about 18 inches from the corner. The brace inside also has been dented and shows previous work.

Any way to straighten the rear edge, and un-twist the corner?

mepstein
Is the hinge broken?
bbrock
I had the same thought about the hinge but you can see the twist in the pic. I would start by addressing that brace. Depending on the work that was done on it, you may have to cut out the repair and fab a patch to put everything right. I had to do something kind of similar on my front lid where it was kinked and then rusted inside, but it still fit reasonably well. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2741640

Once you have the twist out and it is laying reasonably well, I found it pretty easy to reshape the contour to match the body lines of the quater panels. Heree's a link to my process. It only shows the front, but I did it on the rear lid too.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2750912

rgalla9146
What does the trunk floor look like ?
The bottom of the rear skirt looks bent and the taillight area too.
Can you borrow a good rear lid to evaluate the surrounding area ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
absolutely the place to start, borrow a good straight deck lid, make sure that it aligns perfectly with your body, and if so have a good bodyman straighten yours. These deck lids are so rare these days (most are rusted) that we need to save everyone we can

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 21 2019, 06:19 AM) *

What does the trunk floor look like ?
The bottom of the rear skirt looks bent and the taillight area too.
Can you borrow a good rear lid to evaluate the surrounding area ?

IronHillRestorations
If you know the decklid is tweaked, it might be worth your while to consult a autobody shop with restoration experience. A good body man might be able to get it back in shape. You might be able to do it too, but if you have no experience, you might make it really bad
914GT
My trunk lid had this problem but not as severe as yours. Both rear corners were turned up and not meeting flush with the body. I found the problem to be caused by the factory injected urethane foam put between the sheet metal and the inner bracing along the back edge. This foam appears to expand with age and/or exposure to moisture and forces the trunk lid sheet metal away from the inner structure. This causes the lid to bow and pull up at the outside corners. I don’t know of an easy fix and trying to force it into position may buckle the reinforcing on the the bottom of the lid. What I did is remove the outer skin completely from the inner bracing to remove all of that foam. This also let me clean up the metal and weld up some rust holes. I treated it with a rust converter then sprayed epoxy before putting the two sections back together. I used a door skin tool to roll the outer skin around the inner brace and finished with some light hammer/dolly work. This brought the back corners back down to the original shape. Maybe yours has some other issue or prior damage but it looks similar to the problem I was having.
bkrantz
Thanks, everyone. To answer a few questions:

The trunk is not on hinges, just propped in place to show the bend.

Yes, the rear trunk floor is rusted through, and probably has been for years.

Yes, the rear panel is not straight, probably from some mild impact, from a previous installation of a "PORSCHE" filler plate between the lights, and a hacked-in electric trunk release.

Looking closer, and poking harder at the trunk brace, I found some very thin spots from rust, including where the locking post bolts on.

So the brace needs work. Can this be removed?
bkrantz
One more thing: it will be a challenge to borrow a trunk lid in any condition, at least from anyone nearby. I may just be eye-balling the correct curve, and matching the lid edge as I also straighten the read panel.
Literati914
The rear trunk on my project is lifted like this on the passenger's side (maybe not quite as severe), I noticed today that there's only one roller installed on a hinge (driver's side hinge) and it's horizontal torsion "wire" that runs across the back - is in place. But no roller or torsion wire installed for the passenger's side. The PS torsion wire is there, but not sitting under the roller obviously. Could this be causing the lift on the PS ?
Front yard mechanic
Easy fix just put a 2x4 under the right side and push down smash.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would NEVER try to bend a trunk lid until you verify that it is indeed bent, and without a substitute to compare it to, would not even bend it then. Way too valuable and hard to come by rust free ones.
Literati914
ok well, I ordered a torsion roller for the passenger side.. will install that and the torsion rod and have a look where it sits then. My lid is not rust free, got some work to do there too, so.. I may resort to a 2x4 after all smash.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.