Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mini Deep Sump Installation Instructions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I've got one of those nicely machined mini deep sump kits from Jonesy. I would like the installation instructions (or "fitting guide" in UK parlance) to make sure I'm doing this correctly in terms of pickup tube, gaskets, etc. Can someone post those here or PM / email them to me? For some reason he doesn't post those publicly on his Samba vendor page or send with the product. I've reached out to him, and to be fair he's responded and will provide, but he can't access them for a couple of days. Meanwhile, my car is up on a lift waiting...

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance. Here's the product to which I refer:

IPB Image
BeatNavy
Maybe I can try it this way:

1. Which way does the pickup extension go on (is the short or long end -- based on where the flange is -- oriented up?).

2. How far does the extension go up on the existing pickup?

3. Do you use, or not use, the existing strainer with this setup?

Thanks beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
Not sure but see if this thread helps out: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=tuna+can
BeatNavy
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 23 2019, 04:52 PM) *

Not sure but see if this thread helps out: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=tuna+can

Hi Brian,

Thanks, that does help some. It turns out Jonesy was able to get me a PDF late this afternoon. It confirms that you need to drill out the hole in the strainer to accommodate the through bolt and it confirms the direction and amount the pickup extension is installed over the existing pickup (~4 to 5 mm). He also suggests using a sealant or brazing.

In the thread you posted Chris Foley talks about "modifying the flange." Not sure what that means. It sounds like this is not a completely plug and play solution, however elegant it is. Which is cool, but I just need to know that.

I'd be interested in what others have done in terms of fitment/modification.
FlacaProductions
Cool - I've been doing a little research on this and had that thread saved as I'm interested in adding Jonesy's tuna can as well at some point. Tracking this...
Mblizzard
Ok not trying to sound like a smart ass at all. But I struggled with this as well and then drilling the strainer seemed obvious. But without that moment of seeing things clearly it is a bit confusing to figure out the install.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 23 2019, 06:58 PM) *

Ok not trying to sound like a smart ass at all. But I struggled with this as well and then drilling the strainer seemed obvious. But without that moment of seeing things clearly it is a bit confusing to figure out the install.

Such a smart ass, Mike happy11.gif

FWIW, here's the fitment guide. It really is a well made product (as is his taco plate). Just need to know how to install.

Click to view attachment
914werke
Sorry I guess I posted pics but not the actual installation detail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.