Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 will not start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rolmedo
Good morning friends. I ran my 74 914 2.0 a few weeks ago nd it was running a bit hot in traffic and when I parked it in the driveway it would not start. In the evening it started right away and I parked it in the garage. A week went by and I started it and it ran for about 10 seconds and just died. The car has fuel pressure but I had to charge the battery as it just cranks away with no starting. Any thoughts?
BeatNavy
Anything happen or change that could have impacted the fundamentals? Also, is this stock Fuel Injection?

Fuel?
Air?
Spark?
Timing?

I'd start by verifying spark, as that is a very quick process. Then move to fuel delivery. Both of those are pretty easy to verify.

Jumping to possible cause, the "it ran for 10 seconds and then died" always makes me think first of CHT (cylinder head temp sensor). If it's gone bad or has a break in the wire, it effectively floods the engine. Do you smell fuel during sustained cranking?

Welcome to the World!

rolmedo
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 23 2019, 12:38 PM) *

Anything happen or change that could have impacted the fundamentals? Also, is this stock Fuel Injection?

Fuel?
Air?
Spark?
Timing?

I'd start by verifying spark, as that is a very quick process. Then move to fuel delivery. Both of those are pretty easy to verify.

Jumping to possible cause, the "it ran for 10 seconds and then died" always makes me think first of CHT (cylinder head temp sensor). If it's gone bad or has a break in the wire, it effectively floods the engine. Do you smell fuel during sustained cranking?

Welcome to the World!

Yes, stock fuel injection. I do not smell any fuel at all but it has a fuel pressure sensor with a reading of 30.
BeatNavy
Does the fuel pump "buzz" momentarily when you turn the key? Well, assuming you have fuel to the rail then check to see if your injectors are actually firing. Check a plug after sustained cranking to see if it's wet. Or, better, if you can pull an injector out from the cylinder. Leave it hooked up to fuel and electrical and put it the business end in a small jar. Does it squirt any fuel when cranking?

If not, check the electrical connection behind (and attached to) the distributor. If trigger point connector is unplugged you'll get no fuel.

In the meantime, verify spark any way you prefer.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
do you hear the fuel pump run momentarily and stop when you first turn the key to the "on" position??

QUOTE(rolmedo @ Oct 23 2019, 10:15 AM) *

Good morning friends. I ran my 74 914 2.0 a few weeks ago nd it was running a bit hot in traffic and when I parked it in the driveway it would not start. In the evening it started right away and I parked it in the garage. A week went by and I started it and it ran for about 10 seconds and just died. The car has fuel pressure but I had to charge the battery as it just cranks away with no starting. Any thoughts?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.