Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trans/body GROUND strap with pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, I have the ground strap off, said to be the next step with intermittent starting problem. It is short, do people usually put a new one on or grind and clean the old one? I sanded the body connection and tried to sand the trans connection (site unseen) in picture lower left seen sideways, Click to view attachmentbut I know I cleaned it at least some. Was not easy to get off as the trans connection almost no room to work. When I put it back am I supposed to use elec-grease on the connections?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
partwerks
Back when I had the WRX conversion, I was having starting problems, and just got a new battery cable to use. It made a big difference in starting.

Over time it has probably lost it's effectiveness.
injunmort
soak in lemon juice overnight and reuse. will look like new.
mepstein
I would get a new one. They are pretty cheap and new works better than old.
brcacti
THANKS, all 3 reply's are GREAT and will give consideration to them all.
wes
I replaced mine when I installed the engine. I figured they aren’t expensive and ground tends too be a problem in older cars.
Superhawk996
agree.gif

Replace it.

This (an old & corroded) ground strap is responsible for more hot start and wiring gremlins that it is given credit for.

When I bought my current project car it had a new starter on it but it would barely crank. It also had a secondary starter solenoid wired in as the typical "hot start" fix.

I replaced the ground with a new one. Pulled out the secondary solenoid and all the crap wiring.

Spun up like a champ whereas it barely cranked. Want to take a guess at how it got the new starter and/or why the car was up for sale?

Do not put dielectric grease on it or between the ground and the attachment points. Unnecessary and will only serve to increase the resistance between the ground strap and it's mating surface.
brcacti
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 29 2019, 05:39 PM) *

agree.gif

Replace it.

This (an old & corroded) ground strap is responsible for more hot start and wiring gremlins that it is given credit for.

When I bought my current project car it had a new starter on it but it would barely crank. It also had a secondary starter solenoid wired in as the typical "hot start" fix.

I replaced the ground with a new one. Pulled out the secondary solenoid and all the crap wiring.

Spun up like a champ whereas it barely cranked. Want to take a guess at how it got the new starter and/or why the car was up for sale?

Do not put dielectric grease on it or between the ground and the attachment points. Unnecessary and will only serve to increase the resistance between the ground strap and it's mating surface.
Thanks, should I use star washers or just regular like what was on it?

Mitox
I’ve had starting issues with old ground straps before; the oxidized and/or corroded copper has very high electrical resistance.

You may want to consider a marine grade cable. They use tinned copper to slow down the corrosion and oxidation process.
ClayPerrine
With the big six, I knew there was no good place to put a ground cable on the transmission. So I put a ground from the right front corner of the cam carrier to the body ground by the battery. Which also has the ground cable from the battery attached to it (along with the DME ground wires).

Once in the chassis, I found a place for a ground strap on the transmission. So I have two of them.

Welcome to the Department of Redundancy Department. biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.