Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kicking the idea around
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wreed
Not sure if this is in the correct location ..... So I have been tossing the idea around of tackling a long term restoration project. The 914 is high on the list. I purchased a 72 super beetle cabriolet many years ago and my daughter and I worked to make it a really nice car -- fortunately, she will be graduating with her mechanical engineering degree and will be taking ownership of the car she put a lot of time and effort into --- and now it is time to take on a new fun project.

I have been lingering around the 914world forums for some time now and thought I would finally register and say hello and ask for any suggestions. It will still be a little time before the garage gets cleared so I am in no major rush. I thought about purchasing a decent motor to get started on a nice build but wanted to get some input on others adventures.

Any input is appreciated.
PanelBilly
Pickup a 3.2 and rebuild it. That's a great place to start
KELTY360
You’re on the right track if you’re thinking long term. No such thing as a short term 914 project. happy11.gif

Well worth the effort.
rhodyguy
Buy the best condition RUNNING car you can afford. Save the 20k+ engine conversion for down the road.
Coondog
Do you even own a 914 confused24.gif
wreed
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 21 2019, 07:42 PM) *

Do you even own a 914 confused24.gif

I do not own a 914 -- I am just looking at a few different cars that I would consider restoring. I like the look of these cars and the fact that they are not overly loved for some unknown reason. I have worked on mid-engine cars so that does not scare me off, I also have no problem pulling an engine if need be. I just wanted to get a feel for what people would look out for hind sight -- what they wish they would not have overlooked on the initial purchase.

These cars interest me -- but I have plenty of time to pull the trigger.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.