Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tinted front windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I know it’s illegal in all 50 states to tint your front windshield.
I am not looking for a darker tint just something that will cut down the heat coming through the windshield. Driving back from Phoenix yesterday I could feel the heat hitting me. I am looking at going 50%. I currently have 35% on all other windows.

Anyone else go down this road ??
pploco
I think the rules vary state by state - in Idaho, its 70% +-3%, but no clue on the rules in the Peoples Republic of California. I'm sure you could find someone to do it afterhours for a 6 pack smile.gif
mepstein
Make sure it doesn’t distort your view.
raynekat
I think are plenty of home window tints that aren't dark that can cut that solar radiation down bigtime. Just have to research it.
VaccaRabite
3M makes a 95% film (lets through 95% of the light) that blocks IR and its made expressly for doing what you want to do.

Zach
FlacaProductions
I have this on the front window of my Mercedes Metris and it works as advertised.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automotive-wind...rature-control/
Robarabian
Look for a "Ceramic" tint.. they block UV and heat but can be pretty clear.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 23 2019, 07:48 PM) *

I have this on the front window of my Mercedes Metris and it works as advertised.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automotive-wind...rature-control/

This is the stuff I was talking about. Its way cool!

Zach
Chris914n6
You will never get away with 50%, specially in Cali which is no tint on the windshield.

That being said, 3M and other majors have a 95-70% bluish tint for windshields that cops won't give you crap for, and a shop will actually install it. Expect to pay a pretty penny.

tintdude.com is a good resource.

Krieger
I had the front windows on my work vehicle done. They told me that it would look odd with polarized sunglasses on. In some lighting it looks rainbow like. The film works extremely well uv a/b /heat. I bought non polarized sunglasses.
Larmo63
James actually let you drive your car? bootyshake.gif
914Sixer
Try a border tint at the top, cheap and easy to.
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 23 2019, 10:48 PM) *

James actually let you drive your car? bootyshake.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Coondog
My bad as I should have done a before and after pic.
I ended up going with a 70% tint. Remember in the tint world the higher the number the more light comes through. Not a real noticeable difference and I think it would be very difficult for a cop to even notice. Not that I am even worried about that. Takes about 3 days for tint to fully cure to the glass which eliminates the waviness.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.