Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: historic plate anyone?-------love, hate let's here it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Would be interested in knowing opinions on the historic plate, like, hate, ok?Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
Not offered in my state, we have Classic and Collectors plates though. Classic for the old stuff, collectors for semi-old or extremely rare.

I'm not sure what the benefits are in your state, but in MN for a collectors plate there are no registration renewals each year. So the collectors plate I have on my 914 saves me from having to buy tabs every year. They are limited to a certain number of miles, but it's the honor system, there's no process for reviewing or updating mileage, or even having working odometers. And you have to have a regularly licensed vehicle as well, a daily driver if you will.
mepstein
I like it.
Jamie
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 22 2019, 10:38 AM) *

Would be interested in knowing opinions on the historic plate, like, hate, ok?Click to view attachment

Don't have any opinion about the plate, but you need to stop driving over that extension cord on gravel, good way to cut through the insulation. poke.gif
a9146luvr
Love it, enjoy the benefits. My state charges every year and requires mileage verification.
Chi-town
I have a set left over from an old project, AZ does a nice job with them.

Wish we had them in CA still sad.gif
DickSteinkamp
Here in Washington State, getting a collector vehicle plate eliminates annual renewal fees, but you are not supposed to use the car as a daily driver. It is the first step in obtaining a Year of Manufacture plate (YOM) which has the same immunity from annual fees.

I like the YOM plate much more than the collector plate. I have YOM plates on all my collector cars.

This one on my 914 was used from 68-81 so it covers all years of the 914. You don't have to run a front plate for either the collector plate or the YOM plate and you don't need a month and year sticker on either.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Oct 22 2019, 12:38 PM) *

I have a set left over from an old project, AZ does a nice job with them.

Wish we had them in CA still sad.gif

California still does have them.

There are driving restrictions and they are not exempt from fees.

I'm used to seeing them here (in California) on much older vehicles, like model "T"s.

I think 914's look great with period plates, meaning the year the car was manufactured and or original plates issued to the car.

So for looks....not so much...for fees at least in some states....less is more.
Chi-town
CA's rules
5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

© A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

And from the Pollution Control section:

g) For purposes of subdivision (a), any collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 of the Health and Safety Code, if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.

(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle’s class and model year as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.

And Section 259 defined:

Collector Motor Vehicles

259. "Collector motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle owned by a collector, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5051, and the motor vehicle is used primarily in shows, parades, charitable functions, and historical exhibitions for display, maintenance, and preservation, and is not used primarily for transportation
Jamie
QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 22 2019, 10:49 AM) *

Don't have any opinion about the plate, but you need to stop driving over that extension cord on gravel, good way to cut through the insulation. poke.gif
Here in KY we have Historic Vehicle plates that eliminate tax but I had a processing fee this year of $0.33 to pay. The vehicle is not to be driven more than 500mi. and to only to sanctioned auto events, but nobody is counting.
Jamie
QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 22 2019, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 22 2019, 10:49 AM) *

Here in KY we have Historic Vehicle plates that eliminate tax but I had a processing fee this year of $0.33 to pay. The vehicle is not to be driven more than 500mi. and only to sanctioned auto events, but nobody is counting.

Dangit, how do we delete duplicate posts here?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.