Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: intermittent starting revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
It seems I still have my intermittent starting, replaced battery, it's fine was old anyway and read replace, sanded ground to body from battery. What would be the NEXT LOGICAL step to do?
ClayPerrine
Replace the ground strap at the rear of the transmission. Use a braided cable, and make sure the connections to the body are clean and shiny.

brcacti
Thanks where do I buy one? any auto store?
ClayPerrine
Your FLAPS should have one. Get one that looks like this

Click to view attachment

They work better.
brcacti
FLAPS ???????????? Aproximetely how long is the cable and where does the other end attach to?
ClayPerrine
FLAPS= Friendly Local Auto Parts store.

A lot 8-10 inches.

One end attached to a stud on the underside of the rest trunk.
The other end attached to one of the bolts on the transmission.
SteveL
As long as you are replacing the trans ground strap, you might as well refresh the positive cable from the battery to the starter also. They can build up resistance with age, and these cars are 45 years old.
bigkensteele
Not sure what your symptoms are but if it is intermittent, it could be the fuel pump relay that is only present on 1.8 cars. I am ashamed that I have come home on a flatbed twice before I realized that stupid relay fails when it wants and where it wants. Everytime I got home, the car started right up after rolling off the flatbed. If your car is still stock, this relay is on the battery tray. You can't buy the original any longer but the replacement I bought needed a bit of filing to get to fit. Hopefully, you can find the right part.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 24 2019, 05:27 PM) *

FLAPS ???????????? Aproximetely how long is the cable and where does the other end attach to?

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Try the Ford solenoid fix, link is in my signature below.
petza914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 25 2019, 06:05 AM) *

Try the Ford solenoid fix, link is in my signature below.

Yep, I've had one of these in my 914 for 30 years. The contacts inside the starter separate just enough where the minimal trigger amperage won't close them. Adding the relay sends more amperage that allows it to jump the gap and make the starter work.
brcacti
WOW, valuable information thank you to ALL
brcacti
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 24 2019, 03:58 PM) *

Your FLAPS should have one. Get one that looks like this

Click to view attachment

They work better.

Hello Clay, the FLAP autozone said most are using non brained battery wires something like that, you don't think that would work as well?????????? The braided they have is 1/4 inch not wide like in your picture.
StarBear
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 25 2019, 12:37 AM) *

Not sure what your symptoms are but if it is intermittent, it could be the fuel pump relay that is only present on 1.8 cars. I am ashamed that I have come home on a flatbed twice before I realized that stupid relay fails when it wants and where it wants. Everytime I got home, the car started right up after rolling off the flatbed. If your car is still stock, this relay is on the battery tray. You can't buy the original any longer but the replacement I bought needed a bit of filing to get to fit. Hopefully, you can find the right part.

agree.gif Took me a few weeks but that "dual relay" was the issue. Check the wires coming out of the resistor pack - one of them might be loose and sometimes connect, sometimes not (AMHIK).
brcacti
QUOTE(StarBear @ Oct 25 2019, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 25 2019, 12:37 AM) *

agree.gif Took me a few weeks but that "dual relay" was the issue. Check the wires coming out of the resistor pack - one of them might be loose and sometimes connect, sometimes not (AMHIK).

Hello would the fuel relay be the problem of not turning over sometimes or stopping while driving? I think not turning over would be ONLY electrical right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.