Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally picked up my new 73 2.0 with 63k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
Okay I haven't been this tempted in along time. Saw a 73 2.0 car listed.
Doesn't run & has some ungodly spoiler on the rear trunk. Guy was working towards getting it painted. Called him on the phone & could hardly hear him. With me finally having my car on the road again. Feeling the bug a bit more. So I decided I'd go take a look. Here is the good

63k original miles
buying from second owner who also stored it inside
Interior is perfect with no cracks in dash, seats, door panels or backpad
SS heat exchangers
Extra pistons, jugs & heads
2 sets of webers carbs (Along with original fuel injection in a box)
No sign of any body damage & all panels, gaps look as they should
I found one tiny bit of rust below the battery tray. Best hell hole in an original car I've gotten to buy. No rust in either trunk or under the car. The rockers still have the stock rivets. I see nothing around the jackpost or below that worries me
L041 original black car
Car is complete & anything aftermarket like steering wheel. Still includes the original

Bad
Needs paint
Need to get rid of the ugly flipping wing he put on
VW offset riviera's (I will be on the lookout for a nice set of Stock 4 lug fuchs)
Motor needs head replaced. Dropped valve he said.
Tin painted yellow WTF.gif
Windshield cracked
Not a hug fan of the center rear Porsche deflector. So that will go up for sale
Guy has not put it in his name. Has the signed title but no bill of sale. With it being out of state. I am waiting for him to go to the DMV tomorrow. Need to make sure I will have no problem getting it titled in my name

My plan will be to pull the drivetrain & get the motor sorted. Strip parts to get it painted. I will have the outside painted. Trunks & jams are all still good. Overall I am pretty excited for this car piratenanner.gif
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Congratulations on a great find and very nice car. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Good deal, low miles
Tbrown4x4
Very nice! Keep it stock. poke.gif

(Too soon?) confused24.gif
Dion
Very nice find. Yes, go back to stock. Good luck.
Chris H.
Nice find! OG black is so hard to find, especially low mileage and two owners. Seems like a lot of people who have a conversion car also have (or want) a stock 914. If one turned up by me like that one I'd have a hard time not buying it.
JRust
Yeah this will stay a bone stock car. Not sure if I will keep it once it is finished. We'll see where the market is.
ctc911ctc
[quote name='Tbrown4x4' date='Oct 23 2019, 06:58 AM' post='2756643']
Very nice! Keep it stock. poke.gif

agree.gif
Tdskip
Congratulations
JRust
Title is being a bit of an issue. Guy never put it in his name. Original owner died but daughter had power of attorney at the time. Which has now expired. Anyway I am working with them & they have the daughters name. She is willing to help as well. I put down a deposit so just said I am fine with them holding that. With them working towards getting the title. So I will be keeping in touch but this may draw out for months rather than weeks dry.gif
914_teener
Clean everything up....like said.....put the FI back on.......keep it stock and drive it a bit.

I'm secretly looking for one......again.
JRust
Finally picked up my newest 914. Took almost 2 months to get the title stuff squared away. Guy I got it from bought from the original owner. He had some motor issue so it hadn't been driven. My guy pulled the motor & started prepping to paint it. Added that ugly ass wing. He did something with a head & it made some noise. So he stopped & got another head. Didn't get the full story but the motor will be coming out & taken apart to check everything out. Then I'll replace what is needed & reseal it. Super happy with this car. I plan to have it apart & off for paint in the next month.
jagalyn
Nice find
jmitro
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 22 2019, 09:44 PM) *

63k original miles

I'm just curious - how does one verify the odometer reading is actually original miles? without another digit on the odometer, there's no way to tell if the mileage has rolled over at least once. you have all the documentation from when the car was brand new?
jim_hoyland
Nice smile.gif I hope you keep the patina as it is; just clear coat it. It will be a real head turner.... smile.gif
Chris H.
Man those are some STRAIGHT bumpers for an OG car. You might be surprised at how well the paint buffs out...

JRust
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 21 2019, 05:20 AM) *

63k original miles

I'm just curious - how does one verify the odometer reading is actually original miles? without another digit on the odometer, there's no way to tell if the mileage has rolled over at least once. you have all the documentation from when the car was brand new?

There is no true way I suppose. Just going by some service records. Car sat for close to 20 years without being driven. In a garage thankfully. I have some of the original owners paperwork & mileage from when he sold it. Guy I got it from never put the title in his name. With the motor issue he didn't get to drive it much. Think it has maybe 200 miles on it over when he bought it.
mepstein
Does it matter that the title isn’t in the sellers name? As long as there isn’t someone else’s name as a buyer, I’ve never had a problem registering a car in my name. I know all states are different but ...
KELTY360
Nice find Jamie! Great bumper tops too. That wing is no uglier than the exhaust. shades.gif
76-914
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 21 2019, 05:20 AM) *

63k original miles

When it is that low you can check out the rubber wear on the brake/accl pedals. Should be minimal. beerchug.gif
SKL1
Oh come on now, with that Ansa exhaust and that wing you'll get every ricer wanting to race you...
JRust
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 21 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Oh come on now, with that Ansa exhaust and that wing you'll get every ricer wanting to race you...

Yeah that exhaust needs to go as well. I'll be on the lookout for a banana
jmitro
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 21 2019, 02:08 PM) *

When it is that low you can check out the rubber wear on the brake/accl pedals. Should be minimal. beerchug.gif

if only it was that easy. pedal pads are easily changed for brand new ones
JRust
Well there is a little rust hole in the hell hole. Didn't start poking it to see how weak it is around it. So that is a bummer. Battery tray most likely has a hole. Was a metal inset int he bottom of that I also wasn't able to see below the battery. I'll pull the rockers off this week & make sure it isn't a ton worse. The jack post looks & feel solid. There are no holes in the bottom. Both front & rear trunks are in great shape with no rust. I'll try to post some pics of the interior. There is one aftermarket gauge in the center console. Turned the motor over a few times just to see. I'll spray some carb cleaner in the top of the carb. See if I can get it started & see what issue the motor had.

Overall still happy with the purchase. I figured I would find some rust eventually. Seems like I do remember seeing that small hole when I committed to buy it. My memory sucks. LOL!
mb911
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 21 2019, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 21 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Yeah that exhaust needs to go as well. I'll be on the lookout for a banana

@JRust I can always help you out on my type 4 mufflers when your ready.
JRust
Well battery tray was worse than expected as is the hell hole. Definitely will need some work. Longitude looks good as does the jack point. Still worse than I anticipated but far from catastrophic.
914Sixer
Looks like your going to keep the rust from gain a larger foot hold. Please pull the back wall mat. They could be a nightmare in hiding.
JRust
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 4 2020, 07:02 PM) *

Looks like your going to keep the rust from gain a larger foot hold. Please pull the back wall mat. They could be a nightmare in hiding.

Good point. It will come out this week. I'll be pulling the motor/trans to prep for the rust repair. Hoping to have it ready for paint by the end of the month. Already ordered the battery tray from Restoration Design.
For the hell hole repair how thick is the metal there? Want to be sure to use the same for the patch
76-914
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 21 2019, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 21 2019, 02:08 PM) *

if only it was that easy. pedal pads are easily changed for brand new ones
The comment was in relation to a that car that only has 63K on the clock. shades.gif It should have the OEM pads on the pedals. If they look new then yes, I'd be suspicious. If the car was over 100K I certainly wouldn't suggest that method.
JRust
Damn I hate some things with 914's. One is just about every 914 I have bought the previous PO has managed to strip the CV bolts out completely. Maybe not everyone but damn. Buy the proper tool. 6 of the 16 were not so bad & I got them with the right torque bit. Oh & there was actually a 13mm bolt in one of cv's on the wheel side WTF.gif . I was able to get a couple more with some vise grips. Thankfully they weren't cranked on so tight they broke loose okay. Guess they were to stripped to get very tight. the last one I can't get to budge. I'll have to grind a cut into it so I can get a big flat head screwdriver. Just enough so I can break it loose. Just took a bit tonight to disconnect everything so I can pull the motor/trans this week. Hope to get the hell hole repair started this weekend. Only a little 1/2" hole & feels solid all around the hole. So I'll spend some time cleaning up the area. Plus the battery tray replacement. New one coming from Restoration Design hopefully by the end of the week. The battery tray support is fine just need to get the remnants of the original tray off.
rhodyguy
Jamie, you might get that last bolt with a plumbing 'basin wrench'. Handier tool than you might think. HF sells them for $6. Most if not all the big box stores sell them too.
JRust
Okay I haven't made any progress the last month. I did manage to pick up a mid-rise scissor lift last week. Finally got it in the garage & under my car. I'll drop the motor tomorrow afternoon if work doesn't screw it up. So glad to have a lift again though. I do need to get a 220 plug added in my garage. It works off 110 but is a struggle
Cairo94507
JRust - I thank God everyday for making a residential mid-rise scissor lift (mine is a BendPak). It makes being in the garage working on the cars a true joy. Laying on the ground is for the young guys, that's for sure. My knees and back just could not take it anymore.
JRust
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 9 2020, 12:52 PM) *

JRust - I thank God everyday for making a residential mid-rise scissor lift (mine is a BendPak). It makes being in the garage working on the cars a true joy. Laying on the ground is for the young guys, that's for sure. My knees and back just could not take it anymore.

Absolutely. I had a bend pak previously. Didn't lift quite a high as this one. WAs a bit smaller end to end so guess that makes sense. I got this one off FB for 1k. It's a harbor freight one but I like it overall I think. I need to see once I get the 220 hooked up. It struggled off 110
JRust
Finally got a bit of time today. Got the drivetrain dropped without a problem. Hell hole had a small hole. Was fairly thin by the firewall & I pulled out the thin stuff. It's about an inch wide & 3" long. Also my jack post itself was solid but the mount had near the bottom. I cut out the outer portion & definitely some rust through. Figure I need to cut into the long a bit to take out the rusted section. Really is solid above. Really debating completely stripping this car to bare metal. Just hate to do it. The bottom of the car is in great shape. Other than the bit of hell hole. I've got just a bit in the front trunk channel the seal sits in. It will clean up though.

I really was hoping to just shoot the outside of the car & maybe the trunks. Didn't want to remove the interior at all as it is so nice. Seems like removing them sometimes i get cracks that were never there before. Door jams are all good as well. Anyway take a look at the carnage
bkrantz
Trying to resist a complete tear-down? Good luck!

(But you should look under the carpets, especially under the seats.)
JRust
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 7 2020, 07:54 PM) *

Trying to resist a complete tear-down? Good luck!

(But you should look under the carpets, especially under the seats.)

Yeah did that & I am good. Also the firewall is good. Engine pad out & there was just a bit of surface rust on passenger side in engine bay. Probably more glue from the pad than actual rust. Cleaned up fine. The wall by battery tray is still really solid. Just the hell hole which certainly could be worse. It's worse than I can see inside I am sure but I think it will be smaller patches to fix. Not a big section of the longitude.
cary
I concur with Jamie this is the best virgin hell hole I've ever seen. Yesterday I thought
it had been done before. But once I could get in close. What I thought was a cold weld
was a wad of seam sealer. biggrin.gif

BEFORE :
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

AFTER CUT OUT :
Click to view attachment

DOWN INTO LONG :
Click to view attachment

AFTER MORE TRIMMING AND SERIOUS DOSE OF OSPHO :
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JRust
That is great news Cary. Appreciate the quick work in & fix. Can't wait to see it. Just realized I forgot one of the trunk hinges was buggered. I've got the replacement here but if you have time to work some magic. I'm good with you cleaning that up too evilgrin.gif
cary
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 21 2020, 07:09 PM) *

That is great news Cary. Appreciate the quick work in & fix. Can't wait to see it. Just realized I forgot one of the trunk hinges was buggered. I've got the replacement here but if you have time to work some magic. I'm good with you cleaning that up too evilgrin.gif

I'll take a look Monday.
cary
Jack post back in business ................ biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'll drill a couple drain holes on Monday

cary
Pattern created for the hell hole patch. Ready for cut out on Monday.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Nice place to end the week.

JRust
Love it man! Looking great
cary
Forgot the most important part. Sealed up for eternity.
Click to view attachment
Eastwood Frame Coating, using fan spray nozzle.
cary
Jamie's new Hell Hole ...............
I'm thinking this car was a plugged drain hole, not battery acid.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

JRust
Picked it up this afternoon. Going to start pulling more parts this weekend. Gas tank coming out along with the interior. Really didn't want to completely strip it. Ah the debate
JRust
Well one of my fog light lenses are cracked. So nice in organizing my shop I happened across just what I needed. Typically I buy another one before I find it evilgrin.gif
JRust
Got my new shoes for the resto. They we redone by my buddy Tom who doesn't post much. They look great & have fresh rubber. Well they have been sitting unused for a bit. So they are fresh rubber but have been sitting for 2 years.

The spare needs some work though
Tdskip
Thanks for the updates
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.