Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 911 "Garage Find"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiacra
OK, mostly off topic, but an interesting story and I know there are a lot of air cooled 911 aficionados out there. Really, the subtitle of this thread should be that you should always keep your eyes open because you really never know who has a treasure sitting in their garage. I have a friend that I've known for about eight years. We run in the same circles, see each other at gatherings at friend's houses, and we've played on the same co-ed softball team for several seasons. During the time I've known her she got married, but then unfortunately her husband got sick (colon cancer) and after 5-6 years of marriage he recently passed away. I've actually known him longer than I've known her, but only because he played softball in the same league. She's been dealing with the estate over the past year as assets are divided up between his inheritors (he has kids from a previous marriage). She knows I have classic cars, including my recent 914 purchase, and she asked me if I would help her with figuring out what to do with her husband's cars. She told me he had two 911's, including one he has had since his early 20's. Recently a professional colleague of his made her an offer just over 30K on one of them, and she was considering how to respond. I'm not a 911 expert, but I do know an expert, so I went over to take pictures to send to him and...wow! An early 1965 911 in superb condition... Not all original in that he had put in a more powerful engine and replaced the seats, but then she told me he had saved all of the original parts, including the replaced seats and the original aluminum block engine. Needless to say the $30K offer was way off base. Yesterday my friend Bill Eason of Eason Auto Works in Oakland, CA picked up the car and it is now at his shop being gone through. He is going to broker the sale after he has fully sorted the car out. Initial reports are good -- original paint, low miles, well maintained, perhaps one area of the passenger door where a dent was repaired. However, he has not finished going through it. Her only requirement for sale is that it not go to an a-hole as the car was her late husband's prize possession. Therefore it will not be going to auction because it is important to her that the car goes to someone who will love and appreciate it. I guess the whole point of this possibly annoying off topic thread is that you never know what has been lurking right under your nose for years.
fiacra
More picturesClick to view attachment
fiacra
more pictures
fiacra
more pics
Unobtanium-inc
Yeah, $30,000 was not the right way to treat a widow.
fiacra
more pics
fiacra
last picture
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiacra @ Oct 27 2019, 11:04 AM) *
Yesterday my friend Bill Eason of Eason Auto Works in Oakland, CA picked up the car and it is now at his shop being gone through.

Say hi to Bill, i haven't been to his shop in a long time, good to see he's still doing well.
bye1.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 27 2019, 11:09 AM) *

Couldn't agree more. However, the vultures do start to circle.... She was smart enough to know she needed to get an expert opinion. I'm happy to have been able to push her towards what I hope will be a happy ending for all involved.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(fiacra @ Oct 27 2019, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 27 2019, 11:09 AM) *

Couldn't agree more. However, the vultures do start to circle.... She was smart enough to know she needed to get an expert opinion. I'm happy to have been able to push her towards what I hope will be a happy ending for all involved.

Over the last 10 years I've done a lot of deals with guys in their 70's or 80's. They all say the same thing, they would rather do a fair deal with me now, than have their wife get ripped off by all of their "friends".
fiacra
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 27 2019, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Oct 27 2019, 11:04 AM) *
Yesterday my friend Bill Eason of Eason Auto Works in Oakland, CA picked up the car and it is now at his shop being gone through.

Say hi to Bill, i haven't been to his shop in a long time, good to see he's still doing well.
bye1.gif

Glad to see you know him too. He's a good guy, honest, hard working, clearly knows his stuff, and dedicated to our classic Porsches. I've benefited immensely from his expertise. Going to his shop is an experience as you are sure to find the most interesting eye candy there.
flyer86d
When they find out you are sick, the vultures come out and start circling. I hope she does well..

Charlie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.