Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with fuel sender issue.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Hi guys, I have a problem I have not been able to solve. When a fuel sender is first installed in my tank it will give an initial read of the fuel level in the tank, which is fine… however after that the fuel level never changes, its like the float in the sender tube is stuck at one point.

Here is the twist to my story, I run a PMS 914 “Fuel Safe” fuel cell which is a bladder tank that is filled with FOAM. (see pic 1)

I have spoken to fuel safe tech and they said that from time to time there are fuel cells that will not work with a tube type sender that reads with a float. I have tried 2 fuel senders and both have the same problem.

My assumption is that there is bladder foam material pushing against the bottom of the sender and not allowing the fuel to drain from the senders small weep holes on the bottom. (see pic2)

I have dry tested the sender and gauge. I temporarily wired the sender to operate while I am holding it. With the sender in normal orientation the gauge reads empty. When I flip the sender upside down the gauge reads full. The sender gauge combo operates normally.

Here is my thinking…. what would be the downside for me to drill out the weep holes on the bottom of the sender? If the foam is indeed pushing up against the sender bottom, much larger holes would allow it to drain, right?

Opinions please….

Thank you.
mepstein
What about coring out the foam so it doesn't compress under the sender.

Take a cheap hole saw. rotate the blades up against a belt sander until it's knife sharp. core out the foam 2" at a time until you get the right length for the sender. Try it out on a scrap piece of foam first.

Just a thought...
914Toy
Consider also drilling a few small holes near the bottom on the side.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 22 2019, 08:51 AM) *

Take a cheap hole saw. rotate the blades up against a belt sander until it's knife sharp. core out the foam 2" at a time until you get the right length for the sender. Try it out on a scrap piece of foam first.

Just a thought...

Considered this but there would be much debris left behind that would stay in the tank and possibly clog the fuel pump etc. etc.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 22 2019, 09:06 AM) *

Consider also drilling a few small holes near the bottom on the side.

Considering this also.
mepstein
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Oct 22 2019, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 22 2019, 08:51 AM) *

Just a thought...

Considered this but there would be much debris left behind that would stay in the tank and possibly clog the fuel pump etc. etc.

Try it with a scrap. Usually when I’ve cut foam, I don’t get particles. If the blade is sharp and thin, it should cut, not tear.
Marv's3.6six
I feel that cutting the foam solution may be the last resort. The thought of sticking a hole saw down into my fuel tank does not sound like something I really want to do.

I feel the better solution is to drill out the weep holes on the bottom of the sender so if the foam is actually pushing against the sender the larger diameter holes will allow it to drain.... and can't think of any actual downside to modifying it in this way.

Anyone else have an idea or input?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.