Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Shift Transmission Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SideKick
First Post here on 914World. I've read a lot of posts but haven't taken the time to register before now. I will try to give as much information as possible. If I leave out something critical let me know and I'll update as soon as possible.

I have a side shift transmission (recently rebuilt) that was working pretty well with an every now and then issue going to 4th. The issue started including 2nd as well. Suspected a misalignment. I should mention that all the bushings in the shifter linkage have also recently been replaced. Was working through the adjustment process using 3rd as a starting place. Reconnected the shifter and went through all the gears. Sitting in the garage with the engine off it felt like I was hitting all the gates and the shifter looked to be in the correct position for each. Started the car with the clutch on the floor and shifted to what I thought was reverse. When I disengaged the clutch the car wouldn't go. It felt like the emergency brake was on. It was not. Tried several other gears. Same issue. Removed the boot at the transmission and shifted by hand to what I thought was neutral. It was not neutral but the shifter in the car is positioned and feels like what should be neutral. Shifting by hand at the transmission I can get what I believe are 1st and 3rd. Confirmed by starting the car and disengaging the clutch at each. I can't find any other gears and not even neutral at this point.

I can't seem to find a starting point. Every time I reconnect the shifter after adjustments and shift to what feels like the proper gates it seems to bind up. I can get to 1st and 3rd with the shifter connected but it looks and feels like neutral (only slightly to the left) for 1st and 3rd exactly where neutral should be.

Is this just a severe adjustment issue or am I looking at having to open up the transmission? Anyone else had this experience? Ideas of where to go from here?

I'm left scratching my head on this one as any adjustments I made seem to make little or no change. headbang.gif
Tbrown4x4
Are your cone screws in the shift linkage in place and tight?
SideKick
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Oct 28 2019, 09:06 AM) *

Are your cone screws in the shift linkage in place and tight?

I checked the cone screws. All was good there. I disconnected the shift rod from the transmission completely to take that out of the equation. Tried shifting into any gear I could find directly at the selector on the side of the transmission. There were a few places where I heard what sounded like maybe 2nd or 4th gear engaged but when I got in the car and started it up and started to let the clutch pedal out it was a no-go. Binding. Had I let the clutch all the way out the engine would have stalled. Tried several other "places" with the selector with the same result. Could never find neutral. It's like neutral is just completely gone. One gear (I think 3rd) that I can reach and the car will actually start to move when I let the clutch out. I'm pretty convinced it has to be something internal at this point. Not really treasuring the idea but I think I'm going to have to plan to drop the engine and transmission to get this problem fixed. Guess I know what my winter project is going to be.
Mikey914
Got a group buy going for all the bushings for $20, sure wouldn't hurt to replace all before writing it off. The 2nd and 4th is a lateral issue. I'm assuming you can't find 4th and 5th also? If that's the case could be the knuckle bushings. If you can get 4th and 5th it could be internal (slider?), but the beauty is you will ant these if you did a rebuild.

If you're interested there's a thread gong "tis the season" about just this type of issue.
Hopefully, yours will fall under this category.
914Toy
If you have engaged any one or the gears by hand at the tranny (linkage disconnected) and you start the engine and then engage the clutch and the rear wheels do not rotate, and then return under the car and ensure that the gear is still engaged, you likely have a clutch problem - far less likely an internal tranny problem especially given the rebuild just completed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.