Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK..where should I start?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmcwilli
Hey guys and gals,

I'm ready to begin the incermental improvement of my '74 2.0.

Where should I start?

I want the car to handle better, be a bit grippier.

It needs to stop better.

Engine wise (that's WAY down the road) I'm thinking I'll stay with a type 4 a la jake.

So, starting with suspension and brakes:

- since I'm staying with a T4, and don't need the 5 lug to support the 6, is there any other reason to upgrade to 5 lug?

- Can I get decent tires profile on OEM Fuchs?

- Can I get enough tire profile without going to flares?

- Brakes: I think that the OEM brakes will be fine once I've gone through them and replaced the lines, rebuilt the calipers etc.

- I want a tolerable ride on the street, but do want to AX too.

- Shocks, sway bar sizes?

I know that these are pretty general questions, and I am looking for opinions. There is no one way to do this.

I'm especially interested in arguments for going 5 lug, even staying with the T4.

So if it was your car, where would you start? (I'm definintely starting with the brakes..I wanna live!)
tat2dphreak
my take, which we all know is worth stromberg.gif ...

- since I'm staying with a T4, and don't need the 5 lug to support the 6, is there any other reason to upgrade to 5 lug?

rim choices, maybe, but I don't think that's worth it... it's a "if you want to.." thing... now, at about 175-200hp, I start thinking that 911 brakes are looking real good.

- Can I get decent tires profile on OEM Fuchs?

sure, you can get plenty of good tires... 205/50/R15 has a lot of choices

- Brakes: I think that the OEM brakes will be fine once I've gone through them and replaced the lines, rebuilt the calipers etc.

Eric Shea's calipers are the way to go, great looking and completely rebuilt!

- Can I get enough tire profile without going to flares?

I think that varyies a little, car to car, but 205/50 is a decent width tire, and should work on stock flares...

you're making a smart move starting with brakes...

staying type 4, to me, is great... easier to work on(since I know dick about /6s) cheaper for parts... and if you are going with a Raby engine... cream of the crop... I honestly believe Jake's 4 is better money spent... a /6 is nice, but you have to hunt, and find and fab and so your car is in the air for months... I don't think a 6 conversion is an afternoon/weekend project. but a raby 4 is plug-n-play. I won't argue the $$ side... as that's close to a wash...

shocks? I think Bilstiens are a good balance for street and auto-x...

I was kinda in the same boat as you when I started my project... I needed and engine, brakes and interior(that I knew about)... in a way, I kinda did it backwards though... I did the engine, and brakes, then started a quest for rust... which I wish I had done first now... so, make sure the body is rust free, then get the brakes ready and be keeping a watch out... in case Jake has an engine that a customer doesn't pick up... it's happened before, and people got a great deal because of it... watch shoptalk forums too for that.
bmcwilli
Wayne

thanks for the reply. good level headed advice...that's what I seek here.

car is pretty rust free, as it lived in SoCal till I imported it to NC.

You DFW guys are pretty busy and connected.

Makes me think sometimes I shoulda stayed in the Lone Star State.

tat2dphreak
it's going to be 100+ today... I think you made a good choice wink.gif

I love NC, my wife and I went there for our 1st trip together when we were dating, and again for our honeymoon... nice place!

you are welcome to come down anytime though!

as for the car, it's beautiful in stock form, and leaving it close to stock is the right thing, IMO. not every car needs a 6 conversion and 5 lug brakes to be sweet... the 4 bangers need love too smile.gif
d914
here is my best guess:
1) eric shea brakes
2) shift bushings
3) 19mm sway bar
4) 150 -180 springs
5) engman stiffener
6) something to hold you in the seat, better seat or 4-5 points belts
7) check shocks and struts
8) new bushings (elephant racing??)
9) new ball joints
10) NOW the HP!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.