Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Dell is leaky and I can't make it stop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cdmcse
I have Dellorto 40s on my car (1.8L). During my rustoration over the winter I went ahead and rebuilt them and re-jetted them. The driver side works perfectly, but the passenger side has what I am assuming to be a float problem.

When the gas flows to the carb it just gushes out both throats and I can't figure out why. I have had the carb apart 6 or 7 times now, but can't make it better. Here are the things I've done already...

1)Tried every combination of old and new needle and seat. (The carbs never had this problem prior to the re-build)
2) Adjusted the float - I can blow in the inlet and with light pressure on the float it seems to stop ok.
3) Checked all the gaskets / seals
4) Tested the float, it floats like a cork
5) Ran my fuel pressure down to 1psi (normally it is a 4psi)
6) Inspected everything and saw no debris or dirt anywhere. (they were cleaned in a parts washer during the re-build)
7) Once it is assembled I can hear the float moving freely in the body.

Any other suggestions. What could it be? I'm stumped.
Type 4 Unleashed
Mr. Stumped

It sounds like the float is droping to low, and the needle is binding up, not allowing the float to rise to cut off the fuel.

With the top plat off, let the float hang down, you see where the tab sits against the stand, raise the float and bend the tab so the float doesn't drop so low, it won't change where the float closes the needle and seat.

Hope this helps. biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Sounds like you have a case of "Delorto drip" meaning that one of the internal plugs inside the carbs circuitry has become loose and is dumping fuel- All the time.

This is a common carb issue with Dells and can be repaired by Art Thraen at Aircooled Engineering in Salt Lake City with no sweat and a quick turn around.

If the float work does not solve it- Its Dell Drip, pull off the carb and send it to Art.

BTW- You did nothing wrong- This just "Happens" all of a sudden to some DRLA series carbs- It happened on my 3.0 on the dyno with my pair of NOS 48 Dells that had never been ran...
cdmcse
Thanks Jake! That must be what it is. I would have never figured that out. I'm pretty sure the float is working ok. I'll call aircooled engineering and see if he can fix it.

This site is the real deal beerchug.gif
cdmcse
OK, Just a little update for you guys running Dellortos if you have this problem.

I talked to aircooled engineering in SLC as suggested by Jake. They seem really knowledgeable and can rebuild the dells and test them. He said the price varies depending on what parts / work is required, but the averge pair is usally around $360.

I also chatted via e-mail with the Alpha Guy on ebay that sells all the carb parts. He said that the inner plug thing is mighty rare to come across and suggested I remove the tops of the carbs while they were in the car and measure the fuel in the bowl. I did this and the leaking one seems high. He said:
You must set the float height at 6mm off the top when the needle starts closing, not when the spring of the needle is loaded

I had the brilliant idea to swap the tops of the carbs. The problem moved to the other carb, so I guess this proves that it is a float problem.

Looking at the float it is somewhat tweaked now, so I am going to try and replace it, the needle and seat. Wish me luck to find one.
Type 4 Unleashed
You must set the float height at 6mm off the top when the needle starts closing, not when the spring of the needle is loaded

This is how I, set Dell floats, you can try it, unless you have a better way?

I, hold the top plate sideways, with the float pivots to the top, now the float will swing back and forth. I now swing the float till it just touuches the needle, you can swing it to far, the weight of the float alone will load the needle spring, so just till it touches.

Now to measure, I take a post it pad, I think there 2" square, I take off as many sheets as needed to get the size required, in your case 6mm or .236".

Holding the top plate as previously suggested, I slide the 6mm thick post it pad between the float and the top plate adjust as needed, carefully.

Here is a link to a Dell parts guy, he is currently having a 4th of July sale, floats around $24. He also rebuilds Dells $100 apiece, I've been told he does good work.

http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail....l.php?id=185525

I, hope this helps biggrin.gif
cdmcse
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 3 2005, 12:17 AM)
Holding the top plate as previously suggested, I slide the 6mm thick post it pad between the float and the top plate adjust as needed, carefully.

Sweet, I'll see if that guy can help me out. Now where do you adjust the float level at? The small flat piece that pushes the needle, or the one closer to the screw hole?
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Jul 2 2005, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 3 2005, 12:17 AM)

Sweet, I'll see if that guy can help me out. Now where do you adjust the float level at? The small flat piece that pushes the needle, or the one closer to the screw hole?

To, set the float level the one that pushes the needle, the other tab is for the float drop. You can confirm this with Paul the Dell parts guy, and find out if 6mm is correct for the float level, I just set my 48 drla's, but I was told 5mm but then again, it may be different between 40's and 48's, cause, I can't remember the last time I set my 40's.

One of these days, I will go by a Dell book, I have 2 Weber books.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.