Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Brake Caliper ID?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
Getting ready to replace all brake calipers. Trying to identify "early" or "late" style front calipers. My car is a '73 (or so I have been told). The door jamb sticker is gone, so I can't rely on that (PO repainted many moons ago).

The calipers that are currently on the front are "through bolt" style, which I believe means they are "late", but for the life of me I can only locate a single bleeder (inside, top) and I believe the "late" calipers had 2 bleeders?

Any/all help appreciated.
Chi-town
Late have 2 bleeders
Tbrown4x4
You say "through bolt" which should be early with RIBE fasteners and one bleeder.

I have early calipers all around on my '73 because that's the only cores I had. They work fine.

What's your VIN? There is a tag on the driver's side windshield frame and a plate on the pass side headlight bucket (?) and a stamped tag on the pass side fender near the strut top.
sdoolin
Through bolt is the wrong term, my fault. These calipers bolt together, no RIBE fasteners. Still can only find a single bleeder (and I don't see where one may have broken off).

VIN = 4732909003
mepstein
When I got my first 914 in the mid 80’s. They didn’t rebuild calipers, my guy just put in new ones. They wee cheap. Yours may not be original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.