Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with car purchase (PPI) in California.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
71six
Fellow 914 owners,
Having owned a 914 since 1971 you might say I'm committed to the design. That said I plan on furthering that commitment by purchasing this car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341050

The owner is located in Vacaville, California I believe and because I am located in New England I will be unable to actually see the car before I purchase and was wondering if a fellow member would be willing to look at the car for me.

Thanks,
Mark

914_7T3
QUOTE(71six @ Oct 29 2019, 08:49 AM) *

Fellow 914 owners,
Having owned a 914 since 1971 you might say I'm committed to the design. That said I plan on furthering that commitment by purchasing this car.

The owner is located in Vacaville, California I believe and because I am located in New England I will be unable to actually see the car before I purchase and was wondering if a fellow member would be willing to look at the car for me.

Thanks,
Mark

Maybe @Dominic can help.

beerchug.gif

SirAndy
Fellow 914 owners,

I would normally help since this is fairly close to me but i pulled a muscle in my lower back on Saturday and i can't walk (or drive) let alone crawl under a car to inspect it.
sad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 29 2019, 01:48 PM) *

Fellow 914 owners,

Thanks,
Mark

Maybe @Dominic can help.

beerchug.gif

Conflict of interest. It’s Dominic’s car. I haven’t “inspected it, but I’ve seen it. He probably isn’t asking enough... smile.gif
sixnotfour
I Jeff Hines, bought that Six, out of a barn in olympia ,washington, 1998?? for $9000, its from florida,,where the GT flairs where installed as well as a 67S engine...the #s matching longblock was included..
The owner passed away and I purchased it from his Dad, would not start...Ran great,, loved it, except for the mouse piss smell....they were in the longs, drove it 2 yrs , sold to a buddy,Kelly Taylor,, who sold it to a buddy, Craig Dick,,It got a 3.0,He then sold it to Brooke Stabbert, who finally restored it properly, and installed the S engine... this was all done in WA. state...fun times

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37210452@N06/...157628092486963
RFoulds

Fellow 914 owners,

Thanks,
Mark

Forget the PPI. if you have the means, and a 914-6 with this kind of documented history and restoration is for sale within your budget, buy it. buy it all day.
914_7T3
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 29 2019, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 29 2019, 01:48 PM) *

Fellow 914 owners,

Thanks,
Mark

Maybe @Dominic can help.

beerchug.gif

Conflict of interest. It’s Dominic’s car. I haven’t “inspected it, but I’ve seen it. He probably isn’t asking enough... smile.gif

So much for that great idea, probably should have clicked the link first.
Cairo94507
I was just in Vacaville 2 hours ago! My Internet has been down for 3 days due to the fires and PG&E playing games with us. I may be able to do this on 11/1 Friday of that works for you. Let me know with a PM. Vacaville is only about 1 hour from me.
thelogo
This is way past a ppi
I mean the car is totally tricked out .... You cant see that ?

beer3.gif

Really cool ride

But if your forking over 80k i would think orignal\6 non flared /mod
Would be your thing

Or build your own customized or personalized conversion ? huh.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow I would say that in today's market that car is a hell of a buy and with the meticulous care that it has been given in its construction and maintenance, someone should immediately jump on it.
mtndawg
Dominic's name comes up on here pretty often and it looks like he's been a member for 16 years.
71six
Presently awaiting a reply from Dominic concerning details of the purchase. rolleyes.gif
71six
Cairo94507 I sent you 2 messages via pm.

Mark
ConeDodger
QUOTE(71six @ Oct 29 2019, 09:11 PM) *

Presently awaiting a reply from Dominic concerning details of the purchase. rolleyes.gif

You don’t need a ppi. You need a pen to write the check. Last I saw this car it was parked in front of my business in Sonoma. It is pretty fuchin’ immaculate...

That’s not enough money... it would cost that to build it.
Dominic
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 29 2019, 02:53 PM) *

I was just in Vacaville 2 hours ago! My Internet has been down for 3 days due to the fires and PG&E playing games with us. I may be able to do this on 11/1 Friday of that works for you. Let me know with a PM. Vacaville is only about 1 hour from me.

I'll PM you, Thanks!
Dominic
a9146luvr
How much could a r/t flight cost out Sat morning and inspect the car then flight back Sunday, for an $80000 investment sounds reasonable to me. You could even pay in person. screwy.gif Is your weekend really that booked? Babysitters too expensive? You're buyin an $80000 pleasure car.
sixnotfour
8 plus hr plane ride
mepstein
QUOTE(a9146luvr @ Oct 30 2019, 01:03 AM) *

How much could a r/t flight cost out Sat morning and inspect the car then flight back Sunday, for an $80000 investment sounds reasonable to me. You could even pay in person. screwy.gif Is your weekend really that booked? Babysitters too expensive? You're buyin an $80000 pleasure car.

My thought exactly. I would want to see in person. I guess $80K means more to me than it does to others.
71six
This is not a defense of my decision just an explanation why I am not venturing from the east coast to the west and back to view Dominic's 914-6.. I'm 70 years old and still work 40 hours per week including 12 hour night shifts on the weekends in a hospital boiler room /chiller plant /RO-DI water treatment / emergency generator / engineering facility. I'm a blue collar individual with a penchant for Porsche's (914's specifically) and European motorcycle of Italian and German descent. The sum of money we are discussing is by no means minor at my income level and I will be robbing from Peter to pay Paul (depleting my retirement account) realizing it will postpone my retirement several years. Well worth the sacrifice in my opinion looking at the spec's of this car. driving.gif
sixnotfour
You have a better history of the GT than most do, When I owned it it had never been in a major crash, I think a front fender was replaced..maybe not , long time ago,,
the flares were on it and there was a bubble at the weld in a couple spots..other than the mice infestation ,,It was a great -6, I know all the people from Wa. that played with it. Untill Brooke sold it.... Conrad the painter was used by alot of the crowd in the Seattle area.. you can check out Brooke on pelican and a few posts here ,, RSwannabe ...there was some of the resto paint on pelican, but Ithink he deleted it,He is a 911 guy..Akers who built the engine has been in downtown Seattle for ever..Good Luck

Also Redmond Euro did the trans, as they did the 3.o install, It had the factory -6 tailshift trans when I had it.
The main harness behind the brake fluid reservoir, was missing the tape wrap when I bought it, I assumed the mice ate it...
brooke had The transmission was rebuilt by Bernie Buschen with custom short gears (A, F, Ka, Q, X) and a GT torsion limited slip differential.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 30 2019, 08:35 AM) *

You have a better history of the GT than most do, When I owned it it had never been in a major crash, I think a front fender was replaced..maybe not , long time ago,,
the flares were on it and there was a bubble at the weld in a couple spots..other than the mice infestation ,,It was a great -6, I know all the people from Wa. that played with it. Untill Brooke sold it.... Conrad the painter was used by alot of the crowd in the Seattle area.. you can check out Brooke on pelican and a few posts here ,, RSwannabe ...there was some of the resto paint on pelican, but Ithink he deleted it,He is a 911 guy..Akers who built the engine has been in downtown Seattle for ever..Good Luck

Also Redmond Euro did the trans, as they did the 3.o install, It had the factory -6 tailshift trans when I had it.
The main harness behind the brake fluid reservoir, was missing the tape wrap when I bought it, I assumed the mice ate it...
brooke had The transmission was rebuilt by Bernie Buschen with custom short gears (A, F, Ka, Q, X) and a GT torsion limited slip differential.

Isn't this the flared 914-6 that had the flares on backwards or the fronts were centered and not pushed forward like they should've been? Something like that.

I remember the wiring you had to clean up and the 67' S engine.
sixnotfour
Isn't this the flared 914-6 that had the flares on backwards or the fronts were centered and not pushed forward like they should've been? Something like that.

not this one...these are pretty nice..
Dominic
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 30 2019, 08:35 AM) *

Thanks for helping fill in the blanks in the history of this car. It's still a solid car, great driver, not a concourse queen. BTW, I no longer have the custom short gears, back to stock (Tall) gears with ZD 5th gear.

The car is still for sale at this point of anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Dominic
fiacra

Thanks for helping fill in the blanks in the history of this car. It's still a solid car, great driver, not a concourse queen. BTW, I no longer have the custom short gears, back to stock (Tall) gears with ZD 5th gear.

The car is still for sale at this point of anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Dominic
[/quote]

I don't know the car, but I have met Dominic and I'd vouch for his character. $80K is a hefty chunk of money, but prima facie the car seems worth that or more in today's market. If I had that amount of disposable income I'd be in Vacaville today. If it were me, I'd invest the money for a PPI, but that is just me. If you wanted to do a "formal" PPI I would get in touch with Bill Eason at Eason Motor Works in Oakland and have him do the PPI. Not cheap, but he will be thorough and honest. Spending 80K long distance makes me nervous and I'd want somebody with skills and experience to go through the car.

@sirandy Sorry to hear about your back. I'm in the clinic today 9-2, walk-in orthopedic only urgent care in Oakland... (Webster OrthoNow). On site xray, MRI, etc.... No appointment needed. VIP treatment for anybody who shows up in a 914!
Cairo94507
I can tell you Dominic's Six runs very nice and rides just as nice. Dominic is a great guy and a true Porsche lover. beerchug.gif
71six
I can add he is a great guy to deal with and whomever buys his car will be getting a very special 914-6. Regrettably it will not be me though. sad.gif
RSWannabe
Hi, Brooke Stabbert here. All the info Jeff has shared about the car and my time with it is accurate. Great car and lots of fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.