Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corvair power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I've read the various Corvair threads here on the world over the years and found them extremely interesting and informative. What I can't seem to find is a video of a 914 running a Corvair motor...or even a build thread that went to completion. I'd like to see or read someone's experience/impressions about the transplant once it's done and drivable.

Do these unicorns exist?
mepstein
Used to be a popular conversion. Doc Evil had one in his bus.
sixnotfour
Never had one in a 914 , but when I was 16, an aircooled turbocharged 6cylinder car for $500 was fun, autocrossed the crap out of it....thru a belt twice..magnesium fan upgrade...lost 2 valve seats...never adjusted valves and was quiet...
This was my dads engine in a shortened autocross late model, we had just bought a 914 to put the engine in and , he passed away...
sixnotfour
get a hold of this guy.. @DaveO90s4

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=320074&hl=
TargaToy
It seems like a neat fit and a relatively cheap way to add some power and sound to a 914...and in a way that leaves the car easily returnable to stock.

...and as many times as these things have been said on here, I have not successfully found an instance where it was done and documented.

I know JRust bought one already converted and I did not see how that car ultimately ended up.
TargaToy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 23 2019, 12:26 PM) *

So close! Got my hopes up...and the thread died in 2017. sad.gif

My dad auto-crossed and rallied Corvairs and then the 914 which I now own...so this is a topic which is of particular interest to me.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 23 2019, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 23 2019, 12:26 PM) *

So close! Got my hopes up...and the thread died in 2017. sad.gif

My dad auto-crossed and rallied Corvairs and then the 914 which I now own...so this is a topic which is of particular interest to me.

Yes, but he is still around , he posts on @r3dplanet thread..and Marcus has an engine for sale
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4258&st=320
gandalf_025
I started driving Turbo Corvairs in the early 70's.
I used them as Winter Cars when I put the 6 away for the season.

Built some fun hot rod turbo motors over the years with oversize Forged Pistons and turbo's with the tighter exhaust scroll and the "E" Flow impeller on the intake side.
2 barrel Weber 45DCOE Carb and alcohol injection..
Great Sleeper cars.
Cheap compared Porsche Prices.....
And now they do the big bore kits with VW Pistons and Cylinders and many different turbo options....

TargaToy

"Yes, but he is still around , he posts on @r3dplanet thread..and Marcus has an engine for sale
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4258&st=320"

Terrific. Thank you!
Dr Evil
I never finished putting one in my 914 because a friend gave me a 2.7 to rebuild. However, see my link below for my bus. I have a 3.1L engine in my 74 VW bus that has propelled it to over 100mph with the stock 2 speed powerglide. I am going to pull it and sell it, likely. At this time, not sure if I will part it as head and all the work are worth a bit, or sell it as whole. If someone wanted to put a reverse cam in it, and the reverse running gears to run it for a 901 transmission, it would be cheap and easy (realatively). I could even do it. Hit me up and we can talk about it smile.gif It makes about 240hp.
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
gandalf_025
This is still sitting on a shelf in my garage.

.Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Oct 24 2019, 07:49 PM) *

This is still sitting on a shelf in my garage.

.Click to view attachment

I had one, gave it to the guy at CorvairRanch for credit. I would consider putting it on this engine.
TargaToy
Why did this saga come to an end:

JRust's Porvair

Whatever became of the car with the Corvair 6???

I guess I'm really wanting to see footage of a swapped 914 in action and hear some impressions from the driver.

@JRust ??
JRust
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 25 2019, 08:55 AM) *

JRust's Porvair

I guess I'm really wanting to see footage of a swapped 914 in action and hear some impressions from the driver.

@JRust ??

Yeah I sold it to a guy on the Oregon Coast I think. Damned if I can remember who though confused24.gif . Love to buy that car back. That was a rust free car in Gemeni blue. Love to do something else with it
TargaToy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 25 2019, 12:49 PM) *

You're a good man. Thank you!
TargaToy
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 25 2019, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 25 2019, 08:55 AM) *

JRust's Porvair

@JRust ??

Yeah I sold it to a guy on the Oregon Coast I think. Damned if I can remember who though confused24.gif . Love to buy that car back. That was a rust free car in Gemeni blue. Love to do something else with it

That is indeed a shame. I may have missed it, although not for lack of trying to find it biggrin.gif , but what made you decide to bale on the project?
JRust
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 25 2019, 10:06 AM) *

That is indeed a shame. I may have missed it, although not for lack of trying to find it biggrin.gif , but what made you decide to bale on the project?

I'm a suby guy through & through when it comes to conversions. This setup was good so figured to let someone with a love for the Corvair mess with it. Rather than swap it to something else. Wish I would have kept it but that is true for damn near every 914 I have owned over the years now sad.gif
jim_hoyland
Were all the Covair motors air-cooled ?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 25 2019, 12:38 PM) *

Were all the Covair motors air-cooled ?

Yes. And the engine was designed by Porsche for Chevrolet.
jim_hoyland
Ok, air cooled, Porsche design; why haven’t more for air conversions been done. Seems like a better way...?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 25 2019, 06:08 PM) *

Ok, air cooled, Porsche design; why haven’t more for air conversions been done. Seems like a better way...?

yes but, with the reverse rotation and the cult like following...Its just different....
I had a ton of Corvair shit...and in the late 80s they where cheap ass MFRs.....
Sold everything in one lot ...gave away all my books etc....Cool engine ...buttttttttt
mepstein
I think conversions moved away from corvair and sbc to suby power. Also, Jake Raby, Fat, etc proved you could get some good hp from the type 4 and not have all the fabrication needed for an alternative engine.
sixnotfour
boo on the type 4...
corvair is better ...just no easy button
rick 918-S
I really lost track of Irv. Last active 2016. sad.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=132215
chrisg
Count me in as one who would love a Corvair conversion. I’ve come to the conclusion that I really don’t want modern water cooled or big horsepower for my 914. That’s why you keep a Boxster or Cayman around. But over that last two years or so, spurred by Marcus’ engine build thread and a brief contact with DaveO, I’ve come to really like the Corvair motor as it is along the same technological lines as the type 4, being a fairly simple, pushrod, aluminum, air-cooled, boxer motor. And they just sound so much better, IMO. They have their quirks and there are always naysayers, but I still like them.

That said, even though the install definitely doesn’t seem overly involved or require re-engineering the whole car, I just don’t have time to do one myself. I still have to do other things for a living everyday. I can’t ever find time to work on my car as is and it’s not nearly as bad as what some here tackle. Ultimately I’ll probably stay type 4 for ease and originality, but there is still that tug from the Corvair side, and it’s still kind of strong.
r3dplanet
Alright, here's some shameful self-promotion unless the mods dislike it. My engine is for sale here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341485
914coop
Yes, I have a 180 corvair turbo in my 914, unfortunately I got hung up on the cooling and derailed my progress. It was on the road till that point. It screamed compared to the 2.0 type IV. It will be next spring as MN has salt covered roads.

I have went back to the stock layout but I would recommend doing a 140 verses the turbo, you run out of room in the engine compartment, I had to make some slight modifications.
Rand
We all know Corvair is not a smart conversion. Less effort to get three times the power is so easy. It's just an air cooled thing. Drawing the line between artists and drivers I guess.
r3dplanet
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 2 2019, 05:20 PM) *

We all know Corvair is not a smart conversion. Less effort to get three times the power is so easy. It's just an air cooled thing. Drawing the line between artists and drivers I guess.

Any air cooled examples of that?
Mikey914
Think of it as a budget 6. Still not "correct" but a reasonable alternative.
sixnotfour
GM v6-8 versus GM flat 6 .....cult like but still GM
DaveO90s4
The the OP and to all, input a 140 hp reverse rotation Corvair engine into my 1.8L 914. The project is finished. Goes really well, does not overheat, was a relatively easy installation, a bit of fiddling and thinking and so on, but it fits really nicely. I didn’t have the money for a 911 engine, not for a 2270 4 cyl, and the Corvair engine does everything I need. I reckon it accelerates about the same as my 84 3.2 L Carrera.

Happy to share info / pics on request.

Cheers all,

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.